Notices

11 days

Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 days

Hello all. Well, I joined this site this morning and I figured I'd introduce myself. This is my eleventh day of sobriety. I'm twenty-two years old and I've been drinking heavily since I was sixteen. After a series of progressively negative events (a DUI last year, relationship troubles, depression, etc.) I realized that there was a common denominator to all of them: alcohol. Drinking stopped being fun a while ago. Instead of an outlet, it became a prison cell--every time I drank I was giving more and more of my Self (my center) to an insatiable thirst that could never be quenched. Even now, I still feel the cravings gnawing away at my resolve to stay sober. But, I'm going to keep fighting the good fight, so to speak. For now.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading and responding to your stories/ideas/tips in the future. Take care.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Welcome, Will! Congratulations on 11 days sober! That's a great thing you have done for yourself, and remember to take it day by day! I am rooting for you.

Stick around, this is a great place with alot of great support. Great to hear from you, Will.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Good for you with 11 sober days!

Ah yes, I began using alcohol to self-medicate and it wasn't very long before it was controlling me, completely. I never want to feel like that again.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 11 days!!
Welcome to SR. there is alot of support here.

I surely can connect to the coment -alcohol stopped being fun. I hated getting drunk but needed the booze.
Stay strong and you can make it, might ck into some meetings of sorts to help.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

congrats on 11 days thats a great acheivment~
Old 12-18-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! GLad you are here!
Old 12-18-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your 11 days sober. Glad you joined!
Old 12-18-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind posts everyone. To answer your question "Classical", I write fiction, short stories, etc. but am currently looking for a job in the journalism field. Also, good call in regards to dealing with this now rather than later (at an early age). It was hard for me to imagine that things could get any worse, but alcohol is relentless in that regard: no matter what, it can always make things worse. Which is maddening because the desire to partake in it is still there, waiting for to me slip up...
Old 12-18-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Changes...for me....recovery has been all about
changeing my drinking lifestyle....

Way to go on your sober time
....Welcome to our recovery community
Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

14 days so far!

Hi Will, I'm new here as well. Been 14 days with no alcohol for me. I've been a pretty heavy drinker for over 30 years, but still very functional. But in reality "functioning" is not living and wasn't how I wanted to spend my remaining years. I am taking Alcobuse every other morning and the psychological addiction has been helped by that. No mental gymnastics all day over if I will drink, what I will drink and promises to myself that I will only drink a certain amount. Alcobuse resolves that issue as soon as you swallow it and for 3 or 4 days afterwards.

The best part of waking up each morning now is that my thoughts are not physical assessments of how I feel. "Oh, I feel pretty good, I must have taken it easy last night" or "my head! why did I have that last drink?!".

My depression has lifted considerably and I have more energy and peace than I believe I have ever felt. I literally had my first drink at age 11 and it became my best friend and worst enemy during my life.

Good job on the quitting Will and we can do it. I just wish i was as smart as you are to quit while you still have your life ahead of you.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Will and Sober2009. This is a great place for support. Keep reading and posting and strengthening your resolve to stay sober.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the comments.

Sober2009,
I can definitely relate to the "mental gymnastics" as you aptly described it--fretting over when and what and how to drink the most without crossing the line (which almost always failed, at least in my experience). Also, I agree the mornings are much better. No blackout caused time gaps, fractured memory, fear, shame, etc.

Also, thanks Classical for the response, and good luck with your writing.