Notices

Security vs Insecurity - preparing for the festive season

Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Unhappy Security vs Insecurity - preparing for the festive season

As the festive period approaches, we get bombarded with drinking advertisements more than usual. I'm sitting here looking at advertisements for all my favourite drinks, almost as I type.

They also come through the door - I got some advertising in today which has inspired this thread.

Jack Daniels, Morgans spiced rum, different varieties of whisky. Beers and wines. Yummy.

A thought crept into my head, how nice it would be to have a big bottle of Jack Daniels sitting in my cupboard over the festive period, so I could - and this is an almost romantic notion - sit, and quite sanely enjoy a measure or two in the evenings, listening to Christmas Carols or whatever.

I wish I could, so much. The security of having that bottle in there, knowing I could visit it at any time to enjoy its contents, maybe one or three glasses an evening.

But that's not me though.

Three glasses will become 4, 5, 10.

11 o'clock then midnight will pass and the contents of the bottle will gradually disappear. 5 o'clock will arrive and that feeling of security will be exposed as a totally false notion, one that makes a complete fool out of me as I suddenly become terrified that the drink has run out.

Maybe I'll sleep, but that would only be a temporary reprieve, as I'd have to visit the shops as soon as I woke up to get more. Or maybe I'd stay awake and wait for the shops to open so I could go and get some sooner.

So, there will be no bottle in my cupboard over Christmas. I have far too much to lose.

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks RK...This will be my first christmas at my folks house. Last year was our year to just have a quiet christmas with my son.

I always had a ltr bottle of rum stuck in my suitcase to drink at night and thruoghout the day. And an excuse to run to the store each day and get a new bottle.

I really do dread spending time with my sister-in-laws and my really icky nieces and nephews if they show up.

But I will do this without the bottle...cause it's not always all about me anymore.

It's not the drinking like a normal person that gets me going...it's the desire to get away from unpleasant feeling I have around these people.

But you know....I can be uncomforable for 1 day a year in order to meet someone elses needs....I think that is what other people do all the time
Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great thread. Beers before thanksgiving dinner, wine with dinner, eggnog, cocktails.. luckily I'm spending this holiday season with my familiy. All mormons.. I'll be lucky if I get sparkling cider and kool aid. Ok with me at this point!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
It's not the drinking like a normal person that gets me going...it's the desire to get away from unpleasant feeling I have around these people.
Wow, that's me right there. And it's not everyone in my family, but a few people who seem to thrive on ruining the holidays every year.

But like RK, I will not have it in my house. My Family doesn't know I"m an alcoholic, so I know they will have it and I will have to choose my sobriety over that tempting glass, specially if I'm feeling annoyed or frustrated by the people around me.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is a ridiculous amount of advertising for alcohol at this time of the year. And, it`s often a stressful time for people due to expectations and family issues. So, stick close to SR and we`ll all get through this.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

The reason there are so many ads for alcoholic beverages this time of year is because so many people give them as gifts and/or entertain with them. There aren't any more now than there ever were when we were drinking...it's just that we're more aware of them since we quit drinking. They really aren't targeting the alcoholics...it just seems that way.

Once, after I had quit drinking, I got a recipe from a co-worker for an absolutely scrumptious apple pie. It required about 1/4 cup apricot brandy in the filling. So, I bought the brandy, made the pie, which turned out great. I put what was left of the brandy in the bottom of my food cupboard.

A couple of weeks later, I was looking for something in the cupboard and spotted the leftover brandy. I didn't plan on making the pie again, so the thought hit me, "Why am I hanging on to that? Just in case?" I immediately poured the bottle out in the sink! Cunning, baffling, powerful!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I joined SR on Christmas Eve, or thereabouts, 5 years ago. I had recently relapsed after 2 years of sobriety and came here seeking help.

2 years later, I again logged in on Christmas Eve. I was at my parents home and had just finished a rum and eggnog. I had been 2 years sober again before picking up this drink. Being with family can be a huge trigger for me, but it's become much less so as I have grown in recovery. It's less about me, and more about others.

I actually sit around and talk with my sisters, sister in law, parents, nieces and nephews. I enjoy the conversation and connecting with everyone. Last year, we all piled in three cars and drove to a neighbourhood to see an elaborate Christmas display.

I remember all too well how difficult it was to say no to a drink, and I still get a twinge from time to time. It's helped me to have a plan in place ahead of time in the event this happens. I take lots of phone numbers with me, and make sure I know who will be available before I leave. I take non-alcoholic drinks with me that I enjoy i.e. sparkling water, tonic with lime, eggnog. And I take my own car so I can escape. Also, having my dogs with me - I can take them out into the crisp winter night for a walk.

Like Anna says - stick close to SR - and we will all get through this together.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

RK -- so well said -- thank you.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this RK2007 (I almost didn't recognize you without your ghost avatar).

@ Ro - thanks for sharing that

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
So, stick close to SR and we`ll all get through this.
LMAO!! So true! That's pretty candid. I wonder if *anyone* actually enjoys the holidays? To me the whole affair is something to be endured (especially New Years Ever *grumble* ). Sadly, it's next to impossible to ignore the manic cheeriness and those annoying reindeer -.-
Old 11-19-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

RK, you put into words what I've been thinking for a couple weeks. "If only" I could enjoy a few like every single person I know can. I insisted for years that I could, and it led me to a very dangerous, life-threatening place. Last holiday season I proved to myself that it will drive me insane if I pick it up again. After a glass of champagne was put in front of me at my in-laws, I didn't draw a sober breath until mid-January. I needed a reminder. Thank you.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'll be spending the holidays with my in-laws.

They drink my favorite wine EVERY NIGHT. They pour the glasses right next to me at the dinner table. I can smell it. I can almost taste it!

Sometimes it doesn't bother me. But sometimes I really want a glass. After all, it was my favorite wine.

If I find myself wanting to take a glass, I'll remember that I won't stop at one glass, and I'll get drunk enough to black out. Then I'll remember what it's like to wake up on the floor drenched in my own vomit. (Does vomit-flavored wine sound appealing? Eew!) Then I have to remember the shame and regret of getting drunk, wondering what I did and what I said the night before.

Although I don't particularly care for my in-laws, I'd rather be sober around them than drunk.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is something I've been grappling with. I associate alcohol with the holidays soooo strongly. Its all about nostalgia. And the companies that sell alcohol use this nostalgia to sell their product. Its hard to have the thing your addicted to so aggressively marketed.

The thing that's been helping me is realizing that the crackling fires, the families together, the cheer and goodwill, the carols and hymns, the good food, all of that is there without alcohol. And I don't need alcohol to feel overwhelmed by the joy of these things like I used to think I did.

Last Christmas eve, I snuck into the bathroom during church with my family and chugged like 4 shots of cheap vodka! Talk about insanity! Talk about disrespect for my God, my family, and the other parishioners! I am shocked to think that I did this now, but that is the nature of my addiction. I cared more about it than anyone or anything else.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doll View Post

The thing that's been helping me is realizing that the crackling fires, the families together, the cheer and goodwill, the carols and hymns, the good food, all of that is there without alcohol. And I don't need alcohol to feel overwhelmed by the joy of these things like I used to think I did.

Last Christmas eve, I snuck into the bathroom during church with my family and chugged like 4 shots of cheap vodka!
Thanx for your post. I needed to hear that. All of it is there without the alcohol, not that it is "still" there - know what I mean ?? Drinking and church kinda takes it away - well it did for me, and in my insanity, somehow convinced myself that it was the season - and then all that cheer, goodwill was not there - not really

Hope this made sense

Mark