Notices

I'm a Drunk Train-Wreck

Old 11-18-2008, 04:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Oldschool! Congrats on a week sober.

Here is the best advice besides taking it one day at a time I can give.

HOW

Remain Honest, Open minded, and Willing!

Stay Honest with yourself, if you feel you are going to drink, be Open minded enough to be Willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober.

AA worked for me, but it took a lot more then going to 2 or 3 meetings and deciding "This ain't for this old drunk!" I made a commitment when I got out of detox that I would go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Some of the things I learned was, I am not alone, there is a solution, and there is HOPE!!!

I have made real sober friends in AA, there are always things to do both in and outside of AA, the only reason I have for being bored today is because I choose to be. I have discovered that everything I did while I was drinking I do better sober and remember it all the next day. The biggest discovery I have made is that I can now do everything I could not do drunk now.

I go to a concert and I remember every song played, and I have no fear of the police driving home. I watch a football game and I remember the 4th quarter. I do not embarass my family when we go places.

Congrats on the week sober, just keep in mind that getting sober is the easy part, staying sober is the hard part....... but it is also the fun part..... living life instead of existing drunk!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

Oldschool.. how are you doing today?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Train Wreck

Hey everybody, wow.. thanks for all the motivating and inspiring words This forum rocks!!!

Today, I feel great. I am performing tonight at a Songwriters Showcase which I am excited about. However, I usually drink before I perform because it calms my nerves. I get severe anxiety before performing so I will have to get used to it!

Yesterday wasn't so great. My car broke down in the middle of a bridge, I caused a huge traffic jam and people were notttt happy!! It was very stressful. My cellphone died, I had to walk several blocks to a UPS store to use their phone. I didn't have a dollar in my pocket but luckily a good friend of mine came to the rescue and paid the tow truck for me. Once I got home, the thought of drinking came to mind real quick. That's usually what I do after a stressful situation. What did I do instead? I came to this forum. This forum is really helping me so far

My friend is a therapist (same friend who paid for the tow) and he keeps telling me PEOPLE, PLACES, THINGS (he is a therapist). I am really doing everything in my power to avoid anyone that influences me to drink, which is 95% of the people in my life. I tend to hang around a bad crowd of people. But I do have the few "good" friends who do not drink and I've been surrounding myself around them the past week. My guitarist doesn't drink or do drugs so that is a big plus.

I sit here drinking a nice hot cup of coffee, wondering what I will do today. I think I will do some recording today, go for a long walk, and maybe some laundry. Woo Hoo, fun.
Thanks again everyone. I will continue to post on this forum with any updates, will be 100% honest with myself and you all. Sober since Nov. 11th, and counting !!

xoXOXo
Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Train Wreck

Man, it feels so good to wake up without a hangover, anxiety, depression, etc etc etc. I hope I can keep this up!!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Oldschool. Wanted to welcome you to SR and congratulate you on your decision to seek sobriety. Yes you can do this by taking it one day at a time.
I see you are already enjoying no hangovers. It feels a whole lot better for me to. Today is day 37 for me. It hasn't always been easy and I've had cravings on and off. I found a program that I follow that works for me, I hope you find something for you also. This isn't easy, but it can work One Day at a Time. (ODAAT). Take care.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Congrats on one more day sober Oldschool!
I tell you, when I got sober, I was so relieved to stop the drama. Give me "boring" any day. Lunch, a walk, laundry, etc all are great choices today.
Keep in mind that the alcohol is not going anywhere, you can have your misery fully refunded any time that you want. So just for today, do not pick up, no matter flippin what!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Heyy, I'm a performance artist and a writer and drinking was a huge part of my creative identity. It turns out that alcohol is actually unnecessary for performance because I'm already in a trance state and experiencing a "performance art high," and although writing did loosen me up to write, that usually only worked for the first night - then during the nights after that, I'd just be drinking and going off into my own world. Also, I discovered that drinking is terrible for reading philosophy (which I then need to write about), because I can't retain anything! Ultimately it wasn't so much about my art but my feelings and how I related to people socially.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

good news OS!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, OldSchool! I'm glad to hear that you're sticking with sobriety.

Let us know how the performance went.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
Man, it feels so good to wake up without a hangover, anxiety, depression, etc etc etc. I hope I can keep this up!!

It really does, doesn't it? I'd have to say that is the biggest draw (for me) to remaining sober. I used to wake up with such a huge amount of anxiety..heart pounding mind racing. Now? It's gone.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Train Wreck

That's one of the biggest reasons I decided to quit drinking, the anxiety attacks, panic attacks, hypoglycemia, depression, list goes on and on. I couldn't hold on to a job for the life of me. It's time for me to grow up and face life head on. Too bad the economy sucks and I can't find a job when I am ready to work again. Oh well, it will take time and I am patient. I really appreciate all of your support and absolutely love this forum. I am now 8 days sober, and feel great. xoXOoxOXoXOOXo
Old 11-19-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

OS, fix you!

and work will come...

and it might be something you never ever would imagined...

blessings

zip