Notices

Topic: How do We Come Across?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Question Topic: How do We Come Across?

Well this is a good thing for me tonight. Here it is after 2:30am been coding, working my butt off all day on the sites. I have been sick but am feeling much better. I have a issue that I have had to deal with most of my life and it is even harder to express how you are saying things more so on the Internet than it is in person. The reason is really no one knows the tone in which you are sitting there typing. EVEN WITH CAPS that doesn't mean that I was yelling there although most automatically think that you are.

So my issue is, I try to reply or to maybe even go as far as to explain something that someone might be missing. Than, I read a response to what I said, and feel as if I hurt someones feelings, or maybe even lost another friend. I have lost so many through the Internet, held on to a few, and haven't had any issues with others. So when I end up hurting someone, than I start to retreat into my shell. I leave, basically, run....run from the issue at hand. Once I can deal with it I do try to go back and see what can be done. Heck there might be a few people even here that they will end up reading this and think that it is about them LMBO

The point is I guess, I feel as if maybe my services on the Internet are finished. I have worked very hard for about 1 1/2 years now, not knowing anything when I started, and basically have trained myself to everything that I know (which isn't much) but there comes a time when you have to know when it is time to let go. I am not saying that I should, want to, that isn't the case! I love what I have done, whom I have helped, and for those who have helped me so much in learning patience, tolerance and love. It is just to the point that I am not sure if I can do anything creative, anything that could make a difference. I have given my all and yet it seems as if I continue to fall.

OK probably not making any sense.

Thanks for listening

Is there a topic? LMBO
Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Chance,
don't think about giving up on here. As for believing some of your posts have upset people, well on a site like this that is easy to do, because so many of us can be feeling fragile at times.
Those of us who are working our way thru addictions, and or having hard times with family or partners can misunderstand another person's words.

Some of us have had so many put downs in our lives, that even a mild suggestion can seem to us like we are getting "told" again.

Don't worry about it. Just keep on with doing the sharing you have done, because it may be something one of us needs desperately just at that time.

God bless
Old 11-09-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have felt as you describe at times chance. And I have at times been very hurt by someones response to my posts.

Actually for me, I don't do well at these things in real life, so on the interenet I am learning to deal with these things much better than I have before.

So far I am learning so much about myself and my beliefs and how to deal with them sober from the positive AND the negative that happens inside me through the posting and reading I do here.

Many people choose to leave or take breaks and that is fine. I suppose I can't imagine that I would post here everyday for the next 20 years...or if I did that it would be at the level I do now.

I go through different phases in my life and I just try to be fully involved from momnet to moment with whatever I am doing.

I'de love to see you stick around, but it is a decision you have to make....and you know you can always change your mind tomarrow or 10 years from now...
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Chance, consider yourself human. As others have said what you describe is similiar to what many of us have felt at times.

What I have found that helps me is when I reply to a thread and feel that my response might come across in a negative or unintended way, I first type my response into a word processor program and save it. Then I come back to it in about an hour and sometimes in a day. I then re-read my response as well as the thread and replies to the thread. It is easier to see it then from a viewers eyes rather than a writers eyes. I then edit it as needed. It is only then that I post my response. This has literally saved my bacon a couple of times as my reply was originally way off base and easily misconstrewed.

Stick around, we need concientious people like yourself. I am glad you are here.:ghug2
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

YOu've never offended or hurt me that I can recall, and if you did, it's long forgotten.

I'm still beating myself up over a too harsh post to someone a long time ago, but am learning to be more gentle and kind.

Stick around if you like! We're all human and we all make mistakes or go "off the deep end" so you're just like us! Don't worry so much about it.

:ghug3
Old 11-09-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Vic...Who hasnt offended someone..Some time or another?
Its life.
And I think you should take it easy on yourself.
Do what your doing because you enjoy it.
You have alot going on and worrying about coding and who your offending shouldnt be one of them.
Your health comes first.
You know your alright in my book.
Miss seeing you here as much.
I hope your feeling better.
And dont push yourself too much.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right out of Chapter 7. "Nothing insures our own sobriety like working with others.
When you sit at your keyboard you are working with others. Thus strengthening your own sobriety. Others will get hurt and the same statement might help someone else. You are sober, which is what you're here for.
You can not ever please everyone. Do not try.
I have been known to come off as a little abrasive from time to time, but that's me. I have said what I feel needs to be said. Therefore I will not wallow in guilt when someone doesn't make it.
People will drink if they choose, regardless of what I say. People with a resolve to stay sober will stay sober. Regardless of what I say.
Although it sounds a little selfish, I am here for myself. I go to meetings for myself and I work with other Alcoholics for myself. If they like what I have to say, then fine. If they don't, that's fine too.