Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are there a TON of alcohol commercials on TV!!???

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok, I work from home, and have some time to watch TV. I have been watching for an hour and have seen 7 commercials for various types of alcohol. What's up with that? Is it some sort of "plot" to make it even harder? LOL! Maybe I have just become accutley aware of this now or something. Just trying to keep my mind and hands busy for the next while, keep my mind off of it.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Breathing

By any chance do you have football on? Always seems to be loaded with them. The Fine Living channel is also saturated.

Don't get me started about food magazines, and Yes I subscribe to Food and Wine, LOL... I just tune it out or turn the page.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Man don't you know it! I LOVE food too! They make it look so freakin' awesome on TV too, I'm sitting here right now eating chocolate covered pretzels! Sheesh! It's either that or drink a beer! LOL!! Rather be a little "round" than do that tho. I'm glad I'm not the only one that agrees on this too. THANKS
Old 11-23-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

It is amazing how TV is infiltrated with booze. I remember it well early on. It was torture, but it gets better.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Think it's the time of year; Christmas and Parties. It is in the UK as all the Supermarkets are advertising as well as the brand names.As LosingmyMisery says, as time goes by, it'll bother you less.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

At my noon AA meeting...a member shared that
when she saw the bottles ..she pictured
a skull and crossbones on them.

Sobriety Rocks!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
IO Storm

My weakness?

Uhhh...Corona with lime wedge on the beach. Help!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Alcohol related or otherwise, American TV commercials are like a relentless injection of poison to the brain, and I long ago stopped watching them. At the very least, I mute all commercials whenever possible, fast forward through them when possible, and otherwise avoid them at all costs. So I know the answer is simple but it's true: Don't watch them & don't listen to them, they'll just rot your brain anyway.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad that there arent too many vodka commercials, although even beer commercials will get me thinking.

If they can outlaw cigarette advertisements why not so alcohol ones?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
At my noon AA meeting...a member shared that
when she saw the bottles ..she pictured
a skull and crossbones on them.

Sobriety Rocks!
Ha Ha! I just got back from my therapy appointment and we were looking at whether or not to have wine at Thanksgiving at my house. I feel very clear about not wanting to drink but I have an impulsive side that I feel I am not in complete control of. But I know my guests would appreciate being able to have wine. So.... I am going to draw big black X's on my hands! That way if I see myself reaching for the bottle in a sneak attack, I have a visual reminder to stop stop stop!

I know it's kinda silly but hey whatever works, right?

And yes - I hate all the ads too. I switch channels.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whatever works MLE - LOL! That's great! I can't be around wine right now. I'm six months into it, but I have been very weak lately. I keep having the crazy thoughts about returning to a controlled type of situation with alcohol and I know I can't do that, but these thoughts keep plaguing me. It kind of sucks.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Steam. You don't know how much I appreciate you coming back and posting about everything. Its really saved me more then once lately. (((Steam)))
Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Whatever works MLE - LOL! That's great! I can't be around wine right now. I'm six months into it, but I have been very weak lately. I keep having the crazy thoughts about returning to a controlled type of situation with alcohol and I know I can't do that, but these thoughts keep plaguing me. It kind of sucks.

I hear you so loud and clear Horselover, you seem so nice and sincere! I would miss you if you left! I like reading you responses. By the way, my huge weakness is gotta be Bailey's and egg nog right now! Those commercials KILL me!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Commericials, songs, new cars, stories etc....they just seem to appeal to our self conscience no matter what the issue. When you break up with someone every song seems to be sung to you. When you get a new car everyone else has the same one and when you want to quit drinking every commercial you would have never bothered with before calls out its siren song to you!
I guess that is why adversiments cost so much money, they work! This will pass and you will be OK!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Commericials, songs, new cars, stories etc....they just seem to appeal to our self conscience no matter what the issue. When you break up with someone every song seems to be sung to you. When you get a new car everyone else has the same one and when you want to quit drinking every commercial you would have never bothered with before calls out its siren song to you!
I guess that is why adversiments cost so much money, they work! This will pass and you will be OK!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I don't know if it's the channels I watch (History, mostly...sometimes Discovery) or what, but I sure do see a lot of commercials for "male enhancement". Every time one comes on, I want to throw my remote through the screen.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OMG!!!! I know! What is the deal with those? Is this really that big of an issue out there??? "It’s not the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean"! LOL LOL
Old 11-24-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Bamboozle....Well now I have to respond. Up until this point I see the original post was well covered. After your mention of those extremely @#$%ing annoying male enhancement commercials I have to chime in. That is by far the worst thing on TV. Sorry ladies but I would love nothing more than to smash that stupid commercial host/s in the face with a snow shovel. Improve the human gene pool a bit if you ask me. My wife and I both cringe every time it comes on and HAVE TO change the channel so I don't have a freaking aneurism. Uhggg....even just the thought of it bothers me. How pathetic is the average US male consumer to support this nonsense? They must be selling something because they sure have enough money to flood the airways with those damn commercials. Ok...enough of that...I need to take a Tylenol now.