Notices

Building New Habits... Day 4!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Building New Habits... Day 4!

Thank you all! I have been lurking since I decided to change my drinking habits 4 days ago! The stories have helped me through the really tough hours!

I am 25 and have been improving my drinking habits since the age of 21, when my husband and I were really bad--- splitting a jug of scotch some nights Now I just really like wine and we got it down to only a couple drinks most nights. However, it was EVERY DAY and got to be costly, both financially and physically. Rare was the day when the BEAST didn't strike after work...and it seemed any excuse to have "just one" was enough. Even though we were drinking a lot less (many nights within manageable limits), it became harder and harder to turn down additional drinks, or to abstain all together. We have never been in any trouble, but I have started to feel like trouble was on the horizon. Then came the wake-up call...went to a friends' house and observed the behavior of his real crazy alcoholic friend. That sunk in big-time, and I stewed about it over my last drinks (4 that night). The next morning, 4 days ago I was hung over and realized around 8 PM that I hadn't had a drink even though it was our day off. I went with it...hubby offered a beer and I said no. He seemed happy and ready for a change as well. That night I battled the usual shakes and anxiety, as well as belly pain. Starting day 2, I felt fine, and feel better today come day 4! I can already see my complexion clearing, and I have more energy! The diahrrea seems to be my biggest withdrawl symptom, and that is abating as well...

I realize after days of non-drink that it was much more the habits we got into than the alcohol itself. We went out to Olive Garden (too expensive with drinks, so we usually don't go there) on day 2 as a treat, and had no problem turning down a free wine tasting!! Last night we went to hubby's bro's house, where we usually drink, and were offered beer but decided not to. Nobody said boo, and we had a great time! It's not like we would have any problem with a beer (I NEVER drink more than 1-2 beers...filling but tasty), but we already made a commitment and set which days this season we could drink... Christmas and New Years! Funny, I'm not even concerned or waiting around for those days... and I know its because this is the right time for us to be adults and be more responsible. Also, on the first day sober I read about AVRT, and everything just made sense. And I have identified my danger/habit time...if I just resist the urge for that immediate unwind, and do something else, EAT instead, or take a shower...well, the craving magically vanishes! I really think working in a bar in my early youth set me up to learn bad habits as a drinker...but now I feel powerful and in-control! We have already dropped the more unsavory drinky acquaintances, and don't go to parties, so that's not an issue for us. For a long time we won't be going to bars or the usual after-work haunts, but try new places where the habits are absent. Seems to work so far. Don't feel the need for meetings...the fam and friends know we are abstaining completely, at least for the time being. Always been the type to get things done on my own, and hubby on my side doesn't hurt Some education and reading personal experiences has brought me around, and I can't thank you guys enough!

Peace and Love this holiday season! It will be my best in years!!!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and if support is what you are seeking, you have come to a great place. It sounds like you just want to abstain from alcohol because you were scared, which is as good a reason as any. Good luck and happy Holidays to you and your husband.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and congrats on the decision to stop drinking. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support! Keep coming back! It does get better.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the supportive comments! I know that this is something I can overcome and get back to being myself. It's interesting how the world is beginning to look brighter and clearer... I think the stress that "led" me to want that after-work drink was definitely related to my daily drinking and having to work with very little energy! Vicious circle, like some have said... It seems like when the craving strikes in the late afternoon, anticipating "drink" time, I can mentally replace the anticipation with something else to look forward to (movie, hot chocolate, etc), and plan to enjoy that instead. Still feels a bit weird changing the routine, but the rewards are becoming obvious. I know now that if I had put this off it would get worse...and then all of a sudden I'm 30 but look forty and feel fifty...

And yes, I was scared. Seeing someone so far gone and taking a stern look in the mirror gave me the impetus I needed to finally say ENOUGH OF THIS S*&T...I'M BETTER THAN THIS...I DESERVE IT, MY CUSTOMERS DESERVE IT, AND MY FAMILY DESERVES IT. And that was it. Now the challenge...restructuring my brain so that the BEAST stays where it belongs--- in my head, taking my hand from the hot stove, NOT IN MY GLASS EVERY NIGHT.

Thanks again and I will post as things progress...
Old 12-19-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alright we're going to a family get-together tonight and there will be alcohol imbibed...but not by hubby or me. It gets tough when it's everyone else's weekend...I just have to remind myself that it's not MY weekend, we have work tomorrow. And in any case, I'm sticking to my sober commitment till Christmas. Send me strong thoughts while I sip cocoa, guys! This will be the biggest challenge so far...it's so weird to change things that have been going on so long...