Notices

Finally trying to quit

Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Finally trying to quit

Hello all,

Decided yesterday (last night actually) to stop drinking. I have drinking pretty steady since I was 15 and now at 39 it needs to stop! Not sure why I do it to myself over and over again but I do know it is destroying my life. I have those hours of clarity everyday.....where you sit and think about what you did, what you are doing, how it affects your family, your body. In these moments I swear off drinking and state that it is disgusting and killing me (all to myself of course). Then at some point hours later the cycle repeats itself. Oddly enough if I can go days without drinking (although it is rare that I do).....I can go out to a bar or family function and have nothing or just one! However, soon as I get home I hit it full speed. It is a horrible disease and I will not let it control my life any longer. Hope to be back here in days, months and years from now.....still sober! Only time will tell.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad you are here dave! It can be a tough journey, but in the end is worth the rewards. You might think of posting on the 2 weeks and under thread as well...lots of support from people in those early days there.

And post here as well...heck post everywhere and don't drink if you a$$ falls off

This site has supported me in so many ways and it can do that for you as well.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oddly enough I quit many years ago but it obviously did not take. Just going to take it a day at a time and hope for the best. Makes me laugh that I cannot stand addictions....food, drugs, etc....but yet here I am guilty of the same sin. Thanks to all for replying so quickly and welcoming me to the forum.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It might be a good idea to check with your doctor
before abruptly quitting. Withdrawing from alcohol is
a medical issue. Be both sober and safe

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hoping that there is no medical issues with quitting cold-turkey.....I have taken days off (funny, like drinking was work or something) before and felt fine....actually felt great! If it starts to get to me I will be heading to my doctor immediately. Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ok...that's good thinking..

Please check out the link/line below for information
you may not be aware of

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Yes! you too can recover...
Old 10-28-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR
Old 10-28-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support in recovery.:ghug3

Please do make sure your detox is done safely. The "quitting" link is very helpful information.

Glad you found us!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome David69 - Glad you found this board. Lots of support and encouragement here. Hope to get to know you better. You can do
this. Just take it one day at a time.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, I look forward to reading more from you.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks again all for the support. This is going to be interesting to say the least. Shocking to see so many people who suffer from this. Just as shocking is the overwhelming show of support I have seen in this and other forums.

I appreciate the posts and feedback from everyone....hopefully I will be in a position to return the favor to someone starting out on the recovery road in the "not to distant" future.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi david/

welcome and way to go...

reading just this little bit from you, and reading the responses, has given me more power to lead my self into the light of sobriety.

we can persevere
Old 10-28-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Welcome to the forum.

Your story sounds kinda similar to mine. I wish you the best.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks again to those new posts. Trial one is over....slept a couple hours and feel fine. Tired as hell due to not getting that "scotch sleep" but otherwise still focused. Dealt with this sleep issue before which sucks cause I work nights from home and need my mind well rested.

On a positive note...seems to have struck a cord with the entire family here.....everyone (on their own) has begun either dumping out their stock or calling their spouse to the carpet about their drinking problem. Not because of me so much but mainly they are all realizing how easy it went/or can go out of hand.

I have not dumped my supply out and am holding off on doing so. Given this is the easiest substance to obtain what does it stop me from doing? Nothing....I could run right out and get it. For me the challenge is just saying NO regardless of where I am at or what is available. I did the dump it out thing in the past and it was a monumental failure. Here is to hoping this is a good idea.....only days will tell.

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." General George Patton
Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 2 begins

Day 2 is well underway. Feel fine except for the sleeping problems.....but thanks to my wife for giving me a Xanax to relax me. Normally I would refuse given I hate even taking aspirin....but I had to try and sleep. Well it took awhile but finally worked. The cravings for a drink come and go, not due to physical needs...just plain and simple mental. But the bar is out in the game room and I have not even looked in that direction yet. So all in all I feel pretty good. I know the first few days are not as hard as the first few weeks....so the true test is still to come. Keeping my eyes on the prize though, reclaiming my life, body and mind!!! I hate losing so falling down in not an option!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

David , Welcome to the family of SR , I enjoyed your sharring last nite in the chat meeting , Keep posting and keep commin in .. :ghug3
Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well today is kind of rough. Not that I am needing anything to drink.....just that habitual pull of what I normally do. At least there are no physical side effects but holy crap...the mental portion is something else. Trying to bargain with my other side as to why I should or should not do it. Never felt like such a "weak *******" as i am right now. Worst thing is the sleep problems. Keep wondering if I should have waited until the weekend to start this program! That however immediately makes me think of how weak it would be to jump on that ship! Nope....just gonna stick it out, keep the gloves on and come out swinging in the next round. I commend all those who have managed to pass this point as well as those battling in the same zone as me.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow...almost slipped up! Grabbed a tumbler, put some ice in it and grabbed a bottle of scotch. Stood there for about a minute battling in my mind.....came back and read what I wrote myself, put the scotch away and poured some OJ instead. Whew...this sucks a lot. Was not even thinking about it until I grabbed the bottle....then I realized what I was doing. Putting post-it notes in those places to remind myself why I want to do this.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Another day down

Well one more down......getting easier to forget the ways of old. Keep saying the same thing over and over.....if I can make it 1 day, I can make it 2, then 3, then 4, 5, 6, etc....
Stressful events in life do not help with abstaining but I refuse to let that be my failure excuse. Life's events will happen FOREVER so that is not a reason to slide. Nope, feeling good this time and feeling really positive. Thanks again all......