Notices

Contract to give up

Old 12-15-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Contract to give up

I have written up a contract to spell out everything that I know to be true about the consequences of drinking again - I want no lies or rationalizations to go along with a relapse. If I am going to fail, I am going to do so with complete mental clarity. I have decided that if I fall off the wagon, if I have no other option available in my mind, then I can cave...all I have to do is read and sign my contract. I am going to carry this contract with me in my wallet and hopefully I can never bring myself to sign it.

I used a contract similar to this as a tool to quit a 17 year addiction to chewing tobacco (I have about 550 days nicotine free as of today).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contract to Give Up

I give up my quit. Quitting is impossible and I cannot do it. I love alcohol more than I love myself. I care about drinking more than I care about my personal health. I love drinking more than I love my family. I know that drinking will eventually kill me, and I ACCEPT that fact. I enjoy spending time alone with my booze more than I enjoy spending time with anyone else on the planet. I know that I will do incredible damage to my relationships with loved ones. I will eventually lose my job, my home and my dignity. I look forward to blacking out, going to jail, destroying my body and my life - it's worth it. When I am lying in my hospital bed or lying in my prison cell all alone or living homeless on the streets I will feel a sense of satisfaction knowing that this is the path I CHOSE. My only regret will be that I didn't start drinking earlier in life. I will feel sorrow and suffer untold pain, but I know you must sacrifice for the things you truly love. I know ALL the consequences of my actions and I accept them fully and without regret. I hereby choose to give my life to this addiction - I do so with a smile on face.

Signature: ____________________

Date: ____________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is an interesting concept, reverse psychology. I never thought of doing something like this, if it works to keep you sober that is great.
I do not know for me if it would work doing that alone as I think I would conveniently forget about it and just go and get my booze. I have to daily do AA and when I have a thought of drinking come thru my head, I have to change the thought immediately.

Would I take the time to read the contract? Hmm..doubt it if that is all I am using to stay sober.

Good luck with this, but I do hope you doing other things to stay sober, reading, AA, rehab., other sobriety groups, and of course this forum..
Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Very practical! I can see why this would work better for a guy than a gal. Guys reach for their wallet to buy the booze. Guys wear their wallets as long as their pants are on. Gals leave their purses behind, especially with a guy. I know I waste more time in the mornings trying to remember which room I left the dang purse in the day before. Sometime I have to use the house phone to call the cell phone to locate my purse.

Also, as a gal I'd have to throw in some emotional strings to really punch myself in the gut!

All in all, I like the contract idea. Congratulations on giving up chewing tobacco!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Bloody brilliant!!!!

I may have to gaffle that from ya...
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jakey~ I like that contract idea, it makes A LOT of sense. And after reading that, picking up a drink is not something I see you doing =)

Proud of you, keep up the good work~
Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jakey...I like it too! Since my problem has been impulsivity, your contract certainly make you pause and REALLY consider the consequences. Thank you!