Notices

I experienced something that made me sad today

Old 12-21-2008, 03:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Chiy, what you did was very kind. And thank you for sharing this story, made me sad for the guy in it, I hope he finds his way eventually.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You are amazing Chiynita, reading your story has humbled me, I am going to try and achieve that level of compassion, i am so quick to judge sometimes and i havent got the right.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Trish.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There, but for the grace of God, go I. THank you for being kind to someone still suffering.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I just have to say that if it wasnt for all of you here. I wouldnt have felt like I did.
I would have been livid. Cussed like crazy and probably would have left his bed just as I found it. That would have been the old me.

Even tho I am an addict..Alcohol has played a huge role in my life growing up and was the cause of alot pain for me as a kid. So I do have a certain degree of intolerance for alcohol.

But really when I put the face to that person when I saw his badge. It became real. It wasnt just some faceless person who left me a disgusting mess.

And whether he be a business man..blue collar or some homeless person. My heart would have still felt the same.

So it is SR that has showed me how to have that compassion for our fellow sufferers.

So the real thanks goes to every one of you.
Because without you guys here. I would never have been able to look past that.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choose2bhappy View Post
You are a good good person.

I agree!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Yo know, Chiy...

I just got the thought...what if...we had all the faces of each member here.

Each new person that asks for help. And each "old" friend here.

Of course we don't..we are cautioned to share our faces at our own

discretion.

But the thought for some reason made cry.

I wonder how different our sharing would be..would our answers be so quick, would

we take more time reading..and listening to what the member was saying?

Would it make difference in the way we reached out in our sharing back?

I am convicted in my heart.

One of my motto's is "Everything happens for a reason"...

I am glad I read this thread Chiy..I can almost see that bed, and the face on that

badge.

Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Reading this tugged at my heart strings. I felt the annoyance with you, then the pain for the man and the shame he must have felt when he woke up and realized what he had done.

The fact that you were able to see that he was one of "us" and gave him that extra care even though he didn't know it, shows what a good person and what a good heart you have.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I came face to face wit that man today.
I was cleaning the room across from his and he came out.
I smiled when we made eye contact. He looked very meek and walked with his head down.
He also had the do not disturb sign on his door today.
He looked alot different then his badge.

About 2 hours later I passed him again as he came out of his room. I smiled and greeted him and asked if he needed service today. He said quickly and quietly no thank you and once again walked with his head down.

I could see in his eyes they were blood shot and glazed.

He looked like a very mild mannered man.

I wanted so bad to slide a note under his door with SR's web address as I seen he had a laptop in his room yesterday.

But it is not for me to do that. And I wouldnt want to cross that line or embarrass him.
But I wanted to really really bad.
So he knew there was a safe discreet place he could find friends that understand.

Maybe he is clueless to his disease. Maybe he doesnt need or want help.
Maybe I am just assuming things.

It just really breaks my heart. Thats all. ANd to know this man is all alone in a hotel room with nothing more than a bunch of alcohol.

Anyway.

I agree Sherry...Maybe we would act differently if we were to see every face we encountered here. For me it makes it realer. But it doesnt change the fact that I do know there are real human beings just like me on the other end.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Chiy, I'd feel like you - I'd want to slip him a note - but I guess it could be traced back to you, & if he complained it wouldn't be good. I was just looking at a Youtube video of Craig Ferguson talking about soaking his sheets in a room he stayed in while on a bender 15 yrs. ago before getting sober, then I saw this post. (I'd post the video from Feb. '07 but I'm too DUMB.) Apparently, he too found that a humiliating moment that led him to getting help.

Thank you for being the empathetic person you are, Chiy. I sometimes think we addicts are a cut above the rest in that department.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I'll be sending this man my thoughts and prayers...

And if everyone reading your thread will in their own manner and belief,

that is a lot of energy going out. So..if and when you see him again,

you "see" our faces..we also see his...

The ripple effect is a powerful force.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

that makes me sad to read that is very understanding and empathetic of you
***sending positive energy out to this mans way***
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Chiy,

That was so very kind of you. I too, would have been tempted to slip a note under the door. It was probably best that you didn't as it may have led to a complaint. But we can all send some positive thoughts for him.

You are a very generous person. I'm glad you're out of that phone center. I think you have some great things ahead of you.

Love,

Lenina
Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
jh1

Thats definitely a situation that i encountered in college a few times whether it be me or someone else. Thats so awesome you put the day of work, the nastiness of the situation, and your feeeling of anger away and really put yourself in the shoes of obviously an individual who is lost like all of us were/are at one point or another. It takes a very big person to do what you did, and you never know good deeds like that can sometimes change a persons life. I still believe that staying positive and doing kind things can have immense effects on others lives-even though you may not even know it.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Chi - No doubt you're an angel. My prayers are going up for that man.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

While abf was on recent hols abroad, alone and drinking, he stayed at a pub for 3 nights, because he was too drunk to drive back to his friend's place out of town. He really soiled the bed on each of those 3 nights, and was near tears when telling me about it, as he was so disgusted at himself. He was also very ashamed to face the pub owner, who knew he had "done something", as he rinsed the sheets out in the shower each morning, and she made up his bed with clean linen.

It was while rinsing the last lot of filthy linen, that he says he knew he had to quit there and then, because alcohol had turned him back into a child needing a nappy, and his mind into mush. The pub owners said nothing about this, nor commented when he had to use both hands to hold his glass of water.
They just didn't fill the glass too much, varied his drinks and made sure abf had food until
later that afternoon, he was ok to drive to his friend. He hasn't had a drink since, thanks be to God.

Those pub owners didn't make a fool of him, berate him, suggest that "he may have a drinking problem", or even offer any help. They just quietly cleaned up, shut up and did what they could to get him over the hump. He had gone from around 20 pots and a 6 pack of beer a day for the past 3 days to nothing but water or orange juice, and with the shakes etc they knew he was suffering wd hell.

Chiy - I too hope that the man you saw, looking so down and meek, will also come to his bottom (or whatever it is called) and if so, it may well be because of people like you and those pub owners in NZ, who cared.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Chiynita

thanks for sharing this...i'm so glad i read it. i hope all the positive and loving thoughts this man is receiving from us and who else, i hope these thoughts warm his spirit and he comes to be his best loving self and does wonderful things for our world.

i've been touched with love reading this thread

thanks everyone