Notices

Strange Morning With My Mom and Sis.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Strange Morning With My Mom and Sis.

My mom confessed to me this morning that she drank too much last night and got paranoid about people stealing from her. She called up my sister and had her come over and help her look for items that she thought were missing. And then she called my dad at the office and worried and thrashed him about it (for leaving the door unlocked). And then she finally calmed down and went to bed. The next morning, she found the items she was looking for and felt all embarrassed by her behavior.

Then, after hearing this story from my mom (who also said she drinks every day but doesn't think she has a problem), we went to my sisters house to visit briefly. Well, at 11 in the morning, my sister was drunk. She said she'd given herself a "little vacation" from remodeling her house and was trying to relax by drinking some wine and watching a movie.

I'm like, "Huh?!"

These are the people in my life who've always questioned my drinking and have been so incredibly supportive of my sobriety.

I left my sister's house so freaked out. I didn't even know how to respond. My sister kept crying every time she tried to talk because her emotions were so raw from being drunk (I think).

I don't have really know why I'm telling this story. I guess just to share how surreal it was. I wonder if that's what it was like for other people when I was drunk all the time. Like it's so obvious.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi mle, you must have thought you were in some sort of fantasy land with all that going on. To have both of your loved ones go off the rails at the same time is hard to take, and it's no wonder you freaked out.

The downside is that it has upset you to see them in this condition, especially as they had been supportive of your sobriety.

Seeing them this way, has caused you to wonder if this how others saw you when you were drinking. Your sis freaked you out and upset you, and maybe she showed you just how you were before sobriety.

The upside is, it may greatly strengthen your own resolve to not go back to that same yukky place again.

Thanks for sharing this and I hope the result of this experience brings some good to you.

God bless
Old 12-11-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, mle! I'm just speechless. I happen to believe that things happen for a reason. We don't always understand what that might be, however. Perhaps as Jadmack said, it was to remind you of your current strength and commitment to sobriety, how crazy we can get while intoxicated and how much we can fool ourselves with excuses to drink.

I'm sorry about your family and how that must have made you feel, but aren't you grateful that you are not in that space any longer??
Old 12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I think these experiences show that you are seeing things from a totally different perspective and that's a definite sign of growth. Oh, and yes, I remember the days of the crazy behavior that I tried to pass off as normal...
Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Yes, I think you are all right. More than anything, this is a gratitude moment. Whew! I knew it was important somehow - just couldn't figure out how! Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I believe Anna is right on.

Be easy on yourself. That is not your behavior anymore. You can deal with this in a rational sensible clear-headed way.

:ghug3

love ya!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

What a trip, MLE!

I can't say I've had that encounter!!! Surreal -- I can imagine!!!

How are you doing now? Remember, YOU don't have to go where they're going right now (nor ever). You've got a lot of clean and sober support right here!!! They probably are advocates to see you do well in sobriety. Maybe now they'll look less at you and more in the mirror. I don't know, I'm just glad you let us know here! We got your back, friend!

Hugs,
Nicki:ghug2
Old 12-12-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mle-sober

You guys all make me feel loved and supported. You make me smile. Thank you. And I am terribly greatful to be sober and not have all those dramatic emotional crazy swings. I feel like I'm standing on dry land watching a boat take a slow, painful tumble into the pitching surf.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

we might be related...

Your post reminds me of the time I discovered a bottle of champagne still hanging around the fridge. I decided that I would be the ultimate domestic goddess and have some champagne while I vacuumed and mopped the castle!:wtf2 Drank the whole bottle. I can't recall the rest of that day.

Yeah, I bragged about it at the time. Insanity!

So glad those days are over. It really must have blown your mind to see your family doing those things.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mle-sober

OMG, that makes me laugh!! Yes - that's the type of thing I used to do too! I'll leave it for my sisters and mother to do these things from now on. Thankfully.