Notices

Day 1 - Again

Old 12-27-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ExNavyInHouston View Post
What I was really looking for is people to chime in that have had good stories about it. There are plenty on here that show the horror stories, and you should expect that on a website like this.
lol.... yeah, I think the problem is that many many people on this site have addictive personalities Ambien is thought to have a lower addictive potential than a lot of the other sleep drugs (in the name of all that's holy stay AWAY from Xanax!!!!!) but I dunno, for me, I can get addicted to d@mn near anything. I don't even take Benadryl to get to sleep anymore because I don't wanna associate popping a pill with quick relaxation and sleep like that, if that makes any sense?
Old 12-27-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Ex, you might want to start a new thread for this, as people are reading here under your "Day One" thread. Might get more responses that way, but like SS said, a lot (or all?) of us have addictive personalities.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

SelfSeeking -- I do understand. Funny thing you mention Xanax. I actually have Xanax in my freezer along with Vicodin.

I'm mid-way through a huge dental project. I am replacing old horrid teeth with completely new Porcelain Crowns. I can't begin to tell you what a project it is to convert 28 teeth (including a bridge) over to porcelain. OUCH!

The reason I have it is because the Xanax is prescribed as part of her anesthesia ritual. The night before I go in, I take one so I sleep relaxed, then the following morning one hour before arriving and then up to two more (1 mgs each) throughout the day. Understand this is 11 hours each episode in the dentist chair. She grinds and whittles away at my old teeth and takes molds and then builds me acrylic temporaries. I have to wait a month for the porcelains to be manufactured and then I go back in for another long session.

I just don't have a desire to take the Xanax as a fiend ... but I do see why so many people abuse them. I will toss them to take away from temptation. I certainly haven't taken any in the last 8 days.

As far as the Vicodins ... those are for post op pain and for any additional pain I might experience between sessions. But she only gives me 16 total to cover the two days after surgery and the month that follows. I rarely take them, but you have to understand, I can't even bite down on a salad crouton right now. If I do lingering pain follows that escalates.

Thank goodness, I don't like the side effects of Vicodin because most of them are still on storage. The nausea and constipation are enough to keep them as emergency only.

The only over the counter pain reliever I have success with is Ibuprofen (Advil). So most of the time that is all I use. However, if it is a particularly bad day and I get near the maximum daily use I then fall back on the Vicodin. Like I said it is very rare and I can't remember the last day I did that.

All of this dental work is scheduled to be over January 21.

The last visit my dentist used her in-house surgeon to administer Demoral and some anti-nausea drugs. She said she wanted me to rest more in the chair. The Demoral worked great for about 5 hours. I was in la-la land. But I woke up after that and it was hard to keep me comfortable because after that amount of time my body was sucking right through the numbing shots they use in the mouth and on the gums. That meant she was having to poke more holes in my mouth. Hence, the need for post-op pain care.

So far these things are just not temptations to me. But I can see where when the newness of being proud of my sobriety wears off - where I might look for my "feel good" buzz in those Xanax ... so they have to go.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Ex- glad to see you here on day 8! I had my fingers crossed for you as you ventured back to one of your old haunts. Sounds like you are doing great and staying strong!

Good luck with the insomnia. I too have heard good things about SleepMD.

See you tomorrow on day 9!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hey dont throw away drugs that are actually helping you cope.

Unless of course you are worried about abusing them.

I really shouldnt have read this thread, Im having my teeth done next month (I keep saying that because it seems further away).

Not sure of the exact extent of the treatment but the first stage is going to take up to four hours.

I hate the dentist so much and ive had so many bad experiences but it is a common side affect of alcoholism so i suppose im just going to have to suck it up.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

Hey dont throw away drugs that are actually helping you cope.
I have no legitimate use for the Xanax ... she prescribes 6 each time but I only use four.

Before I started my Sobriety Counter 8 Days ago (last month) I did use a half Xanax on two occasions as an experiment to see if they helped me sleep. They did of course.

But having been inside this shell of a body for so long carrying this screwed up brain around I knew that I was playing with fire.

Of course, me eating that 1/2 Xanax is no different than eating too many Benadryl to sleep. But there is something about using a drug for a reason other than prescribed that begins a slippery slope I don't want on -- even though my motives were good.

I know now if I use them I have to reset my counter. I don't want to do that. It's also one of the reasons I avoid those Vicodins. I know I will only take them as prescribed (or way less). But there is something in the back of my mind that thinks "This too shall pass is a good way to live."
Old 12-27-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

whoa, i couldn't image getting 28 crowns in the amount of time yer talkin--i had two root canals and two crowns this year, and that was quite enough

personally, i sometimes use some over the counter sleep aids as a 'break the glass box' just-in-case. however, no matter what it is, i gotta make sure it is very, very rare otherwise they do more harm than good. getting past the sleep anxiety is the part that i usually have trouble with, and even though i don't seem to ever crave sleeping pills physically, the problems they introduce mentally are just not worth it.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

even though i don't seem to ever crave sleeping pills physically, the problems they introduce mentally are just not worth it.
I agree with you ... you and only you (this for everybody) can be the judge of what your motives are when you start putting stuff in your mouth for a desired effect.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I have had success with Ambien :)

Hey Ex, I have just gotten done reading your thread, way to go on your journey I had a 5 day supply subscribed to me when I got my dui in August, my anxiety and insomnia were horrible, I had to get thru the first couple of days. It worked for me, and I got sleep and felt so much better. I had no urge to use them after that hump. I am 41 yrs old, have battled this since my first drink at 14. I am coming up on 4 months now Just thought I would share my experience with it. Keep up the great work! Jackie
Old 12-27-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

EX, happy to hear you are aware of that Rat called addiction...

were do not have to play heros with pain...

and we know about motives...

just one thing that i always remembered...

watch out for major changes in the first year...

the Rat loves changes...

as direccted, and follow directions...

once the Rat has woken, its damm hard to put it back to sleep...

talking about all of what your doing and going through is a huge part...

and listening to the advice of others that have been though simular experiences, and of good professionals is another bonus...

watch'n ya back bro!

more good wishes to you...

rz
Old 12-27-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Hangovers Suck!

Hey X-Squid!

We have too much in common. The dental work - I had periodontal surgery after about a year of sobriety. Doc gave me Ativan, one the night before and one the morning of the first surgery. I forget what type of pain meds, but all that stuff constipates me and ain't no stinking buzz worth all that! So I stuck with acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin) for the next two surgeries. Never had any problems with the meds causing booze triggers, but it's got to be risky and probably not all that good for a heavy drinker with an over-worked liver. And acetaminophen is brutal on a healthy persons liver, so I avoid it if at all possible, and if I have to take it, then only in the recommended doses.

The sleep issue - My sleep has not been great for a while. During my years of sobriety, it got considerably better. I could sleep 4-6 hours, wake up, roll over then go back to sleep the rest of the night, and every now and then actually sleep the whole night through until the alarm clock woke me. After jumping off the wagon, it was back to waking up every hour, tossing and turning, getting up to go to the bathroom and drink water to battle the constant dry mouth from alcohol dehydration. Good nutrition, exercise and time should begin to return sleep patterns closer to normal. Incidentally, the dental work you are having done will likely help your sleep patterns because it should help to get rid of some of the toxins in your body, especially if you had amalgam fillings. Amalgam fillings, erroneously called "silver" fillings contain mercury, which is toxic to humans. I had all my amalgam fillings removed for that reason. You're doing everything right the way it looks from here. Hang in there and you will be sleeping better without any drugs before you know it. It took a lot of years to get your body in the condition it's in now, so it's going to take some weeks or months to begin to reverse it.

Hypnosis - I am convinced it works, and I'd love to learn about these CD's you have. I've just gotten some similar CD's on that subject. Shoot me a PM when you get time.

Looks like you're doing whatever it takes. Keep it up! I'm trotting right along beside you.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

If you have trouble sleeping in the beginning, Melatonin may help. There is a relatively new sleep aid out, OTC, which has melatonin, l-tryptophan, and another natural sleep aid, all rolled into one med. Anything outside of mood altering substances is preferable. If you find you must use a mood altering substance for sleep and/or pain relief avoid trying to do it alone. Give them to someone you trust, in recovery if possible, and let them give them as prescribed. Oh, Toradol works good on dental pain, I know several people in recovery who have had multiple teeth pulled at the same time and got a good result from it.
Do not do this alone.....
On another note, maybe it's time to get honest with your VA Doc.
At the bottom of this, though, is getting rigorously honest with yourself. Do you really need a mood altering substance in your system right now?:chatter
Old 12-28-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

Day 9 - I awoke almost laughing from a dream that I was participating in. It was like I awoke mid-sentence. But since I had taken the 10 mg Ambien my brain was on full alert to side effects or mind bending moments still lingering on.

I guess for now, I am one of the lucky ones. It didn't cause me to try an make naked snow angels in my neighbor's yard (when there's now snow), I didn't try to drive a cop car or rescue a bunny from captivity.

After all I read in some of the other threads I will admit I was apprehensive.

But, my verdict for me - is WOW. I slept through the night, I awoke smiling, popped out of bed and there was no linger effects of the drug affecting my ability to walk.

However, out of respect to the many others on this forum, I will make this promise. I will not take it two nights in a row. I will try Sleep MD as well, and then one night i will try just my hypnosis CD. In other words, no short-term pattern, unless my brain figures out my 3 day pattern.

I will admit sleeping as deeply and as fully rested as I feel this morning is intoxicating. I love good sleep.

Day 9 is upon me and I have a commitment to run 3 miles at our local large city park with a group of friends. I fear that run will do mare damage to me than the Ambien.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

I'm not sure why you have so much apprehension about Ambien.
Classical -- you go up to the search feature on here -- then click ADVANCED -- the search AMBIEN -- in Headlines Only -- then start reading. Horror stories are abundant. Let the record show I loved it and had ZERO negative reactions. Not even a tinge of a carry over hangover.

I just got in from my 5K Run, then we went for a smoothie. This is the best day so far. My head is clear. The whites of my eyes are almost clear. And I am not sure what I am going to do with my day -- I just know what I am NOT going to do.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi ex..... great to hear your still on the road.

.....and your medication post interested me......i feel concerned and felt that i needed to post some experiences that i have had in recovery from chronic alcoholism...

On the subject of sleep.....it took along time for my sleep pattern to return...i would say "return to normal" but to be honest id drunk so long id forgot what normal is....it went like this.......broken sleep.....strange vivid dreams.....too much sleep...no sleep etc.

Even to date my sleep pattern has never gone back to normal and i still have bouts of insomnia..thats why i now work nights....cos i sleep better in the day time.

For years and years id got drunk and fell asleep and it will take along time for my brain to unlearn it.

Anyway.. nobody ever died cos they lost a little sleep..

And on medication...
When i stopped drinking all i thought i had a problem with was booze.
But all too quickly my brain started looking for something else to fix it or to fill the void.

Had a cough a few years ago and found some meds that made me feel sleepy.
and i found it very attractive.........to the point where it scared me into throwing it out. but it played with my mind for weeks.

I have over done sex..computer....sweets...food....scratch cards....
I realized that i have a strong addictive personality.
And i have to be constantly vigilant around my excesses...

I often say at meetings..."if there was a meeting called ..kick the backside out of it anonymous... id go regular" lol

So its not booze or drugs or sex or gambling...............its me and if it makes me feel good ill do it again and again and again and again till im sick.

My take....if i start acting addictivly with something.....i am nearer to a drink which is my ultimate drug...

So even though im an alcoholic i have the potential to be a heroin addict even though ive never taken any......

You may feel this is not relavant to you......i just thought you may want to hear it.
.......Trucker
Old 12-28-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

My friend just left with all my old booze ... he made out well. He got nearly a grand in good booze, a wine cellar fridge thingee, and a blue tooth ear piece I hated.

I also gave up herb I never really dabbled with (once a year) - it was always nice knowing it was around. I probably would try it once or twice a year ... but sober is sober, so I wanted it gone.

For the first time since since sometime in 1994 I have a home or place I am staying without booze in the house.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Wow, ex... that is an amazing thing. You live in a sober house now

I just wanted to say I think my earlier post was judgmental... These drugs we're talking about have their place, I mean, he11, if I was having surgery I'd take them and be grateful. However I know for myself that should I need a painkiller, I'd need to tell my doctor about my history of addiction so that it would be at the top of both of our minds that my use of those drugs be as light and as temporary as possible. Some docs will send people home with a bottle of vicodin and not think twice about it.

Just to say, you need to do what's healthiest for _you_. We don't know your whole situation obviously

Glad you had a good night's sleep!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Back to day 1 again to

I am back to day one after a four night binge from Christmas Eve to last night. My booze brain snuck back up on me "I hate that". I have been a problem drinker since my teens. The last ten years consistenly would go to work, come home and proceed to drink 6-10 units and do it all over again the next night. Then my dad passed away two years ago at the age of 55 and my drinking got worse.

However, one day about six months ago I told myself thats it. I went 34 days without a single drop and then relapsed. I wasn't drinking every day as I use to, but was trying to convince myself I could try and restrict it. It was working *sort of* still drinking too much when drinking, but not every night. Then came holidays from work & I made an excuse to go on a binge again. That lasted five days and I awoke on day six and said time to go sober again.

That sober period lasted 39 days. Relapsed and the same pattern has emerged again. I'm thinking that I am going to have to resign to the fact that total abstinence is the key to figuring my problems out.

Anyways, i'm glad I stumbled onto this site. It may prove to be useful to talk to others in the struggle. Merry belated x-mas and happy new years.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

you'll get more support that way!
Gonzo -- there is plenty of support to go around here. Your story is a common one. Just keep admitting it and keep staying sober.

Most of all, keep coming back here.

I'm keeping this thread going until I reach 30 days.

I also reach out where I feel I have something to offer. In my 30 years of drunk drinking, I'll assure you this isn't my only 9 day run.

Every sustained period of sobriety started with one day and then continues the same way.

Hang in there!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Thank exNavy. I am sure I'll be visiting this site more often. It helps just knowing I am not the only one out there.