Notices

What Makes an Addict?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sobriety in technicolor

Splendra:
Phenomenal post. Thank you very much for it.

I fully agree that since the disease centers in the limbic system, it is an unconscious function to seek out the dopamine/seretonin enhancing outcomes. This part of our brain rewards us with d/s (the feel-good chemicals) when we do something that will enhance our survivial, i.e. eat and have sex. That is why it is instict to do both things. Because an addict is wired differently in this area, our ability to determine when we have enough dopamine/seretonin is messed up - In this respect, you can say that it is INSTICT for an addict to use.

People wonder why such a smart, reasonable person has trouble saying no to drugs, but think about instict: Are you able to convince yourself that you are not hungry? Can your reasoning override istinctual arousal? Yes, mostly we can control our urges to act out, but sometimes it is very hard to ignore this desire.

So, then why do the 12 steps work? Here's my theory: everything instinctual is build for survival. At some point we've evolved so that we know what to do to survive, we don't need that inherent "jsut go do it" response. I feel that instincts are a function of a lower self, and spirituality is an expression of a higher self. If we tap into the Divine, whether it be an entity or jsut a Good Orderly Direction (something Higher than MY SELF), you get to leave that lower self (instinct) behind.

Regardless of theories and reasons and explanations, I am grateful to be an addict/alcoholic in recovery. Hugs to all
Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by KOOKS View Post
Sailorjohn had asked me what my plan is, I know he is right I just need to get motivated. I think I should start by asking my GP to refer me to a therapist.

That's what I did. It was a last resort. I'd been on SR for a while but couldn't remain sober.

SR is a great resource but it wasn't enough for me.

Not any one thing I do is the solution...but everything works together to keep me together.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Thumbs up

((((Kooks))))

Sorry to say I cannot remember the reference to this. I do not keep up with what the World Health Organization does to me they are too much like the FDA and I don't agree with them on practically any thing. I hope they do not endorse it.

I am sure that there is a doctor who is an addict that has explored this theory he has a book out as well Hypoism, The Disease of Addictions. He is a doctor who had a thriving dialysis practice and ended up under a bridge strung out on heroin I believe. I believe the man has good intent and is passionate about helping people find answers to their addiction. He is not everyone's cup of tea though. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Everyone is such an individual this theory is one of many. I put it out here in hopes it might help someone who is struggling. I think brain chemistry is a clue that could help some people find answers. I believe nutrition plays a major role in whole body chemistry including the brain.

I will say that if the limbic brain chemistry is different in the addict that the addict may want to consider their chemistry normal for them and to not alter it with either prescription drugs from a doctor or illegal drugs or alcohol but learn to accept themselves as they are with their low levels instead of trying to "fix" it.

Last edited by Dee74; 10-13-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: removed commercial link
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link Splendra, I've found the information really interesting, I've been reading it all day but there is so much to take in......my head's buzzing!!

I must buy the book. It doesn't say anything about the recovery programme on the web (as far as I could see) do you know anything about this?

It makes so much sense to me.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that there are many of us here who champion various ideas about addiction and recovery, and indeed about the medical profession.

I'd like to remind everybody tho - the rules on medical advice here on SR are quite clear, and that we all agreed to abide by them when we joined.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
thanks for your cooperation, everybody
D
Old 10-18-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I realize that many addicts and alcoholic need medical help to detox. Some people feel they need medication because a doctor says they do.

Personally I stay away from medicine as much as possible I am very sensitive to many meds that mainstream doctors prescribe. I prefer the advise of natural doctors. I am not a doctor and do not claim to be so. I am very in touch with my own body and my mind. I realize both can get out of balance. I also realize that many people are as in touch with their body and mind as I am.

I go against the tide a lot. I know I am not always right and I can be hated when I am right. My sister says she hates me because I am free. I just don't buy a lot of the things many people do. I believe a person can know what is wrong with them self and do what it takes to get well.

No matter which way you go know that getting well is a process. Sometimes your mind and spirit gets ahead of your body but your body will never get ahead of your mind or your spirit.

Healing is a very private and individual thing. Some people are able to share their experiences with others. I would hope that just because some one reads something that someone else does or worked for them that they would not misconstrue it as something they ought to jump to do.

I have been in contact with the Dr. who calls addiction Hyposim he seems very passionate about his work. I do not receive anything from him to promote his work. I think his theory is interesting and if I fell back into active substance addiction I might consider his methods. I know my brain played a major role in my addiction sickness. I believe when I was working to get clean that balancing out my brain played a major role in me getting well it took both nutrition and awareness of my thoughts and behaviors for me to get well. I see my codependence is about my brain sickness too I just don't use substance but I am still using if I am attempting to control an addict. I am working on getting back my sanity and it is a process.

I am an expert in being me and nothing else.