Notices

Student trying to quit Ultram

Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Student trying to quit Ultram

Hi everybody my name is Adam Said and I am from the UP of Michigan. I am currently attending Northern Michigan University and pursuing a degree in Anthropology in the hopes of getting into graduate school and becoming an archaeologist. I am 20 years old and have been addicted to painkillers, most recently tramadol, since I was 17 years of age. I am a sufferer of chronic cluster headaches, one of the most painful conditions on earth, and self medicate through the use of painkillers. I am trying to quit these dreaded things, but am having incredible amounts of rebound pain that is just unbearable. My family doesn't know about this, my girlfriend who I love very much doesn't know about this, and it's just eating me up inside. I am unhealthy, have already messed up enough in my life, and am just generally sick of being a junky. I have wasted so much time, energy, money, and life on these god damn things and just cannot seem to shake this addiction. These Ultrams, although advertised as non-narcotic, are the most horrible things to withdraw from. I had an easier time coming off of oxycodone than I do with ultram. I believe this is due to their effect on 4 different types of neurotransmitters, versus 1 like most painkillers effect. If anyone has any advice or words of encouragement I would really appreciate it. It seems so hard right now to admit I have this problem usually I do not admit or show any weakness whatsoever, but this is really getting out of hand. I already have two felonys on my record, have sat jail time, have been to rehab, and just switched to the legal ultrams ordered off the internet to stay out of trouble and maintain my addiction. But these ultrams are almost IMPOSSIBLE to get off of! I have never felt such severe withdrawal! Sweating, shaking, shitting, shivering, cold and hot flashes, vomiting, anxiety, severe depression, brain "zaps", tunnel vision, extreme lethargy, mood swings, loss of concentration, runny nose, runny eyes, these are some of the withdrawal symptoms I deal with. Someone please help me help myself!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Adam,

I am not a drug user, my addiction has been alcohol, but I just wanted to say I strongly suggest you go and see a doctor.Your withdrawal symptoms sound pretty severe to me and it can be dangerous to do this without medical supervision. Even if you went to your local ER you can get medical help there too.

I'm sorry I don't have any more advice for you but others here will be along I'm sure with more experience in this area.Welcome to SR and keep posting here for support.

Jules.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You need to go to the doctors right now. They have medical there at the school go see a friend and tell someone what has been going on. If you want to fix your life you need to tell someone and get the right help. No one needs to do withdrawals by themselves.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Don't try and do this alone, see a Doc and do whatever your advised, which is probably a detox and after that some ongoing support.

Kevin
Old 11-10-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Adam
I know next to nothing about pills, but what you're experiencing sounds pretty bad - can you visit the campus health clinic, or if you prefer, some other doctor off campus? Like others have said here, I think medical advice and supervision would be good for you right now...

welcome to SR~
D
Old 11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's a Substance Abusers forum, lots of good advice and info in there. I'm a recovering alcoholic so don't know about pills, but the Substance Abusers may have the info you need. Please see a doctor or go to the ER or the campus health facility. Do'nt delay! Go now!

Welcome to SR!:ghug3