Notices

How are you doing with the Holidays?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
6/20/08

How are you doing with the Holidays?

Just did my first sober holiday party. Took my appetizer and Diet Coke. Plopped down right next to 3 different 6 packs of beer (my DOC).

Now, I'm snuggled in home. Sober.

In the past I would have sipped a couple of cold ones at the party and then headed home to finish myself off (so noone would know I had a problem).

This was not hard. I just remember towards the end of my drinking crying because I just wanted to stop. Just sobbing because I could not crawl out of the pit I had drank myself in to. I need to remember that forever.

How are the holidays going (in regards to your addiction) for you?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya coffeenut..... well done you good on you for being able to have a great time without the dreaded drink, I think that is awesome!!!!

We don't have Xmas type parties, we are a pretty quiet bunch here (bit of a semi recluse hippy really lol) But I did go to mine and a friends birthday bbq party last week on day 4, and did just enjoy an ice cold coke, that made me feel good

On day 10 now and just getting back into the lifestyle I love, I got my two wee 6 month old goat girls yesterday (Houdinis they are) the land lord is going to be really impressed, it's just as well we're looking for another rental with reasonable landlords, and room to get the striped out bus closer to the house so we can start to work on it and kit it out.

My baby chooks are due to hatch in a week, a friends banty is sitting on them for us, so that will be neat to have chooks again....

Anyway, I will stop waffling, just wanted to say congrats, and our holidays will be blissfully busy with setting up our lifestyle again.

:ghug3
Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I expect my holiday season to rock right along.

Each day I will follow the same routine
God+AA+SR+Family+Friends

It's a fantastic way to live!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
crypticpoet777

Smile

I am making lots and lots of fudge and keeping myself busy as much as I can. Renting all upbeat movies, no drug downer movies. Thanking the universe for how rich I am with friends and a loving family and loving critters in my life. Thankful that my husband and I have food, clothing and shelter because so many in our town do not.
I took jobs that working all holidays were a must and was thrilled to do it to avoid family get togethers. Holidays growing up were the worst!!
Coffeenut, you are doing great all the very best to you..
Old 12-13-2008, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

This is the first holiday season living on my own. While it's different than what I'm used to it's turning out good. The kids and I have plans for decorating the tree on sunday and the time we spend together now is much better.

Working hard on a healthy sober life
and it feels good.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm learning how to make jewelry and its keeping my hands and mind busy while I make gifts for friends and family. I'm also focusing on the shameful way I snuck around drinking last year in my parents home, and how much more positive this holiday season will be. I can focus on my family and friends rather than sit around wondering when I can go sneak another sip off my bottle.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making it thru the holiday party. I know for most it is a definite party time, I do not do many parties, but the parties I might have one drink, but that would be it, I hid my drinking from most..I was a solitary drinker for years now.
They holidays I am looking forward to except for the fact that my husband and I are not doing well...Part of me tries to make it work thru this time, but I have so much built up inside me..I lose it all the time...I need to do steps 4 and 5 then hopefully zoom to 8 as I need to get this all out on the table.
Well anyway, I am looking forward to xmas with my two girls, my grandbabys 2nd christmas and my parents are now in florida,,,whether my husband will join us, I have no idea...my parents do not know of the maritable problems, my drinking etc, so could make for an interesting day...I am taking it one day at a time as if I think ahead drives me nuts. I will handle it when I get to it...
I hope everyone can make this Sober Holiday season a happy memorable one.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

right on my dear friend .. wahooo I'm really proud of you.. just think in week its cake time for you :ghug3 ttly hun
Old 12-13-2008, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Last Xmas I would drive home on some excuse and have a glass or two of wine, then drive back to mom's fortified with breath mints. This year I have no such excuses, nor do I need them. I never did the holiday party scene, always drank alone at home, but now am home alone but not drinking. What a difference! Let's hear it for a sane and sober holiday season!

:ghug2
Old 12-13-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is my second christmas sober this time, and last year my son and i did the holiday at home.

Christmas parties are not an issue for me, but this year is going alot rougher than I expected as far as my FEAR of the approaching holiday goes....

Last year I went into the holiday in a really good place emotionally, and I met a nice man on christmas eve....so it was a really fun christmas season and drinking really never seemed an issue.

This year, I am really dreading December 24/25 with the family and then the 26 through January 5 in isolation after a possible dificult holiday due to family stress of the moment.

Frankly I haven't been dealing with it ... but I love this oportunity to think about a plan....Last year I went to a meeting every day at noon and in the evening....this year perhaps I need to make a plan for lunch with friends each day as the noon meeting will probably not be an option.

There are not that many people around between Christmas and newyears...but that is all the more reason to start looking around now for people to spend some time with then. I find that spending day after day without other adult company is a dangerous thing for me emotionally.

Thanks for giving me a heads up to look at this.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

What are the holidays...? I don't pay them much attention them, lol.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I go into the holidays still riding this emotional, early recovery, roller coaster. I am going to try hard to get outside myself and "be there' for those I love.

Today I will work on the HO railroad track we have put under the tree since my kids were in grade school, maybe now, my 3rd college student son can help me!!

Our office xmas party is Tuesday nite. Since my office knows and is an integral part of my recovery (practically family - talk about grateful!!) they will have some sparkling cider for me - and since I was always the one putting the emphasis on the alcohol, I'm sure that part of it will be low key!

Mark
Old 12-13-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Old 12-13-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Wow! What awesome responces to start the day with.

I guess I'm hearing it CAN be done. When I was drinking, I was just Sure it couldn't happen! If I was drunk by 11 on Christmas Eve, I guess the world woulda come to an end!

I like how everyone doesn't seem to be obsessing about it, but has a plan to keep busy.

This site is my AA. Thank you to each and everyone of you. You are the best.