Notices

22 year old Alcoholic

Old 12-07-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

22 year old Alcoholic

Hey everyone,
I am 22 years old and I am an alcoholic. I cannot believe I am actually admitting it, but it is the truth. I have been drinking since I was 14 and have always not been able to handle it. I have been to the hospital 2 times for drinking too much and I have almost died once from it. It is not that I drink all that often, it is just that when I do, I CANNOT STOP. Two nights ago I took 5 shots of vodka in 20 minutes and blacked out. I ended up making out with guy in front of a guy I was seeing. I am weak, but I have to become strong.
It is weird because I am so on it in every other aspect of my life, but not with drinking. No one knows I have a problem, but my close friends because I am so straight edged when it comes to work and things like that.

I am done drinking. I have to be...for the sake of my family.
I have worked too hard to just throw it all away.
I have tried to tone down my drinking, but is just not possible.
I am an alcoholic. I am an alcoholic. I cannot believe it's true... I am an alcoholic.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi every1surf.

Yeah that's a really hard thing to admit - it sucks. But now that you have, you can do something about it

Stick around - there's lots to read here, lots of support and advice, lots of help.

Any ideas on your next move?
D
Old 12-07-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From one 22 year old alcoholic to another, welcome. You are blessed to be able to admit that you have a problem. That is so important. Now it is time to do something about it. There are many resources out there to assist your recovery, including these forums. I first admitted I had a problem when I was 18, and I tried to do something about it. I stayed sober for a while, but unfortunately I thought that a sober life was a death sentence. It took another beating for me to make it back, and say that I am truly done with drugs and alcohol.

If you do choose to go to AA meetings, you will find a wealth of help there. One of the advantages of being young is that the older members will be extremely willing to help you. They don't want to see young people like us live in that hell for as long as they had to. You are in the right place here, and you have the potential to have a great, sober life. It is not the end of the world to admit you are an alcoholic, but rather the beginning of a new life. Best of luck and God bless.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

It's always easy to say it, admit it after we feel like crap. The hard part is not drinking when you feel good. Find AA meetings and attend them faithfully. The rest will fall into place. You have to want sobriety more then anything.
I believe you are right that you need to quit for health reasons. The reason you can not drink again is because an alcoholic picks up drinking right where they left off. So if you can down a few shots now.....you'll be able to do that in a year after sobriety. Be careful.
It's a dangerous disease that talks you in to drinking again.
I've lost two beautiful people. One was a female who would NEVER have done the things sober that she did with guys. The guys KNEW this and would always buy her drinks. Don't be nieve and take care of yourself.
You WILL die without help. Please keep coming back. One day at a time hun
Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

How wise of you to stop drinking now.
Congratulations!

Please keep posting...ask questions....
we do understand and are here to support you.

Glad you found us...
Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, I am so glad you are here. I wish I would have realized my problems at 22 rather than 32. You are not alone.

Continue posting and reading, this is an amazing place to come for support.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think I went to reply to your post this morning but then I had to duck off to work.

I am 24. Being sober has made me realise how much of a problem I really did/do have
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much.
When I first thought of alcoholics, I thought... well they are much older than me.
Wow, what a lie that was! It has been 2 days strong and I am hoping I can go on...
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I just want to say that as bad as it may seem... it won't get better if you keep drinking. You should count yourself lucky that you have figured out you have a problem at 22. Imagine your life if you waited until you were 42. As bad as it seems there are many, many good days ahead.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know how hard that is to admit. I was so ashamed that all I could do was hang my head at my first AA meeting. I ran out of gas at age 28.

:ghug :ghug
Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on coming to this realization so early in your life! You have a great opportunity now, don't waste it. You are so young and can have a wonderful life ahead of you. I wish I could go back to age 22 and quit. I'm only 33 but I would love to have those 11 years back.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome and great that you got here. Keep posting, keep reading posts. Many people recommend getting new habits, new things to drink, even new friends if you need to. I am only 30 days in and old enough to be your mother so my story is pretty different but I do know that staying connected with sober people and sober activities will open up sobriety for you - it is amazing. In LifeRing they say there is a sober you inside your brain that needs to dialog with other sober people and things, and you never give it a chance to talk if you are only with drinkers and doing drinking things.

Keep coming here and reading and posting! WELCOME
Old 12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and friendship. You are smart to realize in your youth that you have a problem with alcohol. Best you take care of it now rather than many wasted years later. I wish for strength and courage for you. Getting and staying sober can be done, but it does mean taking life one day at a time.

Welcome!!:ghug3