Notices

Day 1 (again)

Old 10-30-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 (again)

I don’t know how many times I have had to go through the day 1 syndrome; although I can honestly say that all I want to do is quit and will keep trying. Tonight is going to be a rough night, I know I won’t drink but the first night off of the hangover is always rough. Alcohol is destroying me, physically and emotionally, and is creating havoc in our home. I don’t do the AA thing and am too stubborn to go on craving medications. Any suggestions besides raw will power?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can telll you what worked for me, but you have to find what works for you. I was a daily 4 to bedtime wine drinker. I got on SR and got LOADS of support and changed my routine. I, instead of pouring the daily 4 pm drink, went outside played with my son or took a walk with son and our dogs. I would read a book in the evening. I didn't do much reading while drinking and when I did I couldn't remember what I read the next day. Its a lot of work, but it so worth it. Never would have dreamed I would have been sober this long. I'm under 6 months, but remember I drank everyday for many years and so this was totally an alien concept being sober. It can be done and believe me if I can do it anyone can. SR, change routines, and break it down minute by minute if you need to. Don't drink at all costs. Feel the emotions and walk through them. Good luck and welcome to SR!!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am only on day 4 so I can only tell you what is working for me. Everytime I feel the urge I sit down and read my own posting as well as the supportive replies. This seems to help. Plus I wrote a very short "reasons why I am trying to quit" list which I copied and placed around the house. It seems to help as well. Just take it a minute, hour, day at a time and remember what brought you here. Good luck and keep trying.....I know I will be.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

4 days and great advice David. Really glad you joined SR.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!:ghug

I can't count the number of times I tried to quit drinking before I was finally able to find some success. I tried on my own repeatedly. I thought that since I was so strong willed and successful in other areas there was no reason I could not stop drinking if I just applied myself.

What I found was that when I wasn't drinking I couldn't stand being in my own skin. Everything got under my skin. I had no clue how to live life and deal with anything without drinking. I didn't even know how to play without drinking.

What worked for me finally was starting a program of recovery. There are many of them out there other than AA. Personally, AA is the one that works for me but it is not for everyone and there are some great people here at SR that have found sobriety without AA. If you are interested in checking into some of the other programs of recovery there is a link in the alcoholism forum that lists many of them and provides links to them.

I wish you the best. You are definately not alone as each of us here are here because we struggle with this insane disease called alcoholism.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Withoutadoubt,
Welcome!
I can tell you what has been working for me (I don't belong to AA anymore myself) with about 5 weeks sober:

Visit SR a lot- even if you don't post, there is a lot of good info and stories here.

Pick up a copy of the "Recovery by choice" workbook from LifeRing press. 20 bucks plus shipping. Very good workbook.

Read "Under the Influence" and "Beyond the Influence". There are stickies about them at the top. They explain in good detail and simple language about alcoholism. It wasn't until I re-read them (sober) that I finally got a bigger piece of the picture. Up until a few weeks ago, I would fought tooth-n-nail that alcoholism was a choice, not a disease. This is the first time I'm admitting that in this forum. There really are biochemical processes that set us apart from other drinkers.

I really wish you well. Kepp posting (or at least visit!)

Blessings be;
BHJ
Old 10-30-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I, too, had many day 1's.

At first, I clung to SR like a lifeline. Even though I didn't join for a long time, I read a zillion posts and it helped. When I finally logged on and got involved, it was even better.

AA isn't for everyone, but it does help a lot of people. I'm a recovering crack addict and am going on 20 months clean with the support of family, a few close friends and SR.

My only suggestion is to see your doctor. Withdrawal from alcohol can be very serious and it's not a weakness to see your dr.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy