Notices

Sick

Old 10-30-2008, 01:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sick

i thought after I quit drinking I would get HEALTHIER. But no...ever since like two days after I stopped, I have been sick with one ailment or another. First it was a nasty stomach virus, and for the past week or so I have been plagued with bronchitis. It is so painful; I feel like I have a knife lodged in my throat and I can't eat/sleep/or talk to anybody at work. It seems like I didn't get sick as much during the past couple years (with common cold, the flu, etc.) while I was drinking. Do you think after putting down alcohol our body goes through a period of adaptation in which our immune system is weak and we are more vulnerable to infection than usual? Is this all part of the body repairing itself after a long time of abuse?

Any experience or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, many people experience this, especially bronchitis or anything related to breathing or the esophagus. I personally believe it is a part of withdrawal but not often diagnosed as such.

I also believe that when we were drinking we were unaware of our other bodily ills to a degree. After I quit my arthritis got much worse and my Dr. said it had been progressing for a while, but I probably didn't notice it since I was self medicating on alcohol.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
24 hour reprieve

I am going thru this with my husband, he quit a month ago. He ended up going to his doctor and found out that his liver is not functioning properly.
He could not sleep for the first 3 weeks. He was ill, too. If you can, seek medical help. It does get better. He is less jaundiced and his stomach problems are getting better. (he is only 30 yrs old)
Hang it there.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I think you are right about our immune systems and alcohol withdrawal.

I hope you're better soon.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stick it out, stay the course.

Your body desperately seeks more of the poison but your body will get better.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Rainbow ,
Yep, I had the same experience. Everything ached, I was sick a lot more than when I drank.
Drink plenty of fluid, treat the symptoms, rest is very important.

Unfortunately , I have been left with some residual immune system damage, but then I DID abuse my body for 37 years LOL

hang in there , "this too will pass"

HUGX
Leigh
Old 10-30-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do think that I put my body through hell and many of us do that. You are putting your body through a lot as it tries to heal, so be patient and take care of yourself.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone! I am trying to be patient but it SUCKS to be sick. I went to the doctor todayt. She gave me something that will numb my throat because i told her the pain is too excruciating to get anything done.

I just dont understand how bronchitis can be part of alcohol withdrawal?!?? Quit drinking and your lungs get infected...?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I was in the hospital I happened to encounter a friend who was also waiting there who had a drug problem, when he stopped smoking crack, he got pneumonia. Go figure.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You've thrown your body into a tailspin...it's used to getting a certain substance...it's not getting it...everything's out of whack.

It WILL improve, though! You don't have to go through this ever again! Let this be the last time you stop drinking....give your body time to get healthy...I promise you the improvements you will feel will astound you...just give it time.

Oh...and chocolate will also help...ok, maybe not..but treat yourself!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks dancergirl. i just saw an advertisement for thermaflu where the lady in the commercial takes the medication and gets all warm. maybe ill pick myself up some of that stuff and some chocolate m&ms.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just a thought... these might be the actions of an immune system becoming active again. It's possible to have such a depressed immune system that your body is not capable of giving you symptoms like fever and joint pain, and the cilia that move cr@p out of your lungs can be deadened by alcohol- maybe now they are regenerating

Stomach virus could have been withdrawal, though.

Whatever it is, it too shall pass Have you tried gargling with warm salt water?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I never get sick or better yet got sick during my drinking. Now with a simple 4 days under my belt I am feeling everything! I think there is a numbing factor involved while drinking. Think about the mornings after a bender....all you feel is the hangover and nothing else. Being sober is painful but at the same time awesome! I think and hope the pain and illness will subside......good luck and hope you feel better.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Maybe it is just my immune system becoming active again...that would be nice and also kind of scary that it was in hiding behind all those damn hangovers...

ill try to gargle with salt water. sorry i have been complaining like a baby. just curious to find out the biology behind this and if anybody else experienced the same.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I always figured the alcohol killed all the bacteria!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hahahaha i did too!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Beneath the Sun

although my addiction is of a different nature, from my experiance i have learned it often gets worse before it gets better. just stay strong and you WILL get through this. have a good clean holloween.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I consider it my body paying me back for all the damage I did to it! I guess it is a small price to pay for all I did to it. :-)