Notices

how to do an intervention URGENT

Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how to do an intervention URGENT

OK this is the case... like me, my friend is an alcoholic... but he is "worse" (the problem is the same) He drinks every day untill almost passing out but being very very drunk not able to stand on his feet. taking drugs and sleeping pills to sleep after the drugs. taking all kids of meds to gain control of his body..

I am a strong drinker but believe me this guy drinks like it was water.

a bottle booze and a crate (24 bottles) of beer easy in an evening

I do believe he is trying to kill himself and thats what he says to...

He is only 25 years old has a lovely girlfriend.....

I decided to take action (I know it sounds idiotic being an alcoholic myself) and brought him to my gym to work out which he does very seriously 3-4 times a week now... only to go drinking after and sometimes before workingout

I hav already pointed him too this forum and he has read a few posts.....

Tomorrow at the gym I will tell him I quit drinking alcohol and I am 3 days sober by then... Maybe he wants to quit also (hope so he is a nice guy)

what can I do more..... any ideas?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I am a recovering alcoholic (14 years) and addict. The combination of alcohol and drugs your friend is on is extremely dangerous and he well could die. It is my suggestion that he go to A.A. and/or Detox now to get help. Is he ready to quit drinking and drugging. Has he hit his bottom yet? He is in a very very dangerous situation and it can only lead to 3 places, jails, institutions or death.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

If you want to do an intervention, you will likely need the help of a professional and some other family members or friends of the alcoholic. I think interventions can work if they are done well.

I hope that your friend will decide to seek help. Meanwhile, focus on yourself and your recovery.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well he is not ready to quit........ but it is slowely creeping up on him.... But he just doesnt care... But his girlfriend does...

there is no AA in my region it is about 40 miles away and they are only open once a week. I know for sure he wont go there... What I will do I will make him a bet... I will bet him USD 20 that he hasnt got the guts to tell his story on this forum.... Maybe the reaction from the people here will make him strong enough.. to seek help... I know I should focus on myself but I will be confronted with him a lot every week so just trying to do the right thing for me and him at the same time.

if my bet succeeds he will be signing in tomorrow afternoon FL time

if anyone has other tactics just let me know
Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Interventions I would think you would want professional help on how to conduct it ...I know that until you are ready to stop you won't. Maybe an intervention will help, I wish you luck..alcohol and drug withdrawals can be Very serious, if he does quit, might need to see a doctor or go to detox to do it safely. Good luck, let us know how it all goes.