Notices

No Hangover

Old 11-15-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Hangover

Wow, I feel good today everyone. I had a sober night last night with some very supportive friends. I actually woke up at 4:30 am with no alarm thinking I had to go to the gym and its a weekday I usually am just getting home at that time.

I did end up going to the gym for two hours, grocery shopped, cleaned the whole house and made a good meal all before I would have woken up on any other Saturday.

I am going to a B day party tonight with a bunch of people. We are bowling and there will be alcohol around. My mind is strong, i am not hearing the demons and I feel like I will be OK drinking water or a coke.

We will see how it pans out but I really am not tripping about it too hard.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It is possible to be around alcohol and not indulge in it. You have to be strong and you have to want to be sober more than anything. I will keep you in my thoughts that you will succeed. Focus on your recovery over all and you'll be alright.

:ghug3
Old 11-15-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I feel strong today. I will keep you posted
Old 11-15-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sober is sooo much better...
Congratulations!
Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Psuge......when you are set on a goal you can reach it. I too went out recently, to a whiskey/cigar bar last weekend...one of my former hangouts.....had 2 pepsi's and a good 2 hours of conversation. It does work and can be done when you are wanting to be in a certain place. Good luck and I wish you the best!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Made it out alive

I went out, Bowled, Had a blast watched everyone around me drink and I had Iced tea. Someone next to me ordered my exact drink and I didnt flinch. Felt good.

I even went to my regular bar that I hangout at and when I walk in the door they have my cocktail waiting before I even step to the bar. I called right before I showed up and said no drinks, IM having water. I chatted with all of my buddies for about an hour and just came home. I had several compliments saying that I looked good and have I been working, which I have been like a mad dog this last week.

Two Large tests that I passed tonight. Thank you all for your support. I really have gained a lot of strength and feel that I cant let myself down and any of you
Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Two Large tests that I passed tonight.
its the tomorrows that we have to be careful of 47
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by psuge47 View Post
Two Large tests that I passed tonight. Thank you all for your support. I really have gained a lot of strength and feel that I cant let myself down and any of you
Glad you mentioned not wanting to let YOURSELF down in addition to others. That's key.

You've almost gotten through an entire weekend! That's pretty awesome, and I'll bet you actually surprised yourself. I know I did the first time I made it to one week, then two, etc.

The thing is -- remember to take it a day at a time. Looking or thinking too far head may sabotage your efforts, and you'll undoubtedly have your ups and downs. My suggestions? Keep posting and reading here as often as possible.

Finally, kudo's for calling ahead so that drink wasn't waiting for you!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I believe the call ahead to the bar was Key. If Im going to put myself in a bar situation I need to limit the temptation as much as possible for me.

It felt good to test myself and maybe it was too soon but truly felt unstoppable.

I know some days will be tougher than others and I definitely had those on Thursday and Friday.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

David69 Thanks. good to see some Oregonians out there.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 11

Im on day 11 and feel pretty good. Work is very stressful, I am in the mortgage industry and we are getting our butts kicked right now.

I usually would go have some cocktails after a crappy day but instead of going out I have been going to the gym.

That negative self talk keeps creeping in and telling me that work is stressful, your buddies are out drinking and you deserve to have a few to relax and take the edge off.

I Am just trying to stay sober each day, this is not as easy as I thought.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Some advantages I found about being a sober employee ..
you do a better job...
you look healthier and don't smell of stale booze.

Way to go on your sober time..
Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11 days - that's a huge achievement Waking up with a (relatively ) clear head is priceless! Keep up the good work, and enjoy it!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations. You make such a good point going to the gym rather than the bar.

i'm going cancel my Satellite tv subscription and spend the money on a gym membership instead.

I feel like I have so much more energy and I want to put it to good use
Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have dropped about 10 pounds in a week and a half. Plus its a good place to meet new people.

Most gyms have TV's in them so you watch the tube while on a treadmill. Probably a little extreme but it gets you out of the house and away from that Idle time when my Monkeys start talking to me.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Train Wreck

Congrats

LOL @ when my monkey starts talking to me. That's cute. That is AWESOME that you lost 10 lbs in less than two weeks. Most of my weight gain is also from alcohol. I am on day 9 sober, looks like I dropped a lb. or two myself =)

Doesn't it really feel sooo great waking up without a hangover? I love it! Now I just need to get my butt in a gym. I guess I'm embarassed, I'm a thick chick... and I always feel like everyone is staring at me lol.

Anywho... congrats on staying sober. I've been taking it one day at a time too, and so far so good.

xoXOo
Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OldSchool, I have found that at the gym most people are in their own world working on themselves. Please don't feel self conscious in there. That is the place where you have the most positive self talk, even if you only do 10 to 15 minutes of cardio. At least you got in there and you will feel great when you leave.

Speaking of the Monkeys, those little bastards have a very strong voice. The only way to shut them up was to give in and go pound some drinks. I am on day 12 now and they are talking louder than ever. I just have to blow them off and stay positive.

This website has really helped me out!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

By the way congrats on day 9. Not being Hungover feels really good when you wake up!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Its day 13 and Im going strong. I went to my normal watering hole tonight that has consumed so much of my time the last 8 or so years. I drank a pitcher if Iced tea and hung out by the front door helping my buddy bounce the rowdy folks, which a couple weeks ago i was one of them.

I do have to say it was kind of therapy to go to "my spot" hang out with my friends so it doesn't feel like I am missing out on anything and watch and listen to everyone get hammered.

I was very annoyed by the drunk, obnoxious, constantly repeating themselves people that thought I was interested in what they had to say tonight.Two weeks ago, that was me. WOW! I had to apologize to my sober friends that work there because now I know what I put them through. I didn't even have an urge to drink and I have been pounding drinks for the last 17 years like a rock star.

I know the bar scene so soon may not be a good Idea for some but it is making me realize that I was truly wasting hours upon hours of what I thought was fun sitting at a bar all night getting hammered accomplishing absolutely nothing but swelling the liver and making bad decisions.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 13, I'm on Day 6 and I have to say i'm avoiding a lot of my friends and usual locations! I'm having bouts of terrible cravings anyway, the last thing i need to do is make it easier to feed the cravings!!!!

Its unreal how tiresome and dull drunk people are... i've spent the last 20 years of my life wanting to be one of those people. What a waste...