Notices

New and looking for help to understand.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question New and looking for help to understand.

Hi, I'm new to this board!! Hello to everyone.

I was hoping someone could help me understand my boyfriends addiction. We have been together for 5 years and have a 2 year old daughter.

3 years ago he broke his back and started taking vicodin for the pain,he had a rx. That eventually got out of control and he started taking his rx plus what ever he could get his hands on. Things stated tapering off (or so I thought) and then the migraines started. Because of his dependence to Vicodin he somehow convinced a pain mgmt dr to prescribe him Oxycodone. He has been on that now for that past year.

A month ago he had surgery for carpal tunnel and is now on even more rx's and is home all the time so I am noticing things more. Last week I noticed rolled up dollar bills and some other VERY strange stuff and confronted him and made him take a drug test thinking it was coke. Well he only came up positive for opiods. He told me he was rx'd 80mg of oxycodone and he crushes it up to make 1 pill 4 so he's taking less. Everything I've looked up online says that's not a good sign.

He promised me he would stop everything and try to find another way to manage his pain. Then yesterday he lied to me and went to pick up some more pills from his dealer and came home with oxycodone and suboxone (which he DOESNT have a rx for). He told me he wanted to get on suboxone for the withdrawal symptoms but after researching that I've also seen that can be abused.

Im at such a total loss at where to go from here. Should I believe he is using this to get clean or should I step in and demand something more be done? I have my daughter to worry about first and I can't have her grow up like me, with out a dad because he's an addict. If someone has been there done that I would love to hear stories and if his story sounds on the up and up. Thanks for letting me get this out, I really don't know where to turn.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi Princess, and welcome to SR.

First let me say that my personal experience is with alcohol, so I'm not sure how much help I can be to your exact situation, but I know there are plenty of others here who will have words of support, understanding, and encouragement for you. Heck, I can support and encourage you, too! LOL

I strongly suggest that you check out our Friends and Family Forum. They will definitely be able to relate to you there as well.

My first reaction to your story is to say that you can't fix him. Making demands more than likely will not get the results you desire. Only HE can fix himself, when he is ready. You CAN, however, take care of yourself and your daughter - and you SHOULD. Seeking knowledge and support is a great first step, IMO.

Best of luck to you and your family.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome.....

If he is snorting his pills he has a major problem. They start snorting the pill because they are no longer getting the same high taking them orally. This is the beginning of a terrible rollar coaster ride for you and your family. My ex had almost the same situation you described. He was hurt at work. Started on pain pills. Refused to take the oxy's because he knew what they would do to him. Few short months later he is snorting them and dealing them.

The thing that you really need to be concerened about, this isnt always the case, but it may well boil down to him moving on to something else to get a better high. That too happened in my case. My ex is now out of my home. We have kids and the minute family money started to come up missing I knew that was just the beginning. He is in rehab now taking suboxone.

Read the posts here by bvaljo (I think that is it otherwise bv) and you will learn all about subs. Your addict doesnt realize that he needs to be experiencing withdrawals before the subs will help him. When on the subs it blocks the high effects of the other opiates so he can take em but they wont do much for him.

Stop by the friends and family substance abuse. You will learn alot there and have many more to share in this with you.

Good luck. Keep reading Keep posting.....