Notices

10 days...losing hope

Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 10 days...losing hope

I'm on day 10. No alcohol or oxy's in 10 days. Longest I've went in a very long time. I haven't posted on here in about a year. My wife overdosed 6 months ago. That should have woke me up, but it just made things worse. I just got out of detox and it's so hard not to go right back to using. Using is the only way I know how to function and deal with things. Not to mention, I'm at day 10 and still feel like complete crap. How long will the insomnia last? AAARG!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR and congrats on your 10 days sober. My doctor prescribed meds for me to help with sleeping. I would contact the doctor and ask for help.
Have you tried AA and/or NA? I can tell you if not for AA I would not be sober today. 1-2 meetings a day for most part. It is giving me strength and I think it is rubbing off on me. Your not alone there and will get so much support. Hope you give that a try.
Good luck, congratulations, and keep posting here, we are here for ya.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Are you attending any meetings or addressing these issues in other ways?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did meetings at first in detox. I bought Volara root and benadryll, but neither helps with sleep. I was thinking about grief counseling, but I don't know if I want to dig to much into that right now when it's hard enough staying clean. I'm looking into college. I figure it will keep me busy.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

meetings will keep you busy, and you'll be able to build a network with people who have gone through the same things you're going through. plus, it'll help in every aspect of your life if you really work a program and you won't have to do it alone.

just a thought. good luck.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Using is the only way I know how to function and deal with things. Not to mention, I'm at day 10 and still feel like complete crap. How long will the insomnia last? AAARG!
Actually, it's because you've never learned other ways to function and "live life on life's terms". It may take a while longer before you stop feeling like crap...but, you will definitely begin to feel better, the longer you stay clean and sober. The sleeplessness will decrease, too...you must give it time. Patience is not something we are great on...we're so used to instant gratification...never mind the consequences.

I agree that meetings will give you a lot of support. Surely, they recommended you hit as many as possible when you left detox. A combination of AA and NA would be great...a couple of hours when you'll be among folks who've been where you are and can help you move along in recovery. Please give it a try, and keep posting here at SR to let us know how you're doing.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm planning on starting meetings when the anxiety gets better. I don't want to have to walk out of a meeting because of a panic attack. I'm affraid to get something for the anxiety though because I know i'll abuse the crap out of it. That's what happened to my wife. We took a bunch of xannax while we were doing methadone to detox in June. I figure i'll just stay away from friends and temptations until the anxiety gets better.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I agree with you about not taking something for the anxiety.

A big part of early recovery is learning to cope and get through life's issues, without using some kind of mind-numbing substance. It's hard, but I think the only way to deal with it, is to get through it. The insomnia will get better in time, but ten days is still early in terms of sleeping problems.

Hang in there!