Notices

a little bit about me...

Old 11-21-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow a little bit about me...

alright, so when i posted my first thread yesterday, i really didn't say much about myself. so, here goes...

i have been struggling with an addiction to opiates, i.e. lortabs or other opiate based pain killers, for about a year. i first started taking them to help with my scoliosis, because i work as a cocktail waitress, which entails walking eight to ten miles a day with a ten to twenty pound tray. i began seeing a chiropractor, which helped with the back pain, but i continued to take the lortabs because they ensured i would be pain free at work, and they also gave me energy and made me feel great. but after a few months of taking them every day, i stopped having that happy feeling, and was just plain cranky and irritable. then i started crushing them up and snorting them. gross, i know. stupid, i know.

one day, i didn't have any lortabs, but i didn't think much of it. i felt like i was coming down with a cold, and ended up having to leave work for the night. i got more lortabs, and felt fine. then i ran out again and was sick for two days...sweating, yawning, chills, runny nose and watery eyes. then i realized what was happening: i was going through withdrawals. every time i ran out of pills, i would have to call in sick to work. i tried quitting cold turkey, but just couldn't handle being sick. so i kept taking them, thinking "this time, instead of taking one, i'll only take half. i'll taper myself off". it never happened. eventually, it went from taking one during an eight hour shift, to taking 3 to 4 10mg lortabs in a shift. i was taking 5-8 a day.

then, my electricity got cut off. i had no money to pay my bills. i was working every day to cover the cost of my addiction, and i felt completely worthless. i didn't want to go to rehab because i didn't want my boyfriend to know how serious the problem had become. but i was running out of options.

finally, he and i got into a huge fight, and he threw my addiction in my face. it was like the elephant in the room that no one talks about. i felt like going home and overdosing, because he made me feel like a complete junkie loser. i started researching treatment options.

so, here i am today, on day two of my suboxone program, and i couldn't be happier. i feel like i've opened the door to a whole new life.

thanks for reading, and thanks for the support!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess I dont know what opiate addiction really feels like, so cannot share any thing on that. The only thing I can share is today is the first day I am here, and it seems you started pretty recently. So something to share.

Good luck on your recovery.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome shelly...theres alot of us newbies to help each other through. The oldies are just as great of help also. Glad to have you on board
Old 11-21-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome To SR Shelly, Your among friends. I do not have narcotic addiction, I am an alchy...but addiction is addiction. If you are coming off drugs, need to be careful, can be dangerous. We are all here for you, so keep posting...also, ever think of NA?? Might look into that.. ...glad your here
Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to the family shelly...

and as mentioned, some recovery program that will work for you...

good wishes...

rz
Old 11-22-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I was detoxed from a Valium/Xanax addiction with a sub..it took 4 months.

Not the same, but similar. Serious stuff. Never picked that up again..

Welcome to SR!!!!

Good luck on your sub program...

Hugs