Notices

need help

Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need help

hey guys,
im here alone in my hotel room and tonight is tough. although my wife has said she would go to therapy with me being away makes her think of how i used to be when i went away. i used to call her drunk and she knew it and i tried to hide it. so tonight when i got back to my room i called her and of course shethat just rehashes the past and doesnt move forward. i know it takes time and its only 23 months buy why wont she cut me some slack.im doing the right thing now and i know rome wasnt built in one day but it just hurts.i guess i cant believe that this is what our marrage has become.why did we drink why did we feel the need for that shot of scotch? how did i let it go this far and not see the destruction i was causing. i took something so good and destroyed it. i just feel bad tonight. im happy that im sober its just hard going through this sober.the pain is so real.anyhow thanks for letting me ramble i do feel great that i have people here that understand.:sorry
Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The most important thing is that you're still sober! This is why just for today is so important... Who knows what tomorrow will bring? I know it's hard to realize that what happened in the past is in the past, but honestly, try to think about how great YOU feel... Your wife will come around. Try the therapy. It couldn't hurt.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
IO Storm

She is willing to go to therapy with you. That's good. I am guessing you are separated

because of your drinking and behaviors. It may be hard, but you might want to

cut the conversations short when they get to the attacking level. Politlely.

Therapy is a safe place to "hash out" issues. Not when you are alone and trying

to stay sober. The important thing is ..to stay sober. SR is a good place to

come home to. It is my second home.

And what about AA..have you tried it?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im in AA this is the right thing i know its just so damn hard.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it's very hard. But so worth it. I hope you can go to therapy together. I will keep you in my prayers. Glad you're still sober!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Arthur,

It is really hard and be proud of how hard you're worfking.

Hopefully the counselling you will be getting as a couple will help.

Try to forgive yourself.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just a hug Arthur....hang in there and use your AA numbers as well as posting here (hug)
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Arthur,
You state that you are a member of AA - so I will ask: Have you made direct ammends to your wife? That 9th step works (of course there are 8 to do before 9 is even possible)...therapy may be a good idea - but I don't think one can expect the promises outlined at the ninth step without having gone through the entire process up to that point.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((((Arthur))))
Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"hey guys, im here alone in my hotel room and tonight is tough. although my wife has said she would go to therapy with me being away makes her think of how i used to be when i went away. i used to call her drunk and she knew it and i tried to hide it. so tonight when i got back to my room i called her and of course she that just rehashes the past and doesnt move forward. i know it takes time and its only 23 months buy why wont she cut me some slack."

23 Months isn't an "only 23 months!" 23 months is awesome! She needs maybe to go to Alanon. Has she looked for one?

"im doing the right thing now and i know rome wasnt built in one day but it just hurts.i guess i cant believe that this is what our marrage has become.why did we drink why did we feel the need for that shot of scotch? how did i let it go this far and not see the destruction i was causing. i took something so good and destroyed it."

Note that all the words in bold and underline are past tense. Let's concentrate on today and tomorrow. That's the beauty of yesterday - its yesterday.

"i just feel bad tonight. im happy that im sober its just hard going through this sober.the pain is so real.anyhow thanks for letting me ramble i do feel great that i have people here that understand.:sorry"

It is hard to go through sober and the pain is real and thank God we can feel it and walk through it. Glad you visited SR last night instead of a bottle. We can do this together and again, congratulations on 23 months of sobriety!! Very inspiring and very commendable. Glad you are here.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hey Arthur..

Still here, if you want to come back and talk later.

I am glad you found SR.

In addition to AA..you can come and "vent."

It is a safe place.