Notices

Just introducing myself & saying Hi

Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just introducing myself & saying Hi

I have spent some time looking around this site before signing up, it looks great, but I have been scared to join in on any support website/forum for my drinking before.

I'm not sure what to say really, I feel a nervous wreck lol.

I have travelled a hard road with my drinking for 4 years now (it seems a life time), and I'm not sure where to from here. What I do know is that the day I stop looking for a way out of this hellish place, is the day I may as well go and sit on the train track, because I am drinking myself to death.

I don't want to be in this place anymore, hence my user name 'finding kermit', I used to be kermit, fun, sober, reliable, sociable, friendly, busy, cleaver and very very happy.

Can you guys help me find kermit again?????
Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! Lots of people here who understand what you are going through. You don't have to go through this alone. Together--we can help find Kermit. We do recover.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

hi findingkermit ....and welcome to the family of SR . I too am still to this day a big Kermit fan . I have one sitting in my livingroom . but anyways stick around read and post , theres many great people here im sure they will be here soon to say hi and greet you with a smile and a hug .. Endzy:ghug3
Old 12-02-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

The first step is to just not drink, today.
The next is to get to reading and posting with us!!!
Welcome!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thankyou for the welcome guys

it's really appreciated . I have cut down a lot, and changed what I was drinking. Unfortunately I can't go cold turkey as I was drinking too much (and even though it's less and lower alcohol) I still have a few more days to cut back to lower the risk of severe withdrawl.

Last time I was detoxing I was a mess due to how much I was drinking and had to have drugs to stop seizures. I don't want to do it that way again as this time I have to do it at home, I am all out of options for detox in centers now, I blew it twice, and if I go back again, they won't let me home for 3-4 months, and I can't leave my babies for that long, they live far from the centers and we can't afford for them to travel to see me.

I have to do it this time, or I know I will have no choice but to leave my husband and children behind for a long time. I also don't want to take the drugs (valium) because I was a druggie for 12 years and I am 12 years clean from that scene and I like the drugs too much lol, that makes me scared of them.

So for the next week I am continuing to reduce my intake, and I am working very very hard at eating well (I didn't use to eat anything), I am drinking lots of water and taking 100mgs vit B1 and 1000mgs of omega3 a day as well. I feel that I am on track, even though it is really tough.

Thankyou for the support, I really need it!!!

Last edited by findingkermit; 12-02-2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: put the wrong amounts on my vitamin doses.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Lots of kiwis on SR Kermit, I hope you feel at home here! Welcome, always good to have a new member join us!
Old 12-02-2008, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankyou Astro

I am feeling a little less nervous now

I don't have any support here, a small hick town in the whops that only has one AA meeting place, and people hang around the corner to be nosey and see who is comming and going, I won't go, I got as far as the corner and saw them peering and talking behind their hands.

I have children at the school here and I won't subject them to the teasing they'd get, what horrid people!!!

I was/am so desperate for some support, I've felt so lonely in this for so long now, and I know I can't do it alone, I've tried and tried.

So thankyou all for the site and the support.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR kermit!!!

Detox the way that is best for you. As long as you are doing something to solve the problem....do it. Eat right, take your vitamins and try to relax any way you can...hot baths are AWESOME for me for relaxing muscles and just some time for you. Again, welcome to SR you will find many people going through the same and eager to support you as they have done for me. Post as much as you can and talk it out like the rest of us. It really helps! Hope to see more of ya!!

Jack
Old 12-02-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by findingkermit View Post
I don't have any support here, a small hick town in the whops that only has one AA meeting place, and people hang around the corner to be nosey and see who is comming and going, I won't go, I got as far as the corner and saw them peering and talking behind their hands.

I have children at the school here and I won't subject them to the teasing they'd get, what horrid people!!!

I was/am so desperate for some support, I've felt so lonely in this for so long now, and I know I can't do it alone, I've tried and tried.
Hmmm, maybe someday you'll reconsider and give those meetings a fair shot?

I take my children to two meetings every week. They're proud of me and I'm proud of them. And sometimes they even let their schoolmates and teachers know that their father goes to AA meetings. I'm OK with being an alcoholic in recovery, nothing to hide at all.

Just find something that works for you, and stay focused on it one day at a time. It doesn't have to be AA, there are plenty of people on SR who've found other solutions. Keep reading and posting, there's much to be learned here and to share.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome kermit..glad you are here! you are doing what you need to do for YOU!! be proud of yourself!!! there are alot of wonderful people on this site and in the rooms of aa with good sobriety and alot of insight into the world of alcoholism! ask questions, read alot and vent if you have to!! hope to hear more from you!!!
Big Hugz!!
Lisa
Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

jack & lisa t

thankyou so much for the awesome welcome, and the lovely words of support, I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes at the moment, I feel like I have found a real life line, thankyou, all of you, for being there!!!!

Astro, I would like to go, I have enjoyed the meetings I have attended at detox & rehab in the past, but obviously they were in another town/city. There are other circumstances that come into it as far as privacy goes for us as well and I can't afford to travel to the next nearest meetings.

I was wondering if there is any way I can get a phone sponser for now, until I get brave and feel confident enough to deal with the ramifications for my family, and my husbands work as far as being 'out' as an alcoholic in a small town?

For now, I am happy to come here, you guys have made me feel so welcome, and helped me already in my determination and belief that I can beat this demon
Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family Kermit!

I am a fan of Kermie, too. Little green fella had lots of wisdom!

It sounds like a good choice to cut back on your alcohol consumption at this point. I quit the vodka about 1 1/2 years before I quit everything. I really don't recommend waiting that long

I lurked here before I signed up. One of the best sources of help to me was the second sticky post under the Alcoholism Section here on SR. Reading the excerpts from the book "Under the Influence" helped me to understand why I could not control my drinking. It controlled me.

I also had someone I know admitted to the hospital with cirrhosis of the liver and other alcohol related issues. That person and I are the same age and gender. I got too much life left in me to let alcohol take me down!

We're glad you are here. Read and post as much as you need.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hollyce Jones

Sorry you feel lost. :( You shouldn't feel that way here. :)

I totally want to help you find Kermit!
Share your feelings here. The people are friendly and honest. I've not been sober for this many days (only 10, but WOW) since I was 17, and I'm certain SR has been a huge part of my ability to stay sober.

Welcome.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

you guys are awesome....

thankyou so much for your lovely posts!!!!

It really brings tears to my eyes, I don't know why, I guess because you've all been so kind to me and I've only been here one day.

I feel so different today after signing up here, and it's really quite emotional, I'm happy, I'm gratefull, and I'm very sad & scared too. I feel more challenged now in some way to beat this thing, more answerable I guess.

I have posted in the daily support for newcommers if you'd like to look, I wasn't sure whether to post my request for ideas/support etc for the next few days should be in here or in there lol

Again, thankyou all so very much
Old 12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pelican...

thankyou for pointing me in the direction of that particular thread, Hubby & I have been reading it together and wow, It has some great information in there, really interesting.

We will continue to read it, and he and miss 19 are going to read the forum on being in a relationship with an alcoholic as well which looks like a really good one for them at this point, I would really like them to read the thread on enabling.

Last edited by findingkermit; 12-02-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Under the Influence

Yeah, great info there.

I bought the book and read it cover to cover. The book also has diet and meal plans for hypo glycemia which is what happens to most alcoholics coming off of booze. Our blood sugar is whacked and we need to eat whole foods and keep our sugar levels even.

There is a newer book by the same authors now called "Beyond the Influence" and some of the friends here have read it. They compare it to being more detailed and informative than "Under". I haven't got my hands on a copy of that yet, but hope to soon.

P.S. Glad hubby is supporting you!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

pelican...

I have googled the books and they are available here in N.Z in a couple of our bigger book stores, so when we head to town next week we are going to look for them and get them if they are in stock & order them if not.

I don't think it will be a problem with the eating of whole foods, it is basicly what we (well what I feed the family) anyway lol.

I still enjoy my vegie garden, and the chooks, and love cooking meals from scratch, we don't often have 'junk' in the house, even our jam & out of season fruits & veg are homemade, bottled & frozen from fresh, breakfasts are the likes of natural muslie & fresh fruit & natural yoghurt, lunches full grain breads, salad stuff etc.. dinners, brown rice, heaps of steamed or raw veg, lentils, beans, and a little protien.

Funny how I spend so much time & effort making sure they are all healthy and I'm such an unhealthy mess