Notices

The Relapse Prevention Tool Box

Old 04-28-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
This is what I'm trying to do now...I can't even think about tonight, just the next few hours. That's good advice.
Thanks for sharing Sweets79. Boy...that has been one of the BIGGEST truth's for me as well. One day, one hour, one minute at a time. Whatever, "moment" it takes for us to make it to the next clean.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by JusToday View Post
Thanks for sharing Sweets79. Boy...that has been one of the BIGGEST truth's for me as well. One day, one hour, one minute at a time. Whatever, "moment" it takes for us to make it to the next clean.
Made it through without a drink so far...oh I like your avatar by the way, Dwight lol.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

14. Remember the H.A.L.T. Principles

H = Hungry, A = Angry, L = Lonely, T = Tired. These are states you want to avoid where possible and have the awareness to do something about as soon you feel any of them coming on. Though, these appear to be very simple things to be aware of in your daily life, they are surprisingly connected to so many relapses.

Anger is probably the hardest one to deal with and it's not as obvious what you need to do about it as with the other ones ...The trick to dealing with anger is to forgive and let go. But how do you do that practically ...? Though this may sound a bit corny for some of you, consider responding to your feelings of anger (as hard as it may be) with the very opposite response: like a prayer or blessing for whatever or whoever makes you feel that anger. Wish upon that person all the good things you'd want for yourself ... and you'll be amazed at how your anger dissolves. Then just repeat as needed. Trust me it can work. Its amazing what can happen to you personally when we make a stand against particular unhealthy feelings we have fallen into a habit of just responding the same way with over and over.

All anger does is poison you and your mind. How does that benefit you?

By consciously wishing good things upon someone you don't like - and dare I say it, even hate (because your resentment does nothing to them, it only poisons you) - you stop thinking about them less and less until in your own mind they hardly figure any more.

It doesn't mean you have to like a particular person, but by letting go of your anger and resentment those intense feelings that could very easily see you relapse are dissolved. So the trade-off for you becomes peace of mind (man, I'll take that wherever I can get it!).

Your addiction recovery process is a journey of self discovery. And if you're committed to that journey, the more you work on your personal growth and self-development will ensure that your life continues to evolve and improve beyond what you ever imagined possible.
Thank you for that...the HALT thing is so true...I find that happening me every time I try to stop drinking, all those feelings...Anger and resentment played a huge role in my drinking, the constant thinking and trying to analyze why people do certain things also made me nuts, and the drinking calmed that down...there has to be a way to cope without the alcohol, that's what I'm looking for at this point in my life.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
Thank you for that...the HALT thing is so true...I find that happening me every time I try to stop drinking, all those feelings...Anger and resentment played a huge role in my drinking, the constant thinking and trying to analyze why people do certain things also made me nuts, and the drinking calmed that down...there has to be a way to cope without the alcohol, that's what I'm looking for at this point in my life.
You are so right! There is a way. A healthy way. Many of us, like myself, are learning or re-learning to cope and deal with "life's ugly stuff" in a way the is healthy and actually (in the end) good for us. The funny thing is also, the more we work on our "stuff" properly, the less we spend time to think and analyze the "why's" of other people.

Keep putting one step in front of the other!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

One day, one hour, one minute at a time. Whatever, "moment" it takes for us to make it to the next clean.
I understand the concept but it also scares me. I am new to recovery so every day and every hour is hard. But if I stay sober for 20 years, will I still have to fight every minute to stay sober? It sounds so exhausting. Does it get easier with time for everybody?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OceanBound View Post
I understand the concept but it also scares me. I am new to recovery so every day and every hour is hard. But if I stay sober for 20 years, will I still have to fight every minute to stay sober? It sounds so exhausting. Does it get easier with time for everybody?
It sure does over time. Easy can be such a misleading term, but here is the reality: The fight does get less and less severe as we stay consistent in our recovery. The longer you walk forward in your recovery the more it becomes a part of the "new you" and the "old you" becomes weaker and weaker. Mind you, as addicts/alcoholics it never will die, but being sober and living healthy (emotionally and physically) becomes more of who we are one day at a time.

I kind of look at our recovery as growing a muscle. When we first start out, lets face it, we are quite weak and our addictive side is strong. So we need all the help we can get at first to fight against this strong opponent. The more we "work out" our recovery muscle, the stronger we become and the weaker our addiction becomes. I hope this made some sense to you.

Keep it up, keep the steps and keep coming back!