Notices

Stress Reduction in the Holidays

Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stress Reduction in the Holidays

10 WAYS TO PLAN AHEAD FOR THE HOLIDAYS (SIMPLY!)

1) Make a Pre-Season "To Do" List. (HINT: Save a copy for next ye[[
ar.)

2) Note when you'd like to have each task done. Avoid last-minute pressure.

3) Browse catalogs early, plan crafts projects,address cards,while you watch TV.

4) Ask for Help. If you have guests, everybody brings part of the meal--it actually makes us feel more a part of things.

5) Wrap-as-you-shop. Don't wait 'til the last minute. Better yet: shop at stores that wrap for you!

6) Swap baby-sitting with friends to get shopping done,"hands-free." (Be sure to buy yourself a little present, and a treat for the sitter!)

7) Creative surprises are wonderful, but ASKing what people want can make shopping easier. It's fun to know we're giving just what they really want.

8) Consider taking advantage of after-holiday sales. Perhaps wrap up a picture of the item or a toy version in a fancy box with an I.O.U. to buy it when it's on sale. (Write yourself a note to do it.)

9) Jan.'09 start a next-holidays savings account to auto-transfer a little in each week. Little by little, you'll make next December so much easier.

10)Take a look at "Stress-Buster Gift Ideas" below for loved ones near, or who may be far away.

"NEW NORMAL?" SIMPLIFY!
This season tends to escalate stress levels, but at the end of the day, most of us find "Attention to Personal Needs" somewhere at the bottom of our To-Do List. This year, ease pressure to make things, "just like before." 'Re-invent' the season with a Magic all its own, stay in the moment, and create new ways to celebrate the people you love, even if they are far away. Ask, "How could I simplify (or eliminate) just one task?" A few years ago during a family illness, no one was up to cooking Thanksgiving dinner. Despite years of tradition, we agreed to go to a restaurant and you know what we discovered? There's a LOT to be said for someone else doing all that work! Now, I know it's not for everyone, but if it means sitting together enjoying one another's company, no one stressed over shopping and cooking for days, nor scrubbing pans, it might be worth considering. If you all agree you'd rather be home, then this is a great year to have everybody pitch in. (Everyone --from 5 to 95, polishing silver or setting tables or dusting or greasing pans or totin' trash. (Your host/hostess will be very "Thankful!") In December, ask your family to reevaluate the more 'demanding' traditions. Create new ones. (e.g. Maybe skating and a sleep-over could replace, say, baking those 4 kinds of cookies from scratch!) Sharing responsibilities and decisions allows families to give to one another in ways that embody the true spirit and values of the Holiday Season.

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND...MORE FEEL-GOOD SONGS!!!!
Yesterday, I heard someone on TV suggest: If you're washing your hands after opening the mail and a few little "worry" thoughts flutter in, then as you wash, sing one verse of your favorite song, sending an internal message of empowerment that this is something you CAN do to feel safer. The following were sent in by readers. Great songs (and not all Boomer Tunes as I shared in October! LOL.)

From an article by Ann Metrioni