Notices

Letting go

Old 10-31-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting go

Not too long ago, in a village in southeast Asia, a young girl became pregnant out of wedlock by her lover. Not wanting her parents and the parents of her lover to punish the boy, she at first did everything she could to conceal her condition. When it became obvious and she could no longer hide it and her parents confronted her, she said to them "The monk! It was the monk at the top of the hill who did it!"

The families of both children went up to the hill and knocked on the monk's door. They didn't know what they were going to do to him, after all, they couldn't harm a monk even after he had committed such a heinous act. The father of the girl knocked on the door, "Monk! Come out, now!" The monk came out.

"You are supposed to be a holy man and I have found that you have defiled my daughter! You should be ashamed of yourself, you have disgraced your order!"

"Ah, so." the monk replied, and shut the door.

Not knowing what to do, the mob returned to their homes.

Nine months later when the child was born and weened, they returned to the monk. The father spoke tersely to him, "Here, he is your unholy child, you take care of him."

"Ah, so." the monk replied, gently gathered the child and shut the door.

Relieved and somewhat surprised, the mob returned to their homes.

Many years later, the father long since moved on to other lands, the mother of the child lay sick and dying. She could no longer hold her secret in good conscious and confessed all to her family. The next day, she died.

Sullenly, the girl's father walked the long steep road up to the monk's hut with sorrow and guilt in his heart. When he arrived, the Monk was already waiting at the door. The father spoke with a heavy voice, "I am so sorry to have wronged you, what I have done is unforgivable. Whatever I have is yours if you want it."

"Ah, so." the monk replied, and beckoned the now adolescent child to come and meet his grandfather. The monk shut the door and the two never saw him again.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That was beautiful. But why should this story make me cry as if I knew the people in the story? Has it been that bad of a day? Yes it has.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Me too, Least, very tearful today and don't know why. Thanks for the story, V.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"Welcome To The Future..."

same here guys! but it's beautiful and worth remembering! thanks vinny!

Love,

SP
Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Vinter,

I really enjoyed this story. Thanks for posting it.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I heard this one from Ajahn Brahm, I just wrote it in my own words. It clearly demonstrates the power of emotional acceptance, negative, neutral or positive. Loving-kindness, compassion and non-attachment allowed this monk to absorb abuse that would drive most of us over the edge and discharge his responsibility with zero attachment. The end result for this monk is all that matters, the child is with his family, therefore the child is happy, the family is happy and the monk is happy. The monk's lack of any kind of ill-will or scolding to the father also alleviates his remorse. This is how we should all strive to be.