Notices

Anyone in their 1st days out there?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Talking Anyone in their 1st days out there?

Newbie Alkies and Addicts....

I've been reading a lot of your posts in the 1 to 30 day range of sobriety. Wondering how you're holding up now!??... Please post and give me/us your story or update of where you're at now (relapse or not). Good, bad or indifferent.... It certainly strengthens and helps me in my "uniqueness" when I read others just like me... and going through the same stuff I am!!! Day 12 today, one minute at a time!

Can't wait to read up!!! Pls. post!!!
:ghug2

Thanks & luv to you all,
Nicki
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hi Nicki!

I'm still fairly new here. When the moderators recently updated the SR site, they moved our daily threads to it's own section. Daily threads are areas that people check into on a daily basis. There is a newbie bus, Whiners Anonymous, etc.. There is also a Class of November 2008 which will have peeps with about the same number of days as you.

Heres the link:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

From the SR main page it is the section just below Newcomers.

Congratulations to you on Day 12! Glad you are here :ghug3
Old 12-03-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Pelican,

Thanks for your post! I will definitely check out that forum as I didn't know it exists, thanks!

P.S.: I love that quote!

Nicki
Old 12-03-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Nicki~ Welcome to SR! Congratulations on your 12 Days, it will get easier day by day! Just keep posting, there is great support here.

It's Day 3 for me after a Thanksgiving setback (early sobriety, had only been 13 days before Thanksgiving Holiday) I've been a drinker on/off since I was 16, longest I've gone without a drink once I started to drink heavily in College has been 9 months (aside from both my pregnancies, in which I NEVER touched anything besides milk! lol)

The relapse I had this past weekend made me finally realize that drinking casually is not something I will be able to do. I'm also working on not overeating. It's become obvious to me that I've always tried to push my feelings aside whether with food, alcohol, or weed and I no longer wish to do that. I want to get well, not drink, and not overeat to fill the void of not drinking. I haven't smoked weed since August so that's fortunately not an issue anymore =)

I want to resolve the feelings that have caused me to drink and overeat to begin with. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but at least I will be healthy and sober~
Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Hi Nick,
Not too new to SR but I've been very on and off since my 3 mth SR sober debut.

Day 3 and I've a puggled head (as we say in these parts). However I reckon this is a genuine moment of clarity again, not a white knuckle grind so I'm hoping to be rejoining humanity soon
Old 12-03-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Mariposa and thanks for responding!

I think the longest I ever really went was 9 months too. I was getting ready to take my 9 month chip and inside of making a "right" , I made a "left" into a club in L.A. I ordered a gin and tonic and sat there looking at it, challenging myself to not drink it, and don't remember the rest of the night! What a stupid thing to do as I look back now!

Good for you on day 3!!! That's awesome. Since we've made up our mind today to not drink, let's not unmake it, okay friend?

Hugs,
Nicki
Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hey Jigov...

Thanks for checking in!!!! It takes what it takes, huh?! Glad you're back and checking in! Congrats on Day 3!

All my best,
Nicki:ghug3
Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am Day two!
Nice not to feel sick this morning. I feel 'off' but in a different way.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, I finally have made it to 30 days. get chip tomorrow. This is definitely the longest I have been sober in over 10 years. Atleast that I can remember. I feel good physically, mentally, just need to learn to deal with life on life terms without drinking. That is harder to deal with...right now I do not have the obsession to drink even when things have been tough, and I am so greatful for that, I think connecting with my higher power and praying is helping lift the obsession, who knows, all i know is that it is gone for now.. Happy to be here posting on the forum, and happy to be sober..
Congrats on the times of soberness...it takes alot of strength and commitment.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi tryingto...

Congrats on getting to day 2

I am only day one today, the longest I have ever been able to do by myself at home.

I am feeling very nervous about whether I can do this or not, and scared of how bad the detox might be.... just a minute at a time for me for now!!!

Last edited by findingkermit; 12-03-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: bad spelling, heads is fog!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi finding kermit.
Just stick with me! Keep focused thoughts on your improved health. Whats a treat for you? For doing so well? For me I am having diet softdrink with my dinner.
After dinner I have fruit salad & berry sorbet to look forward to.
This morning when I got out of bed I made myself get ready straight away.
Just keep going ...you can do it. I need support, so do it with me.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thankyou Tryingto....

It's very kind of you to offer to journey with me right at the start of your own journey

I hadn't though of a treat for myself, thankyou for the suggestion, I have just asked hubby to pick me up a jar of my favourite jarrah capacino coffee from the store, I generally only drink one cup of instant a day, so a jarrah is a real treat for me yummmmm.

I am feeling very unsure of myself at the moment, and extremely nervous, I have detoxed twice in a detox center, but never at home. I didn't even get up this morning thinking about quitting today (although it's something I obsess over everyday) and have done for 3 years now.

I just realised that at 9am I didn't have a beer in my hand, and I just thought 'I wonder how long I can go without one' I always start drinking at 9am at the latest every day.

I have just spent the whole day (bar having a shower) on this site, reading & reading and drinking a lot of water, and eating well (which I have only started in the last 4 days), getting as much of the good stuff in incase I start feeling sick.

How has your day been?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My day is ok. I keep thinking distracting thoughts. I am a binge drinker, though I would normally drink say 4-5 nights a week, and on 2-3 on them get totally wasted.
I think a treat is good, helps keep focused & gets rid of those feelings of deprivation.

Yesterday I felt unsure of myself and I was knocking myself going "oh your going to try again are you? Well we know you are going to fail".............. but today I am saying I did it yesterday so I can do it today.

Do you find softdrink helps? Or not? For me (because I am an evening drinker) it helps me during the evenings. Mostly I try and think about the next day, not feeling sick etc. Only yesterday morning I was hungover, so I hope I can keep going. I don't want to give in.

I know your prolly not going to feel like doing this but try walking down your street and back if you don't feel like utter crap. My partner drags me out sometimes for a walk and the fresh air can be nice.

I hope your having a good day kermit and that you will keep going with me & not give up : )
Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
new and scared. :(

Originally Posted by Tryingto View Post
but today I am saying I did it yesterday so I can do it today.
AMEN to that Sista!!!!

Kermit, I am so happy you are doing this! I'm sorry you are having a rough time but hopefully each day will get easier and easier for you.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How have you been going sicilia? :ghug2
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great to hear you are having a more confident day today tryingto. Ihope I make it until tomorrow, and can say that, it felt good when I went to detox and got through the first day, I felt the same way "if I could do it yesterday, I can do it today too"

I'm not sure about the fizzy drink, I'm not really into anything sweet, but I do like to drink watered down apple juice, and I have been having glasses of that and water on hand all day, I think it help because I have a glass of booze in my hand every day, from early morning until I pass out/crash out at midnight, so it's like a habbit to be holding a drink most of the day.

I like the idea of a walk, but I like my vegie garden better lol, so I might make a big effort and spend some time out there tomorrow, I have more vegies I have to get in.

I don't know if I can do this, but I know I will never stop trying, to do so would be the end

Sicilia, thankyou for the encouragement, that is all I'm going on at the moment, is the thought 'it will get better' I hope I make it, I'm so tired of my life revolving around drinking & trying to stop drinking, I just want to be over it like I've been over drugs for 14 years now, I can't wait for the day that I sit down at the end of the day and think 'wow, I didn't even think about drinking or not drinking today"

Time to get some dinner on the table for the kiddies, it is 5.45pm here.... I will be back in 10
Old 12-03-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tryingto View Post
How have you been going sicilia? :ghug2
I am ok..just trying to keep busy...worked all day and then came home, evenings are hardest for me also...took a ride to the AA parking lot and came home been on the computer ever since!! I can't get off this site, haha...i literally slept with my laptop the past two night, no joke.

but that is OK with me, if it helps me not drink then i'll stay on here 24/7!

and it was funny, i woke up today not hung over for the first time in YEARS and actually did my hair and put on makeup, and everyone in the office was like WOW, got a job interview today or something??

I'm a little nervous for the upcoming weekend, I have a friends bday party at a bar downtown, and her feelings would be hurt if i didn't go. I don't want to go and tempt myself, but I kinda have to show up at least for a little bit....
Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by findingkermit View Post

I'm so tired of my life revolving around drinking & trying to stop drinking
OMG yes, I feel exactly the same way. I got so sick and tired of drinking, then beating myself up about drinking....that I just said FCUK IT. Pick a side and go with it. So i decided to stop, thank god.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sicilia, good luck for the party, just keep thinking of everyone on this site, keep it in your head, and ONE drink will hurt : )
Drink Red bull!

It's funny I woke up & did my hair/make up straight away this morning. Only cos I knew I would be less likely to mope.
I am wearing this hot pink long top.........over leggings. It's hard to be glum in hot pink
: )

Kermit - be confident in yourself. Just worry about today
Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm back lol

I can relate totally to the part thing, we have a bbq with our closest friends and one other couple of friends on Saturday night, it is to celebrate his birthday which is today & mine which is on Sunday.

We've always hit the drink together, and can sink a ton of it (my hubby dosen't drink though, nor does miss 19) I am still going to go and hopefully, I won't surcome, we have to leave early anyway because miss 17 mths will have to be into bed at a reasonable time.

I'm lucky though, they know I'm an alcoholic, I think our friend is too, but I've never asked, he will tell me when and if he's ready, but I know they will have me on for not having a drink, but would never push, and will be supportive even though they'll still have a laugh, more with me than at me though.

Oh, and I've been on here 24/7 too, it's all that is keeping me going today, and I think after reading all that I did yeasterday it was the catalast for the decision I made to try again this morning, it's a great site, with wonderfull people!!!!

... just for this hour.........

Last edited by findingkermit; 12-03-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling