Notices

2 Years ago tonight ..........

Old 12-09-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Congrats to you and your continuing effort on remaining Sober! What a blessing another Miracle that can be marked in the books! WHOOO HOOOO
Old 12-09-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Love seeing this again Fizzy. Five years is great.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

An inspiring & optimistic thread Fizzy. Wonderful work on making it to 5 years. I'm so glad you came back to say hello.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
What an uplifting story and very familiar. Well done for finding the strength to quit before getting into any serious bother. I am surprised no one smelled it on your breath. I used to imagine that vodka was odorless until people started telling me I was knocking them for six every time I grinned
Thanks folks.

Your right about the smell Kate but thats what we do, we spend so much time trying to kid others that we kid ourselves. I would imagine most people would have smelt vodka off my breath and were too polite to say.

I d always be claiming a cold and eating menthol sweets, favourite trick was to have one drink in front of people as sell, half bottle in secret and one drink in the open which would explain any smell.

Life is so much better without all that crap.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Amazing thread Fizzy, I've just finished reading it from your first post all those years back!! . . . very inspirational!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

What an inspiring story. I've got kids the same age and I do not want them to know a drunk Mom. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Quality thread man.
Keep up the good work sir
Old 05-10-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

I was just reading some of the responses on the post I put up yesterday and somebody mentioned this post, I wrote this originaly roughly half way through my first year of sobriety.

Im not commenting on it now to get loads of well dones or pats on the back, in my mind now I just don t drink , was a big deal once but not any more.

Thought it might be worthwhile just to share my story with people just starting out just to show that it really can be done.

One or two people will remember me but most of you will never have heard from me as I really don t come back on here often enough to say thanks.

I didnt use any help to get sober though apart from leaning on the support I got from the good people on this forum. 10 years ago I was on here every day, talking to people , using it to fill the time, the support I recieved from like minded people just trying to get sober is everything why I m the person I am today.

I m not going to pretend to anyone that its easy and starting out is the hardest part. I dont have any magic answers apart from you just have to believe it gets easier and it truely does after a while. You just have to not pick up that drink. I stayed on here all night sometimes, just reading, posting, , most of it just rubbish but anything to fill the time, get me through that hour, let the feeling of needing a drink pass.

You hit a point though or at least I did that you just don t think of it anymore, you start doing different things, you make new friends, you have more energy and more money in your wallet. Weekends are great as they last longer and you don t waste days feeling ill.

I have so much to be gateful to this site for, I m sober, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread , my kids have never seen their dad drunk.

Son is now 14, daughter 12 later this year, I have a great family, I could so easily have thrown it all away.

To all the newcomers on here I wish you all the very best , I truely hope you can get as much from this site as I did.

The Mods, a few who are still here from when I was on every day, you are awesome, never ever underestimate the fantastic work you do and help you give to people.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Fizzy, I remember you well. Glad to hear you and your family are well. Why don't you visit here more often.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

What a privilege to read through this thread!
Old 04-11-2021, 12:44 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Hi Everyone, hope your all doing well or as well as you can be.

I haven’t been on here for over 2 years which is ridiculous and I feel bad about it as this forum probably saved my life nearly 13 years ago.

unbelievably my daughter who s birth I talked about in my story is now 14 and my son is very nearly 17 and it is one of the things I am most proud of overall , while lots of people have seen me drunk and in a right state in the past, neither of my kids ever have and hopefully never will.

The one thing I can tell people just starting out is that I m not here to say it’s easy or for people to say well done, but this forum really does work, I m proof of it, at the start I was on here day and night and found the support I needed, it was hard at times but days became weeks, then months and I can still remember how happy I was to have been sober a year.

Gradually after that I stopped counting, my visits here became less and less and over the more recent years I ve only popped back in to say thank you.

I have nt came back and said thank you enough though and I m embarrassed to say I only realised it was over 2 years since my last visit when I signed in.

I did still remember my username and password though 😊

Stick with it if your starting out, just do whatever it takes to not pick up that drink, the hours pass and it does become easier.

Even now though after all these years my brain try’s to catch me out, I was made redundant ( was luck got another job ) and I imagine like everyone else found lockdown and Covid tough, I didn’t but I did get thoughts of , you ve no work tomorrow, a couple of cans wouldn’t hurt or when I ve a cold and don’t feel well, just a wee nip of whisky wouldn’t hurt would it, I know it would though, I guess the thoughts never completely go away.

Anyway enough of me rambling on, a huge thank you once again to this forum, hi to anyone still here from my days and remembers me.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:27 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time and thank you so much for checking in to update your thread! I love reading stories like yours 🙏
Old 04-11-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you Fizz and to hear that all is well
congrats on your upcoming milestone!

D
Old 04-11-2021, 01:44 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Great thread Fizzy! I’m inspired by your story an my hat’s off to you for the good news of sobriety!
Old 04-11-2021, 02:33 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hi Fizzy! Glad to hear your update. You ought to stop by more often!
Old 04-11-2021, 02:39 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to hear from you, Fizz. Can't believe the children are that old! I'm so glad you thought of us - so proud of you for taking your life back.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:02 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Hevyn Least Dee, good to see you guys still here and hopefully doing well.

you are so right least, I should stop by more often, it’s the selfish part of me though, I was here every day when I needed you and now I don’t........

I was chatting online to someone today and admitted to them I had a drink problem in the past and that reminded me I hadn’t came by and said thanks in a while, I was shocked to sign in and realise it’s been over two years.

Worth mentioning I think to anyone starting out and doesn’t know me, if you guys remember, I never used any help from anywhere apart from these forums, not trying to pretend it’s easy but I m proof it is possible.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:15 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Well done Fizzy, great post.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thank you for coming back to update, your story is more inspiring than you know. I’m brand new here and haven’t properly introduced myself yet- but a huge reason I find myself here is my 2 kids. I’m longing for a life where they will never experience a drunk parent again.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:13 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

GW80, your in the right place, go post and introduce yourself and take the help, I can’t really explain how it works so well , I just know it does, the help I received was incredible. There is always someone here to talk to which really helps. It was nearly 13 years ago but I spent entire nights on here in my early days, just chatting, posting nonsense but importantly not drinking.

Please don’t let your only post be in here, it’s selfish of me but I probably won’t hang around, there are plenty of folk who will though and they will support and help you.