Notices

Baby steps

Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baby steps

Hi everyone

This is nearly the end of day 3 for me and still sober, feeling great for it.

Well apart from the slight shakes and brain fog, but doing ok.

I took the jump this morning and telephoned the local AA office and asked for info on meetings in my area, very helpful and they got an AA member to ring me back.
He runs an AA meeting near me & has been sober for 31 years he is now 65 and says he has never looked back. We chatted for nearly an hour and after I felt so relived and happy, felt a huge weight had been lifted, forgot what that had felt like.
Have now got my first meetings on Friday and Tuesday coming up, I think its going to be very hard to walk through the door though, is that normal?
Im only 27 and think I should'nt have to be doing this but Im an alcoholic and want to do this for me.

I really hope I feel confortable, and make some good friends as do I here with everyone here, your posts have been keeping me going thankyou all x
Old 11-26-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

You will find that there's more similiarities with others than NOT! It's terrifying walking through the door! But once your through you just might be amazed!

Good luck & keep us posted!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Fletch2468 View Post
I think its going to be very hard to walk through the door though, is that normal?Im only 27 and think I should'nt have to be doing this but Im an alcoholic and want to do this for me.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone share that it was easy to walk into an AA meeting for the first time. I know that I was scared, and didn't think I'd every find myself in the rooms of recovery.

But what I know now is that since that first day in AA, I've never felt alone, and I learned very quickly that there was hope for a much better future.

I'm really glad to hear that you're going to give AA a try, and hope that you have a positive experience. Don't be discouraged if your first meeting doesn't go well, just keep going back and trying. Eventually, the miracle will happen.

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Your doing great fletch, reaching out here and calling AA. I was nervous my first time but it was a little bit easier for me because I called and talked to someone first like you have and a couple of guys came a took me to my first meeting. They introduced me to people and made me fit right in. If you talk to him again before the next meeting tell him your nervous and ask him if anyone can give you a ride. It will make your first meeting and your early recovery that much smoother.

Thanks for sharing with us. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome fletch! i was a little intimidated my first aa meeting but i did the same as you, i reached out to a neighbor i knew was in the program. i told her i was scared to go by myself so she picked me up and took me to that 1st meeting and several more thereafter, she is now my sponsor. you will be amazed at how welcoming the folks in the rooms are...our experiences as alcoholic give us a special bond that i have never seen in my life, not with anyone. it's a place where i can go in and tell the worst things about myself when i was drinking and not one person bats an eyelash...incredible!!
i wish you much love and peace...please keep us posted!
Lisa