Notices

Surviving the Office Christmas Party Sober

Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Surviving the Office Christmas Party Sober

How do we? Anyone got any tips? These are the occasions alcohol was made for, lol!!

I've offered to be one of the drivers so no-one will let me drink.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm just not going...
Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Don't sweat it. Most people at the work XMAS "party" will be too busy stuffing their faces, kissing the boss's ass, talking about boring work stuff, or getting too loaded to even notice that you're not drinking.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Take a camera! That is what I am going to do (because I will not be the one that had to much to drink this year, lol)
I will pray before I go (that I am spiritually fit enough not to be bothered) and I will give myself permission to leave if I feel uncomfortable.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

take your own transporation so you can leave when you like

arrive late and leave early

take a recovering person with you as your "date" or a sympathetic friend who will not drink right along with you.

Dont go to the liquer store before or after the party

hold on to your own drink

oh yeah.....have fun 8
Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
For the first 10 years I worked at our company, our Christmas party was a weekend at a local resort, drinks were free and we spent the entire time falling-down sloppy drunk.

It hasn't been a problem for the last 4 years.

If we're sitting poolside I drink a soda. When we go out for dinner I have a sparkling water with lime, it almost looks like a cocktail. After dinner I have coffee.

And what works best for me......If the temptation gets to be too much, I walk away and come back later if I feel like it. Oh, and I can call a friend from AA too.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

For this kind of thing I get in and get out fast.

Show up, glad-hand, schmooz a little, and GTFO. I try not to linger for much more than an hour.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I guess it'll be nice to wake up Saturday morning not wondering wtf I said to my boss the night before!! And do I still have a job!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Work parties always suck. A bunch of people who you actually hate and would like to kill, all gathered together in some function room eating crappy appetizers and drinking way too much and talking about TPS reports and how we're all gonna have a better year for the "Company" next year. Pretending they like you while you do the same about them. Then they give out awards and accolades and bonuses, but you don't get anything so you feel bad. The best part of the whole thing is getting to meet the wives of the meatballs you work with as you listen to one of them drone on about how she met her precious "D-Man", the annoying guy who works in the cube next to you, and all the while you're just looking at her cleavage. :chatter

Ya, good times...lol...
Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I am actually excited. My company is too small and poor to have a Christmas party but we are going to my husband's work party on Friday. I am so excited to go and be a sober supportive wife for him. I am excited about getting dressed up and somebody else cooking and serving me. I have lost 40 lbs since I got sober so I am excited to look good!!

I guess I am kinda a dork, huh?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

TTOSBT, You are sober, 40lbs slimmer, going to be dressed up and someone else is doing the work. ENJOY!!
Stayed excited and enjoy every moment. You have earned it.

God bless.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

while i have gone to several parties and occasions where i knew drink and drugs would be around, i still know when the big ones are comming that i simply will not be able to handle. its all a matter of how much you know you can handle.

while im strong enough to pass on the weed, pass on the bong hits and joints, and just keep to having a few beers, if someone were to cut up anything white, crystally or that looked remotely like a drug that can be snorted, i would be screwed. i know i dont have the self control to stop myself, i would make a B line right for the mirror and if i was told no, it would probably end up even worse.

if you think youve got a good enough hold to go, and not drink, and just enjoy the evening for what it is, by all means go.

but i personally know that if i were to go to a party where everyone was drunk or high, and that there was not even a person i liked enough to be around when they were in that state of mind, then i would just totally not go period. it was a very close friend of mines engagement party last weekend, and i missed it outright because i knew exactly what was going to come of me going. sometimes you just gotta miss the parties and know your doing the right thing
Old 12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm going to one next week - or I might not. It depends on how spiritually fit I am feeling. It's a new-ish job so I won't be as comfortable. I will have a couple of girlfriends with me who are very supportive of my recovery, so that's good.

I'm not much bothered being around alcohol anymore - not usually, anyway - but I'll always take precautions beforehand, just in case.

I love where I work and look forward to spending social time with my co-workers - SOME of them, anyway.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is a great idea to be one of the drivers.
XOXO