Notices

Planning to quit drinking? Read me!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Planning to quit drinking? Read me!

Hi guys!

I thought it might be helpful for new people to read what someone (me, obviously) newly sober has to say about withdrawing and detoxing. I'm brand new and don't know much, but here's what I do know and it is VERY important.

1. Please do not be afraid to seek medical attention for quitting alcohol. I know it feels shameful, and you'd probably prefer to try to power through your detox on your own, but please seek medical attention if the following applies to you:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1588576

I should have gone to the doctor right away because I had been drinking enough long enough to warrant it, but I was stubborn. Don't be me. Go to the doctor. It will only make you more comfortable. And the emergency room is a perfectly acceptable option if you don't have a regular doctor.

2. Even if these things don't apply to you, see your doctor anyway. I didn't get medical attention until I was having such a strong panic attack that my heart was racing at 120 beats per minute and I was on the verge of passing out and ended up the emergency room.

Even if you don't need to be medically detoxed, your doctor can
a. Make you more comfortable. Mine prescribed me 4 Ativan, enough to make it through my withdrawal process.
b. Ease your fears about whether you are fit to make it through a non-medically supervised detox. My withdrawal related panic attacks were made infinitely worse by the notion that I really could die. My doctor checked me and told me that I would be fine.

May God be with you and comfort you through your struggles.
:ghug3
Old 11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for pointing out the caution of telling a doctor. Alcohol detox can be dangerous.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Duh... I just realized now that I was withdrawing the first week of my sobriety. I kept wakng up in the middle of the night with cold sweats... I didn't put two and two together til now. Glad those days are over!!!

Thanks for sharing this info.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For those that do not know, alcohol withdrawal is the most dangerous withdrawal there is, several times more dangerous than opiate withdrawal for example.So please don't think you have some moral insulation because "its only alcohol". Alcohol may be legal, but it carries with it the most dangerous detox/withdrawal of any drug.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks Doll...

On the link Doll posted...you will see that each member
who shared there had different experiences while de toxing.
Some are similar ..but not exact.

There are too many variables to ever be certain
how you will react. Past experiences don't count.

That is an excellent reason to consult with a doctor.
Be both sober and safe!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

2 weeks

I know most of you on herent are doctors or even play one on tv but would 2 weeks of heavy bing drinking warrent withdraws or a doctors visit? I already have BP pills to help with the high blood pressure and a script for xanax when things get really. I hadnt drank for almost a month before I went on this little binger. Any advice would be great, I really dont want to go see my doctor if I dont have to, as Ive said, no insurance so a visit is close to $120. Day one AGAIN...
Old 11-18-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Angry So broken!!

Hello, I am new here. I was in a medical detox from 8/29/08 - 9/4/08. I considered it successful, at the time. I was motivated, happy, feeling good for the first time in 18 years. Yes, it has been an 18-year journey. I was embarrassed, ashamed and very, very broken. I've wound up in the ER on more than one occasion and have literally broken two of my toes from falling down. I drank to self medicate due to panic attacks and severe anxiety.

I relapsed 22 days after I got home. I was so afraid of relapsing, as my husband continued to drink heavily. Initially, I took a stand and asked him to have all the alcohol (vodka) out of the house when I got home. It was still here, but he kept it hidden in his office. I could smell it.

I told him to not ask me to go buy it for him because I didn't need the old environment or the temptation. He got his own for the first three weeks. Then, I got to where I couldn't sleep. It would be 2:00-3:00 am, and I'd still be awake.

No, he did not make me take that first drink again. No threatening me, or belittling me. I did it to myself.

And, now I am scared again!!! I do not have the funds to go back into the hospital and my insurance has paid the maximum they will pay until August of next year. I cannot wait that long.

I'M SUCH A LOSER

Last edited by broken2; 11-18-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

broken,
NO, you are NOT a loser! You are an alcoholic as a lot of us are.
Can you go see your general practioner?
How long have you been drinking again?
Have you tried to get some support from self help programs? It does not sound like you are going to get the support that you need at home right now.
You are going to have to work for this recovery.
My best advice? Try AA and go to a meeting every day. The fellowship and the 12 steps of AA have saved my life!
Best of luck to you
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

oh god thank you!

Thank you so much. I really didn't think anyone would respond. That's how down I am on myself.

I've been drinking again since I relapsed on Sept. 20th. At first, just "to get to sleep" and then the same old patterns started again. Blackouts, slurring, feeling horrible, unable to stop, panic ridden if Saturday comes and I haven't made a liquor run for Sunday.

I'm ashamed to go back to my doctor, but I guess I shouldn't worry about what she thinks. I'm doubly ashamed because my sons were SO proud of me. :sorry

So far today, I've drank two Gatorades. That's what they had for us in the detox. But, I'm so nauseated; just so sick on my stomach. And, my husband is "watching me" ... no, I'm not being paranoid. He IS! Ha!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi broken2 - You are not a loser at all. I have so many start overs I can't count them. Please consider going back to your Doctor. Believe me she won't think less of you for asking for help. Probably think more of you. Bet she has dealt with lot's and lot's of alcoholics and undertands more then you
can know.

I have to echo what TTSOBT has posted. I have to work at my recovery, hard. I do go to meetings everyday. I have a sponsor and I use her. I come
here and reach out and all this is working to keep me sober 24 hours at a time. I have 37 days today and it has been years since I have been able to stay sober this long. You can do this, you really can. Take care.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone~ I've been sober since November 14th and I haven't gone to the Doctor. I've been nauseous, irritable, having headaches, restless sleep/nightmares and depressed the past few days but today I feel much better. I have no medical insurance, which is why I didn't go to the Doctor.

Broken~
You are not a loser. Getting down on ourselves only makes this worse. I know when I start to get down on myself, I would run to the wine bottle. Keep you head up and good luck~

Searching~ I have no insurance either. I'd like to hear what others have to say about that as well. Good Luck~
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Me too, Broken - so many start-overs, but now I've finally got it. None of us are losers, we're some of the best people in the world. You'll probably be more determined to make it stick this time, knowing the price you're paying right now. Please don't give up and don't waste any more time kicking yourself. We're glad you are here. You can do it this time!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

broken2...Welcome!

Yes! you too can quit...and stay quit.
Just don't have that "only one" today.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks, you guys

I was on SUCH a roll! Now, I'm sitting here, still not thinking much of myself! I really had the bull by the horns and was going to meetings, welcoming others, going out to lunch with a few of the ladies. I'm also phobic and have social anxiety so, for me, that was huge! I mean, the meetings and all ... acting like a normal person.

My doctor is very good, but they also detoxed me from Klonopin when I was there. That is the only drug I've ever taken that blocked my panic attacks and the alcohol is now my anxiety buffer. Oh god!! I know that is so wrong. I mean, it's unhealthily wrong!! I guess the only positive is that I know that and I am no longer happy or content to "drown my sorrows."

I just don't know how to get back to DAY ONE sober again. I will call my doctor's office this week, though.

Oh, and, I had a lady who agreed to be my sponsor when I was going to the meetings. She told me to call her every day and we'd "just chat." I happily said I would.

So, the next day, I did just that ... I called her. Being phobic, that was going out on a limb for me, but I did it anyway. After I identified myself, she was almost rude and said she didn't have time to talk. (Maybe I interrupted her drinking?) lol

All right, so I've gotten bitten a couple times. I really feel like I am whining. Sorry, I truly don't mean to.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your not alone, i went to detox for 5 days..had a relapse 6 days later, they tried to pt me back in detox..but i refused ..went to outpatient rehab, relapsed 26 days into it...while stil in 5 day a week rehab. finished rehab and relapsed two more times...this last one was sooo bad. Alot of us have done it..you just pick yourself up and move forward. this last relapse for me scared me, i fear death or mental lock up..alcohol doesn't agree with my mind anymore.....stay strong..keep posting here..and AA is great. It is saving me. if you haven't tried it, try..so much support from caring people who do understand. God bless
Old 11-19-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pam

Originally Posted by Pam08 View Post
Your not alone, i went to detox for 5 days..had a relapse 6 days later, they tried to pt me back in detox..but i refused ..went to outpatient rehab, relapsed 26 days into it...while stil in 5 day a week rehab. finished rehab and relapsed two more times...this last one was sooo bad. Alot of us have done it..you just pick yourself up and move forward. this last relapse for me scared me, i fear death or mental lock up..alcohol doesn't agree with my mind anymore.....stay strong..keep posting here..and AA is great. It is saving me. if you haven't tried it, try..so much support from caring people who do understand. God bless
Thank you so much, Pam! "Stay strong" ... that's the first time I've heard anyone say that to me. It gives a certain vulnerability, I guess, to what we are going through. All my other talks have been more like "pep" talks ... so, that was touching to me.

And, I have tried AA. I remember sitting there and crying and getting so many warm hugs. I don't like to be weak, but I am. I'm also strong in alot of ways, in spite of everything. I took care of (and was legal guardian) both my parents in the nursing homes. It was awful, but I was determined they would get well. They didn't. That is when my drinking started in earnest. It's all been downhill since then (the past eight years.)

I NEVER drank before and, in fact, resented both my parents for drinking when I was younger. Go figure.

Thank you again and I wish you success!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, thanks so much, Deerwalk.

I'm very jaded tonight. Not believin' anything. Guessing it's depression.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I just want to reiterate something from my original post: Even if its not medically necessary for you to see a doctor, you might consider doing it anyway because they may be able to make you more comfortable while you detox. Like I said, mine prescribed me a small supply of anti-anxiety meds and also gave me peace of mind. Those two things were priceless to me in my first few days and well worth any embarrassment I felt at having to admit my alcoholism.