Notices

Under the Influence or Beyond the Influence?

Old 11-07-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Under the Influence or Beyond the Influence?

Hello! :)

I would like to order one of these books and I'm trying to decide which one to order. Has anyone purchased or read BOTH of these books? Which one would you recommend? I went onto Amazon and it looks like "Beyond..." is an extension of "Under...", but I don't want to miss anything. I've seen excerpts from this site from "Under..." and it's a fascinating read.

Thanks so much in advance! :)
Old 11-07-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read "Under the Influence" Melissa and it helped me understand the disease of alcoholism a lot better. I have yet to read the "Beyond the Influence." If you read Beyond or anyone else has, please let me know if that has something new to offer that wasn't in the Under book. Thank you Melissa!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Horselover!

I'll let you know what I find out!

Last edited by BreakFree; 11-07-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I probably should have done a search before starting this thread because this question has been posed before! :) Here is a link to a thread created by stone...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...+the+influence

I'm still unsure, but I'm leaning toward ordering "Beyond the Influence"...hopefully we'll hear from some more people who have read both by the end of the day :)
Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I bought Under the Influence on Amazon.com for a penny and 3.99 shipping! I am reading it right now...it is very interesting and makes you really stop and think about what we are doing to our bodies. I will probably get Beyond the Influence when I am done with this.

I also read Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp in a day or two. It was very interesting.

Have a great day!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there! :)

I am going to go ahead and order Beyond the Influence. I am anxious to start reading and it sounds like I can't go wrong either way :)
Old 11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I read both - most of, anyway. I much preferred 'Beyond'
Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Rowan...OH YAY! :) I JUST placed my order! :)
Old 11-07-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you learn as much from it as I did.

I wanted the book so bad but couldn't find it in bookstores here or in the library so I asked the library to order both and they did! Now they have copies for their alcoholism section and I can borrow them!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Rowan - I read "Under the Influence" and you read both. Can you tell me why Beyond was better? I probably should get that next. Is it a continuation?
Thanks!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Horselover...In one of the well-written reviews at Amazon the author stated that "Under" was like a crash course and "Beyond" was the full curriculum. I thought that was an interesting way to put it! :)
Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Melissa - It must be a really good book then because I enjoyed reading Under. I will definitely get Beyond next. Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I found Under to be kind of dated in the way it was written and it wasn't laid out very well. Beyond was more modern and easier to read with sections broken down. It's been a while since I've read it but it was one of those books I could flip open to a particular section i.e. blackouts and read a whole section about them.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't recall the exact publishing dates
but there was a span of years between.

My guess...as I have not read "Beyond"
I got sober before it was written.
...I did use the info in "Under"

There may be more scientific facts
presented in the sequel than were known
when Milam & Ketcham wrote "Under"

Just my guess....I
Old 11-07-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bummer... I just got home from the book store and had both in hand and ended up going with the UNDER first because I thought the BEYOND was a continuation. I didn't have time to read the scripts on the book because I had my 2 1/2 year old son wanting to run through the store... haha.

Well I am still excited... yet wished I would have gotten the BEYOND after reading what everyone wrote.

Have a great night all!

XOXO
Old 11-08-2008, 04:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Thanks for all the good information. I have not read Beyond but I will work on getting a copy. For those who only have a copy of Under, you will be informed and educated by reading it. The menu plans are also a great help while you are planning your meals during recover.

Another question about the difference between the two books, please. Under the Influence does address alcohol addiction PLUS drug addiction. Does Beyond the Influence address drug addiction and the reactions within our bodies? This would be very helpful for our friends recovering from pharmecutical addiction.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone! :)

Pelican...Great points! :) I hope Beyond contains the meal plan! I know it does discuss diet so hopefully (fingers crossed). I love meal plan ideas! :)

For anyone looking for further information on the books:

Here is a direct link to the Under the Influence at Amazon.com...

Amazon.com: Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism: James Robert Milam, Katherine Ketcham: Books

...and Beyond the Influence

Amazon.com: Beyond the Influence: Understanding and Defeating Alcoholism: Katherine Ketcham, William F. Asbury, Mel Schulstad, Arthur P. Ciaramicoli: Books

If Beyond contains all the information in Under, it is hard to tell from the Table of Contents. For those of you not familiar with Amazon, if you look under the picture of the book, there is a link that says, "Search inside this book," and you can look at the ToC, an Excerpt, and the Back Cover. I find it soooo helpful. You can also read reviews which are found as you scroll toward the bottom of the page.

Hopefully we can hear from more members that have read both :)
Old 11-08-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

shanman...Don't be too disappointed, the feeling I'm getting is that you cannot go wrong with either one! :) It sounds like the most important information was written in Under and included in Beyond. I would have done the same thing in your circumstance...and I almost DID throw the kids in the car and drive to B&N yesterday! LOL I was thinking how cool it would be to do a Book Study here, but then I realized that most people that are just starting to read it bought Under! LOL Can't win! LOL
Old 11-09-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Happy reading everyone!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann

I have both. I first bought UTI and thought it was very thought provoking, so I bought BTI. Both are really good. However, I prefer the layout in Beyond the Influence better. The nutritional section is MUCH better in Beyond. I follow this plan and I think it has really helped me feel - really pretty good - and healthy too. I also really enjoyed all the assessment questionaires.