Notices

Hello

Old 11-22-2008, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I'm Joel. Ive been drinking daily for the last 7-8 years, except for two excusions (total 14 months) to afghanistan. I finished my third bottle of wine of the day about two hours ago. I'm tired of it... I'm back in school now. I'm doing great so far, but I'm not going to go much further in this state.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Offley,

Welcome to sober recovery! Nice to meet you! You'll find lots of support and good information here. Stick around, we're glad to have you here!

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-23-2008, 12:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Hey Offley.
Welcome and good luck. You say you are tired of it, thats a good a place as any to start, perfect perhaps! Well done :-)
Old 11-23-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Lenina, Stimmed. I'm turning 32 on monday. I've spent the last 9 years in the army, but now I'm out now and back in school. I can't shake this, and actually I never thought I could. I drink every night, at least a bottle of wine. I've learned the hard way not to keep hard liquor around. I've wasted so many days, at least two a week where I can't do a thing because I'm recovering. It's getting worse, I used to be able to handle it better, now I'm living in a haze. I am tired of it, in my sober moments I dream of staying sober, but I always find myself buying another bottle. I plan on sticking around as long as I can.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sobriety would be an awesome birthday gift to yourself. Check out the stickies at the top of the forums and read the posts others like us have made. Know something? I always regretted getting drunk but I've never regretted getting and staying sober.

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-23-2008, 01:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there and Welcome to SR! Do you have any support like AA? Please keep posting to let us know how you're doin!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Iv been sober for about three months, but trying to quit for 4yrs, a year being my longest dry spell. I fell off tho due to not being able to handle my confidence issue.
I figure tho, i cant solve that issue if im drunk, or dead. As a child i was naturaly full of confidence, i turned to drink at 15, and it dissapeared somewhere. When i first tried drink, i felt all the lights came on and so i was hooked, drink inspired me and i actually loved it. I still do, but i know if i let it, it will kill me. That as sad as it sounds, to me,is gutting. But, together with my confidence issue, it is a very, very small price to pay for having a life that i can still do so many things with.
Around four years ago when i first tried to quit, it was for the reason you said, tired of it. Tired of how it controlled me, tired of people, family and friends of watching me destroy my health and life with what i poured down my neck every day. Tired of not communicating with anyone at all with a sober mind. Sick and tired.
However this time its a bit different. A family member is ill and could potentialy die of a desease. There is no way on this earth i can justify now, killing myself by choice, it would be the greatest insult i could deliver yet.
You say you cant shake this. You dont know that Offley. While you still have the ability to make dicisions, you retain the ability to beat the drink. Ample reasons are there, we just dont, or wont see them for being addicted to alcohol.
The saying 'the devils brew' in my opinion is among the most truest words spoken. Like any drug abused it has the ability to turn something happy into something sad.
You know you must decide, and i know im only on the wagon 3months. Its kind of scarey but, not being able to drink again isnt such a bad thing in life. If you didnt have a life, you wouldnt be able to drink. I think there comes a time when one has to start giving respect to something that sits so quite but yet, its what everything revolves around. Credit youre life, and credited youre life will be. Of that, im certain.
Welcome aboard friend :-)
Old 11-23-2008, 01:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thank you for serving in our Army...
"All gave some..some gave all"

For me to quit...I had to want to more than I wanted to drink.

You might consider AA...it's been an awesome adventure for me.
Welcome to our recovery community!
Old 11-23-2008, 02:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for serving our Country. Welcome
Old 11-23-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR..A whole lotta support here. For me, I had to really want it, and had to take action , that is when i went to rehab,,but most importantly found AA. That is when the recovery started. This forum is a booster to my AA program.
for serving our country!!