Notices

BreakFree's Place - November

Old 11-03-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good Morning! :)

THE MOMMIES WHO DON'T DO ANYTHING!!! Oh my goodness, ananda, I love it! THAT is hilarious! I crack up everytime I say it. I get this vision of sitting at the computer when the kids are yelling..."Moooom, can we PLEEEASE have breakfast?!" (of course, they've been up for a nano second and I've already greeted them with hugs and kisses, right?) My husband just read that...he thinks it's funny!

Hey Bruce! How was the hockey game? I tried to find out from DH if your team won (going from your Avatar and hoping it was the right one), but I was out of luck...he said that you were too far away (up past Seattle and Canada, huh?). He keeps up on all that stuff AND the news each morning so I usually just get all my info from him! LOL

ananda...How was pizza and Dexter? We had pizza for dinner too. I've heard about that show Dexter...is it creepy? The only show I watch is LOST. That can be creepy, but not too bad. I've become a big wimp in older years. I can't even watch the news!

Kathleen...Peace, baby! I did a little research on insomnia this morning because I knew nothing on the subject beyond the fact that it sucks. Another sleepless night for me...

least...Hey there! :) How are you doing? You sound really good! WHOO-HOO! :)

Ed...I love IBC Root Beer! I'm so glad you enjoyed hanging out with us! It was very nice chatting with you yesterday and I hope you'll come back!

colagirl...I can't stand who I was when I drank...I'm so glad we aren't going there again, aren't you? No more feeling bad about ourselves and our actions while out of our mind and for an extra bonus...no more dirty pillows and "cake face"! :) But...this insomnia thing...that's a whole other story...I'm going to work on that this week...

ananda...Good Morning! I have to do the same thing today. I did't get to finish my finances yesterday either! After I finish posting, I'm going to get movin'...

Have a great day everyone! :)
Old 11-03-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

break....yep I watch dexter and lost...my two favorite shows ... other than that i just watch reruns....and i watched davichi code last night and the begining scene was like 20 times grosser than anything on dexter!

Colagirl....at about 1 month sober i was waundering around after meetings going up to strangers going "why did I wait so long to get sober" I was so happy!!!!!!

OK...what is an IBC rootbeer?????
Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Melissa's Monday Journal

FOREWORD
It's me again...I hope you don't mind, but it's very helpful for me to post my goals and steps toward recovery publicly...it helps me to stay accountable. So in addition to all the other good stuff that goes on in the thread, I thought I would post a journal entry each day of where I'm at in my journey. Please feel free to join me if you'd like!

JOURNAL
I LOVE Mondays! A whole new week full of opportunities! I had another sleepless night and so when I awoke this morning, not feeling sharp and clear-minded, I still couldn't figure out what I wanted to work on this week. Last week I gave up "the kahuna" of all bad habits...alcohol...and focused on self-care before bed. Before I checked into SR this morning, I did some quick research on insomnia and as I was doing this, I realized working on getting quality sleep would be the perfect focus for this week. I wasn't overly shocked by some of the suggestions I found, but they are helpful. I will post the links to what I read for those of you who haven't read up on it. So for this week:

BAD HABIT: Cut back on caffeine (I know...please don't throw tomatoes at me...I'm desperate for sleep! LOL)

GOOD HABIT: Establish a healthy "before bed routine" that will promote a good night's sleep.

I need to figure out what "cutting back" will look like for me. I will do that today. I also need to figure out what the new routine will look like. I am going to print off the suggestions I got online for dealing with insomnia and try and incorporate some of those into a realistic before bed routine. REALISTIC is the key...I'd love to take a relaxing bath with baking soda (detoxifying and great for your skin) and lavendar (relaxing and sleep inducing) each night, but let's be real...LOL

Okay...better get moving! Happy Monday everyone!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Helpful Links! :)

Insomnia...(is not our friend...)

Insomnia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Cleaning, Organizing, Simplifying and Decluttering...(oh my!)

FlyLady.net: Your personal online coach to help you gain control of your house and home

The Freecycle Network
Old 11-03-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
good morning!
I'm sober, so i get lots more opportunities to complete the task...don't have to worry about weather or not i'll be sober enough to do it :):ghug
I love this! :)

IBC Rootbeer is just a brand of rootbeer (at least I think it is!)...it's very yummy :)
Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

IBC makes a great black sherry soda as well. I only buy it on special occasions.

Favorite show is Lost. It's a great reason to burn some popcorn and slurp up a root beer float.

My check list:
Stop with the insomnia
Stay sober
Be good to the people around me and be true to myself.

IBC (It's Better Cold )
Ed
Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Ed...Oh yum! Black Cherry sounds good too! We can't wait for LOST to begin...one problem...we shut off our cable to save money. DH says we can watch online...we'll see how it goes. I like your list!

Just finished breakfast so I've run out of excuses to sit at the laptop...guess I REALLY have to go get work done now...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Misson Magnesium...

Oh my goodness...this is terrible. I've tried SO HARD to maintain a positive attitude, but this insomnia is KILLING ME! I've NEVER experienced anything like it. I cannot function like this. My vision is blurry, my head hurts and I can barely think straight. I've been doing research and I think the best place to start is by upping my magnesium intake...I am fascinated by the all of the information I've found while researching this mineral...

Conditions Linked to Deficiencies of Magnesium

The Case for Magnesium : The Miracle of Magnesium

This is something I am going to experiment with because looking at the foods that contain magnesium, I am certainly a candidate for this deficiency. If I am experiencing insomnia due to this deficiency, the drinking was masking my condition by helping me fall asleep at night.

I seriously do not feel well. I am feeling like a total zombie. Perhaps this is part of the withdrawal process? I don't know...but I have to do SOMETHING or I'm going to lose my mind...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

break...i highly recommend a visit to the dr if you can afford it. Magnesium is something they can test for along with potasium and a bunch of other stuff. The lack of proper amounts of these can be very bad...and also I know with potasium, going too high is also a major problem.

As for insomnia...if being sober doesn't fix it...check with the dr. I have had sleep problems on and off my whole life..drinking or sober...and am on medication. Lack of sleep will not "directly" kill you, but can lead to things like crazy thinking, drinking again, depression and suicidal thoughts, inattentive driving and lots of other scarry and dangerous stuff.

So be careful about things when you are not getting enough sleep.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've volunteered to help with getting voters to the polls tomorrow. But for today, I'm just going to take it easy. Walk the dogs and then settle down with a comforting book. One of my favorites is any of the Nancy Drew books! Reading them is like taking a trip back to my childhood! Gotta love that Nancy! Always got the 'bad guy' and did it without foul language or getting her nice 'girly' clothes 'mussed up'!

Later all!:ghug
Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

so.....

pumpkin is a vegitable
crust is bread
walnuts are protein
eggs are protein

Please tell me what i am eating is actually good for me....
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

ananda...Thanks for the advice! I promise to see a doctor if things don't get better in the next week or so...I read that getting the levels right are important...particulary the magnesium/calcium ratio. Why does everything have to be so darn difficult? LOL I never experienced insomnia or any of these kinds of symptoms until the last few days after I stopped drinking. I can't remember what day it was...Day 3 maybe? That darn DAY THREE! I did read that estrogen levels can affect sleep and it is nearing that time. I am going to do as much as I can on my end: sleep routine, diet, exercise, fresh air, stress reduction, etc...and like I said, if it doesn't get better I'll seek professional help...which I really don't want to do :( I have trust issues there...Speaking of potassium, there is an elderly man that walks by our house every day and I've become friends him. He is like 84 and in AMAZING shape! One day he walked by on his way home from the store with a bunch of bananas. He says he eats a banana each night before he goes to bed to help him sleep better. Perhaps I should try that! :) LOL I'm going to work on my bills now...ICK!

least...I used to LOVE Nancy Drew! Are you reading the original books or is there a new series? How cool! :)
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

OOH! I'll be over with my coffee... I want some of THAT (pumpkin pie, of course!) and you know what? Pumpkin and walnuts are high in magnesium! We'll BOTH sleep better tonight...ooooh, the caffeine (guilt washes over face)...
Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Where's colagirl? We need her to come and pick me up in her teleporting mobile! LOL least, are you in? Tell Nancy Drew she can wait 'till later! :)
Old 11-03-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Nancy Drew was my all-time favourite growing up!!!!

Everyone: just got into it with something called the Family Responsibilty Office here in my province, trying to get my child support from my boys' dad. The poopy thing is that I'M the one who has to find out where the dad works, not them, in order to try and garnish his wages. Luckily, I have found it, so hopefully I'll get some of that 14 Grand he owes back. Haha..yeah, right.

Hope everyone has a great day/evening/sleep! See you all tomorrow!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
getting there

Sorry Melissa, I didn't mean to disappear with my teleportation device. I should give you guys a spare key for when I'm not here!

DG, don't you love dealing with government agencies? I'm not Canadian but I have a feeling the American system is not any better. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Melissa's Journal - Day 11

Good Morning! :)

For the past few weeks, I have been lost in the land of internet. My family is suffering and I am full of anxiety and guilt when I look around at all the responsibilities I have neglected. This is not good. I must have balance, but I am not good at that. This is the first place I go when I wake up and the last place you'll find me before I go to bed. And pretty much everywhere in between (on the internet). It would be counterproductive to replace one addiction with another and for that reason, I must go for a while.

Thank you for your support and friendship! I hope that I was able to lend the same to you in my short time here at SR! :) I wish I could stay, but honestly, I find my internet addiction is alot like my alcohol addiction...once I start, I don't want to stop. I feel terrible leaving just when I was forming friendships with so many, but this is something I must do in order to continue with my "life recovery". Please feel free to PM me anytime and know that I am not leaving to drink...

Those of you who have gotten a chance to know me will understand where I am coming from, but if you are reading this post and do not know me, please know that this is a decision that is best for ME and MY circumstances. I care very much how my posts might effect people personally and I do not want this post to hinder anyone from getting the much needed love and support they need. SR is a LIFELINE for many, many people and a very good place to come for recovery and friendship. Several people have life circumstances that support their time on SR...this is not the case for me...my internet addiction (not SR) is putting everything that is important to me at risk.

Peace, love and happiness to you all!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

We love you girl!!!! If you can ever regulate to one hour a day, say, we'd love to hear from you and know how you're doing! Until then, know that we are all supporting you, wishing you the best, and PROUD of you for making responsible choices for yourself. Now shoo!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this thread! I like having more places to stop in to read and post... so thank you again!

HOLLA to all you great people in here... haha.

I read a lot about insomnia in this thread, but I have been the complete opposite. I have been going to bed right after I put my son to bed (8:30) most nights. I wake up rejuvinated... and I don't mind getting the sleep, but I think my husband is starting to get annoyed. He doesn't get home from work until 7. we eat dinner together but after dinner I am getting my son ready for bed... so I think he is feeling like I don't want to hang out or be with him. We haven't talked about it in much detail yet... this is just how I feel about the situation. Any suggestions?

Happy Tuesday all!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

communication is always a good starting point for me, and i find it helps if the goal isn't to "solve" the problem in one setting...just lay out whats going on and that both parties are seeking a solution. Then later, discuss some options....then wait again before making a decision.

I am trying to go to bed earlier so i can get up earlier...kinda the opposit problem of you.....can you spend time together in the morning?