Notices

How do I stop "the itch"?

Old 11-30-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I stop "the itch"?

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and have a question for you. As of Dec 26 I will have been clean for 1 year. For the last few months I've been getting "the itch." As in all I can think about all day for days at a time is getting high. How do I manage that? I've done so good this year and I can't screw it up now. Any advice at all would be appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just another day...

I cant offer advice, Im back to day 4 of sobriety. But I can offer encouragement! Almost 1 year! wow! that is something to be very proud of. What would u get from it now? You have gone so long without! Stay strong and keep coming back and checking on your post and reading others. Lots of encouragement from here.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Epiphany, no answers here. I'll have a year on January 13 and after ten craving-free months, alcohol is all of a sudden on my mind again. All I know is I need to keep talking, keep connecting with other sober people.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Do you have any sort of recovery network? How about meetings?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-30-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tellus is right - keep talking, stay connected - if you do a programme go to meetings, if not
- stick close by here. Posting works for me.

Itches don't just happen in my opinion - they're caused by *something*. Look at what's going on in your life - are you stressed, scared, bored, etc...?

Whatever the problem is, there's a better way to deal than going back to your drug of choice

D
Old 11-30-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

3 words....

Don't do it!

I know it is hard, I just slipped after 7 months. Trust me, you do not want to slip back. Take a look at what you were doing in the beginning and what you are doing now to change your life. You might be surprised to see yourself slipping back into some old habits.

Good luck and we are here for you.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Epiphany...I just love that word!

Epiphany (feeling), the sudden realization or comprehension of the essence or meaning of something.

Is the "itch" perhaps confirming your addiction? Whatever you do, don't give in and "scratch" it. I actually have very dry skin, and I often get itchy...the more I scratch, the more I itch...the more I itch, the more I scratch...and so on.

If I were to give in to a desire to drink, I absolutely know the more I drank, the more I would want...it could never, ever stop at just one!

There was no mention of attending AA/NA meetings during the past year. That might be something you could do to reinforce your recovery.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm having that same itch but it's only been 11 days. I've been replacing my alcohol with delicious coffee, but eeegadzzzz I'm hyper! Just keep writing the pros and cons of drinking. That's what helps me. I also try to read or do something creative since my thought process is much clearer without alcohol. I hope you're ok.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Epiphany....

Wow! Almost a year! Unimaginable in my world for me .....!

Cravings are apart of this journey for most of us (I've had some "time" in the past) and had severe cravings at moments, even days. What kind of support system do you have? Have you thought about checking out AA or NA a couple times and just see what it's all about? A lot of people who do not regularly attend find themselves going this time of year as it can be bruttle -- and temptations are everywhere.... 'tis the season. This will pass at some point -- the thing is to not give into it. You've done so well and have made it this far! You're awesome!

Best... & keep posting!!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Fayez View Post
I've been replacing my alcohol with delicious coffee, but eeegadzzzz I'm hyper!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow. A LOT of great advice here. Do you think you're having a harder time BECAUSE you know you're coming up upon a year? Do you think the "itch" has anything to do with the time of year (holidays)?

One thing that helps me manage to stay sober especially after stringing together more than two weeks or so is to really ask myself "do I REALLY want to ruin my sober streak?" I once held a very tempting glass to my lips -- could smell and almost taste that martini -- but I made myself stop and think before I took the next step.

I felt so empowered by putting it down and telling my husband I didn't want it after all.

Again -- this tactic works so much better for me the longer I'm successful. Can't even IMAGINE a year but shares like yours are helping me along the way.

Thank you (((Epiphany00)))! :-)
Old 11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Awesome on your clean time. Congrats!

Holidays do often trigger people who come from families who have addiction problems. It is a very tough time of year for me and many people I know.

I know no matter how tough times are I can only make them worse by getting high. Send a Reminder to yourself that the itch program has been deleted.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, epiphany. Welcome to SR.

Nearly a year is fantastic...the longest I ever made it was just short of 70 days.

Talking to people and not isolating is important...

...I'm wondering, are you bored? Finding something positive to immerse yourself into might help.

I wish you well.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful advice. I'm doing the best I can to deal with all of this, I don't go to NA, never did. Sometimes I think the only reason I've made it so long is because my fiance moved me 5 hours away from home and I dont have any connections! lol I used methadone to keep from being sick but it only took 3 months to get off of that and I finally stopped feeling sick from the methadone this spring. I haven't used a needle in almost a year, but I dont have a needle "itch." I've been craving methadone. I just wanna get high and it's driving me crazy!! I keep thinking about how much I want to go to college and make something of myself and how drugs will screw that up but it's just not enough. If I go to NA now, my fiance will know that I'm having problems with staying clean and last time I told him he got mad. I know if I told him i really need to go he'd let me but it's a pride thing. I've kept myself busy working, playing guitar and writing, painting, cleaning, and cooking.. I've gained 30 lbs since last year. I have severe anxiety disorder and PTSD caused by sexual abuse as a child so I think there's more going on here than just wanting to get high. I've done sooo good this year and still the temptation to call my sister and get a pill is so strong. It's taking everything I have to say no. I'm sorry for rambling on, but I don't get to talk about this stuff so when I start I don't stop.