Notices

New Member, Getting Sober 1 Day at a Time~

Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face New Member, Getting Sober 1 Day at a Time~

Hello Everyone~ I've been reading posts since Friday, my first day of sobriety, and finally had the nerve to join and post.

I'm 31 and I've been a drinker for years. Every time I stop I think I can control it and have only one drink. That works for a little while, but I always end up in the same place. Drinking to mask feelings, to feel better, to not feel anything. The past few months I've been drinking a lot, easily 1 big bottle of wine a night (which actually equals 2) at least 3 times a week. I was sober for 9 months and then had 1 drink...here I am now, looking to get sober for good. I knew for a long time that I was an alcoholic but I was in denial. I would tell myself I could control it, but obviously that is not the case. I've been thinking back and the first time I got drunk I was 16, depressed about a situation with my boyfriend, and a "friend" got me drunk so I would feel better. I realize now that was my trigger and it's when my addiction started.

I want to get better. I don't want alcohol to ruin my life. I know if I don't stop now I will simply drink more and more until I no longer make decisions based on right or wrong but on when I can drink or not. So far I've been what people call "functional" I've never gotten in car drunk (actually, I did, once when I was 19. I don't remember getting home and I NEVER did that again!) I take care of my children, I take care of my Husband, I pay my bills, but I drink. And when I do I drink too much and too often. There is simply no way around it, just because I'm not driving drunk or losing a job doesn't mean I don't have a problem. That is how I was able to justify it for a long time. Because if I wasn't ruining my life, was I really an alcoholic? Well yes, I am. It took me reading a lot of the stories here to realize that. That is the stereotype that people have believed for so long, that I also believed.

I know it's not going to be easy, but I don't want to keep going down this road and have all the things I dread happen. Just because they haven't it doesn't mean they can't or won't if I don't quit.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good luck i need to stop aswell
Old 11-18-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mari - I wish I'd had the sense at 31 to see that I needed to stop. So many terrible things happened to me in the decades since then. I did what you do, drank to enhance or change my feelings or emotions. Not good (pay me now, or pay me later.) It's great that you found SR - these people have helped save my life.

Hello to you, too badlad (great name). Please tell us about yourself so we can help.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mari
Welcome!!! You've come to the right spot.
Your life sounds alot like mine. I'm not too far along in my journey so maybe we can help each other out. Good luck and always remember one day at a time...
Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you are thinking ahead...
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. You have no idea how glad I am that I found this place! I've been doing chores around the house the past hour because out of nowhere I started panicking and wanting a drink so I got busy doing something. I have no way to get alcohol, no car and no booze in the house, so that's good. I'm trying to keep busy in the meantime waiting for it to pass...why does time go by so slow when I feel like this? Sucks...
Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know if I don't stop now I will simply drink more and more until I no longer make decisions based on right or wrong but on when I can drink or not.
You and I have found a good place to start.

Welcome to SR Mari

Ed
Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

Welcome to SR, you have found a great place for support! Like you, I was fully functional while drinking heavily several days a week for years and years and years. Just because we're not getting DUIs or missing work or missing baseball games.....doesn't mean there isn't a very real problem to be dealt with .
Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Welcome, Mariposa!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome and support everyone =) Day 7 today and feeling better than I have in months. I've gotten more accomplished this morning around the house than I have since July!

One day at a time~
Old 11-20-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Deer =) But I'm curious, what is "Sober Time"? I'm looking for it and can't find it! lol

ETA: Never mind, I found it at the top of the page! lol Question, we count our sobriety date from our first day sober right? I took my last drink on Thursday the 13th, so my sobriety date is the 14th correct? That's how I've been counting it...
Old 11-21-2008, 03:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey mariposa, glad you here and doing good. I do it from the time of my last drink. It was Nov. 3. 2008 early evening...so today is 18 days early eve.. I guess I am technical about it. Keep posting,
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Mariposa,
congrats on getting the first week out of the way.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pam~That makes sense =) My last drink was late on the 13th so the 14th is accurate for me then~

Dave~ Thanks for the welcome. The first week was hard, but it got better as it went along.

Day 8 today =) Last Friday was my first day sober so it's officially been one week! I slept pretty good last night too, so that helps!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Hi Mariposa :-)
Welcome and good luck.
It took me 20yrs years to admit to myself i am an alcoholic, its a tough one to swallow, but having made the decision and accepting it remains one of the best things ive done yet. Same will apply to you im sure ;-)
Old 11-21-2008, 05:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

:ghug3
Welcome to the SR family!

Congratulations on your first week
and I am glad you are feeling better today!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Mari
Congratulations on your first week
Old 11-22-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 9 today =) I feel really good today. My Mom stopped by a while ago and I told her how I'd been struggling. I told her I didn't tell her anything because I didn't want to disappoint her. You know what she told me? "Baby, you could never disappoint me. I"m always here for you" Can I just say I love my Mom more than words can ever express?

I'm more determined now than ever to live my life to the fullest, without alcohol. To feel my emotions and deal with them as they come, not hide behind a bottle. I have so many blessings in my life, it's time I let go of the past and embraced what God has given me~