Notices

A suggestion. Might work for me, maybe for you too

Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A suggestion. Might work for me, maybe for you too

Hello again family!!

Although my last post was filled with hope and inspiration, and believe me I am definetely positive about my sobriety and recovery. However, I do struggle with patience and handing things over to my HP.

It was very easy for me to admit defeat over alcohol and ask for my God's help. It eventually was easy to "hand it over" to him, and trust that he will do what's right for me.

Every morning I ask him for strength, guidance, and wisdom to see his path for me and for me to follow that path.

But I do find that it is difficult to hand over lots of other things in my life, and I suffer a lot of anxiety about things out of my control. The serenity prayer is said often during my day, but I find myself constantly unknowingly taking my own will back. Maybe not my alcoholism, but some other affairs going on with me.

It was suggested to me to create a "God Box". Write what I am struggling with on a piece of paper and put it in the God Box, walk away and try to forget about it. Trusting that he will take care of it for me. The way he intends it to, not how I intend it to. On his time, not mine. Then you can go back maybe once a month or even sooner, take out the papers, and see how things have changed. I struggle with patience the most, because as a good little alcoholic knows, I want what I want and I want it NOW. I seek instant gratification and never receive it. It seems my gifts come to me when I am least expecting them, and usually when I am stressing over something else.

I am going to use a coffee can as my "God Box" and I am starting today with patience being my first slip of paper. Also, my soulmate who I want home now and is digging his heels in. I am obsessing about this and need to rid myself of the anxiety.

Perhaps this will work for you. I thought it was a decent suggestion.
Good Luck

:day4
Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Patience is a good one for me as well. I keep a journal. It's kinda like a god box. The things I write down tend to disappear beneath the new pages over time. Every once in awhile I'll drop back a few pages and read to remind myself why staying sober is so important.

Ed
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by achanceonu View Post
It was suggested to me to create a "God Box". Write what I am struggling with on a piece of paper and put it in the God Box, walk away and try to forget about it. Trusting that he will take care of it for me. The way he intends it to, not how I intend it to. On his time, not mine. Then you can go back maybe once a month or even sooner, take out the papers, and see how things have changed. I struggle with patience the most, because as a good little alcoholic knows, I want what I want and I want it NOW. I seek instant gratification and never receive it. It seems my gifts come to me when I am least expecting them, and usually when I am stressing over something else.
I LOVE this idea and boy, do I struggle with the lack of control anxiety too! I thank you many times over for this suggestion and I too, am going to try this starting today.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like it too, so thanks! I do keep a journal and like NDN, have found that "big" issues yesterday, are often "small" today.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

God boxes and journaling help a lot of us, I should do one or the other, but I am a procrastinator at heart and I never seem to get one or the other going! LOL I have found that writing anything bugging me down helps greatly, but I never seem to hold on to my writings.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I like this idea.
I think I'll call mine the "Leave it Box"
That is the command I give my dog. Most of the time he steps away with that command. Not tonight! He ate the whole Hershey candy bar including the wrapper. It's not gonna be pretty tomorrow?!

Thank you for the idea. There are lots of things I need to learn to step away from.