Notices

Just introducing myself.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Just introducing myself.

I'm a 29 year old single mom with an amazing 2 year old daughter. I'm in the middle of divorcing my high school sweetheart. It's probably the most amicable divorce in history... we both made a lot of mistakes (mine related to alcoholism, his related to repeated infidelity, and who knows if it was alcoholism or infidelity that was the chicken or the egg) but we're on good terms now and we co-parent well. We've been separated and living apart since February. He has our daughter 2 or 3 nights a week and it got to the point that I was basically just holed up in my house drinking until the point where I passed out every one of those nights.

I guess I'd qualify as a "high bottom drunk": I still have a good job, I never drank when I was alone with my daughter (because I knew if I had one drink, I'd need at least 10 more), I never ended up in legal trouble, etc. But I also know that beyond a doubt, I'm an alcoholic. I can't have just one or two drinks -- once I have one, I want ALL of them. Or if I am in a situation (work function, etc) where I can only have one drink, I spend the whole time thinking about when I can have more, more, more, more... can I sneak away and get some? Drink when I get home? It's all encompassing.

I've been sober for just over three weeks now -- since 11/20. I've been to 2 AA meetings. It's tricky because I can't bring a two year old with me and I'm shy anyway, but I'm trying not to make excuses. I liked the group that met on Mondays better than the one on Tuesdays, so I'm going to go back to the Monday meeting this week. And I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about AA, The Steps, etc.

I don't think I have a physical addiction because it's been physically easy to do this so far. But I know that there is definitely a psychological addition though. Even just typing out sneaking away to drink "awakens the beast" and makes me think about it. And it's only 11:00 AM! And I don't want to do that anymore! It just defies reason though.

So anyway... that's me in a nutshell. Thanks for having me.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thanks for sharing your story StrongBird, I hope you'll try some more AA meetings and put together a plan for your recovery, these forums can be a wonderful addition.

I also entered AA as a single parent, my kids are a little older and they attend meetings with me every week. Recovery has given us a life together that's nothing short of a miracle. I hope your life is just as blessed, keep putting those clean and sober days together.

Glad you're here!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! GLad you are here!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and friendship. Congrats on your sober time. I hope you continue to build on it one day at a time - it works!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It does defy reason, Strongbird. I kept going long after I was 29, even when deep inside I knew I was headed for disaster if I didn't quit. Instead, I spent over 25 yrs. trying to moderate with terrible and frightening results. You'll never have to do that, and your daughter will never look at you with disappointment and disgust the way my son once did. Congratulations on your decision.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Welcome, StrongBird!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Strongbird and thanks for giving us some background. Congratulations on being sober since November 20th! That's great! You made it through Thanksgiving and all. I hope you stick around here and we get to know you better.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am glad you are seeking support for your recovery. There are lots of great people here and lots of good information.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome,

I identified strongly with your intro. I entered recovery as a single mom, too. I was 33. I, too, drank whenever the girls were with their Dad. I did drink when they were home, but I told myself it wasn't so bad because I waited until they went to bed.

Here is a link to excerpts from a book called Under the Influence. Both this and it's follow-up, Beyond the Influence, have a lot of information that you may find helpful. I ordered them both through my library when I couldn't find them at bookstores. It didn't cost anything this way and other alkies can borrow them too now!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Stick around, and continue to read and post. There are also chat meetings held nightly - you will find the schedule in our forums under 'Chat'. Tonight's meeting is at 9 pm EST.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you are planning a sober future
for you and your daughter ...

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 12-12-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Strongbird,

I can totally relate to your story. I too have a great job, husband, 3 daughters, but can't stop drinking when I start and never had any physical withdrawal symptoms. I am trying to take it one day at a time now for myself and my family. Thanks for sharing.