Notices

Finally trying to quit

Old 11-15-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

Isn't that so true. I have had more than a couple of occasions when people were laughing with me about the previous night and I had to roll with it until I got a vague recollection of what they were talking about. Not fun, at all. How'd you do last night?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

And, for me at least, that part was getting progressively worse. In the end it was beyond embarassment, more like humiliation, and was what convinced me to finally quit.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

bumble: Did fine last night....thanks for asking. Stayed up until 2am watching some "stupid" movie and then crashed for 8 hours!! I never sleep usually more than 4-5.

Freedom: I know where you are coming from....been there and done that. Funny thing is I have watched my friends, family and even my wife do the same thing and you think I would have learned! When they did it I was sober (or sober enough) to realize how idiotic they looked and would stop drinking anything else so I could "babysit" them.

How are either of you holding up???
Old 11-15-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi David, I'm doing well at the moment. Woke up this morning feeling properly fresh. Strange but great feeling. Anyway, meant that I sailed through the day on a real high and felt more relaxed than I had for ages. Seems like good sleep could be one of the greatest gifts of sobriety huh! I certainly hope so because, like you, I'm usually happy to get 4-5 hours. Never feel like I'm fully functioning on that though.

How are you doing?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Freedom...

I am hanging tough. Keeping busy this weekend by working in my office/test lab on my computer systems. In the process of cooking up some coconut shrimp and tri-tip steak right now. Have to keep running out to the grill to flip it. Normally when I use the bbq I would have a beer in my hand....feel somewhat naked standing out there so I am carrying around a glass of ginger ale instead. Fizzy, tasty but still not a beer! It will have to do.....
(however I am not craving a drink....just force of habit to carry one around). Hope you're doing well too.
take care,
(got to run and finish cooking)
Old 11-15-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your dinner sounds great! Also a good way to keep busy, plus carrying around the soda. I support your efforts as supporting the effort of others will make me feel better as well. Like how AA says the best way to stay sober is to go help another alcoholic.

I wish you continuing success - one day at a time.

:ghug3
Old 11-15-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Wow your story sounds like me. I can go to bars, weddings, any function outside the home and not drink. I am a lone drinker. I would say this is it..and boom, as soon as i was feelinga bit better, back to the bottle, viscious cycle. Keep posting, take it one day at a time....p.s. I saw about taking a xanax..well in rehab, the therapist told us that xanax is the worst thing for an addict/alcoholic to take....might see if a doctor can prescribe you something else......xanax is addictive..and will lead back to alcohol..just an fyi....good luck...keep us posted.....I am 12 day sober and counting
Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thanks Least! Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks to you as well Pam! Yeah, I was always a "home" drinker.....with the rare public showing of stupidity. Not anymore.....at least for now.
As far as the Xanax goes...I hate pills! I only took it twice during the initial quitting phase. That was weeks ago...but I agree with what you are saying. Same thing I told my wife when she wanted me to go to the doctor....I told her I would not replace one addiction with another. Good thing is I even hate taking aspirin so I am fairly safe at not becoming a pill junkie. But your point was correct....I heard they were addictive as well....so I was not wanting to take them but the 2 I took did help with sleep. Anyway, thanks again all and congrats on your continued journey!
Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi David,

I'm glad to see you doing so well.

I think many of us were "home drinkers;" that's certainly how I ended up. Not so in my earlier, outwardly defiant years, but that can only last so long. It doesn't age very gracefully.

Oh, yes, it is good to be sober, and sane.

I swear I could almost smell the food sizzling on the grill earlier.

Good thoughts to you and yours.

Donna
Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Yeah I did the same Donna. My initial partnership with booze was made in the public eye. Going out with the rest of the soldiers stationed on base was a normal ritual every night. That routine turned into a normal procedure which then in turn progressed to more and more private drinking. Have to say that is when the real damage started....no fear of making an ass out of yourself at home (at least not too much). Anyway....got a movie to watch.....will be checking in later. (food was great btw...even if I am patting myself on the back a little)
Old 11-16-2008, 01:24 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Ok...I am on a frenzy of recovery tonight.......replying to everyone. This must be one of those moments where you just feel too damn good to stop. I should be in bed sleeping but it is so quite here (since everyone else is out) that I am having a moment of clarity.....so I am replying a lot. I need to go to bed now......tired and feeling a little punchy.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi,
Im trying to figure out all this blog/forum stuff, obviously not computer savvy. I would like to thank everyone for your honesty and please know you are helping me and others by letting us know we are not alone. This is especially important for someone new to having the desire for a happy sober life but has never led one.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hello,
Is there anybody out there?
{pink floyd sometime in the 80's}
b
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi Scarecrow,

Yes, there are many of us here. Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of support, it's just that your post is a little buried in a thread started by someone else.

Why don't you start a new thread, I think by clicking up on the top, and give a little shout out so that people can respond to you? I'm a computer putz, too.

Pink Floyd, oh yeah.

Hugs,

Donna
Old 11-16-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Sounds like your doing pretty good david. keep posting...
welcome to SR scarecrow, glad you are here, there are alot of support here so keep coming back
Old 11-17-2008, 03:57 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Surviving is how I will put it for now.....just surviving. Cannot forget that right on the fence sits this portion of my mind (however in the dark it is now) that likes scotch despite the results of drinking it. So I am confident of beating this but not foolish enough to think I have already won. I will be here beating the brush for a long time unless I have a relapse and have to go hide in shame!! (just kidding...I would not hide) Thanks for the post Pam! How are you doing?

Thank you too Scarecrow for the post......welcome to SR!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Morning, I am doing pretty good here, trying to keep daily stresses where they belong, outside, I am 14 days sober today since relapsing, I am working for 30 days, be longest ever in 13 years or so...wohoo ...I believe i am gonna do it...I am doing everything I am told I need to do, this forum is great, and saving my butt along with AA, keep posting. good to read the daily stuff..we can connect .
Old 11-17-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi Pam.....14 days is fantastic! Only a little bit more to hit 30 days......and I know you can do it. I am getting close to my 30 days as well......and without this forum and all the support I would be back to day 1.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

David, Saturday night's food sounds pretty awesome. Sorry I missed it! I've decided that for the first few weeks of sobriety I can eat what the hell I like and I'm enjoying it alot! I'm of the opinion that an addiction to chocolate and chicken tikka massala might still be an addiction but so what...at least for a few weeks!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey there Freedom.....yes the food was great! You should eat whatever you like.....got to treat yourself to something nice when you're denying yourself other things!

I never deny myself good food......I grew up in a feast to famine type home so when I made it in life I swore I would never deny myself things......especially food. Never to the point of over-eating or gluttony.....just like good food. Speaking of which...I think I will take my wife out for some kobe beef this weekend. They have a place here where they bring you a smoking hot rock and you cook the beef yourself at your table....stuff is awesome! Anyway...now I am getting hungry.