Notices

Finally trying to quit

Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

YES!!! Day 7 begins. Looks like I made it through the weekend! Got the rest of the day to go but that honestly does not matter......that will be a walk in the park. I will be way to wrapped up with football today to even notice anything. Hell, the house could probably burn down around me and as long as the plasma stayed on I would not even notice! LOL...Cannot believe that I have not had a drink for 7 days. Just so used to doing it and now I really don't think about it. Slept great last night without anything to assist me....no tea, no Tylenol PM, no Melatonin....nothing! Woke up once or twice but was able to go right back to sleep. Crazy! Anyway, hope you all have a sober and great rest of the weekend.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi David,
Just gone through your posts. Your situation sounds alot like mine. I too could go long periods without destructive drinking and then, bang, I'd go nuts and knock another big chunk out of my health and important relationships.

This is my second day without a drink. It follows my latest embarassing binge on Friday night. I'm 38 next week and I'm not going to be beaten by this. I hope you can keep going there. You've done well to make it through the first week.

Sorry to hear about the lack of support from your wife. I also have that problem. But I also have your resolve to get through this whether she is there for me or not. I'm sure you'll do it too.

Take it easy and keep going one day at a time.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I've since confronted my wife to get her take on this whole past week. She is being "supportive" I guess in her own way. She said she just did not want to say anything until it appeared I might be serious. I also asked her if she thought SR was a easy way out.....she said not any longer. "something is better than nothing and if it is working for you". Well, truth is SR is working for me! I like the freedom of talking when I want to or need to....not having to wait for a meeting....or read some chapter in a book. Wish I could have found this years ago during one of my other attempts to quit.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

8 days down!!! Things are going great and it honestly appears that I have this monkey under control. No urges...no thoughts about it other than when I come on here and post something (and those thoughts are just how much I hate it). Made it through the weekend without any trouble.....wife even had a drink in front of me (some frilly Parrot Bay thing we had in the fridge). She asked of course first if it would bother me and I immediately found myself saying NO....and it really did not bother me at all. She was going to dump those 6 bottles out when I started my wagon ride....I told her not to. So, having passed my first "real" test I am feeling pretty damn good!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Be weary of the thoughts that come into your head which you think are your own but are really just the demands of the "booze brain" trying to trick you into giving it what it wants. You have a lot to be proud of but also a lot to watch out for. Congratulations. Keep it going.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

So glad to hear you got through the weekend Dave!
Thanks for posting how you are doing. It helps me too.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

8 days is great. Glad to hear you sounding so strong. It inspires me in my own fight.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks for the comments all! Makes it better for me to hear it is inspiring other people (it inspires me too).
Old 11-04-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

hey david ..... how are you??

I've read through your posts and am encouraged to hear your story as it unfolded on this thread....

it's pretty cool seeing you suceed through your difficulties. Like the answers are within you.

i'm staying clean myself, day 22 i think, and your sharing with the responses is truly inspiritational for me
Old 11-04-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hello K,
I am actually doing great! Thanks for asking. It has been an interesting experience so far but a good one. Glad you have made it 22 (plus) days. Even better you are unsure of how many....that shows that your focus is on you and not on counting. Impressive!

I am taking this whole thing serious but also with a sense of humor.....makes it easier to adjust and adapt. I really expected this to be a LOT harder but yet this time it is coming along much easier than I could have ever hoped for. Not that I am not aware of the potential to trip....but I just don't see it in the cards. I figure it must be due to the simple fact I am doing it for myself this time and not everyone else. Either way....this rocks! I also have to give major props to this forum, all you members who post their stories as well as respond to mine. I am excited to get to day 22 (yes, I am counting still....I will probably stop at some point). Thanks again for you positive feedback!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David69 View Post
this time it is coming along much easier than I could have ever hoped for. Not that I am not aware of the potential to trip....but I just don't see it in the cards. I figure it must be due to the simple fact I am doing it for myself this time and not everyone else.
I really relate to this a lot. I too feel that this time it's been "a tad bit easier" for me. I think too because I decided to do this for me, and not because someone asked me to slow down, like in my past.

I really love this place... I know I probably say it on everything I probably post... haha... but I truly feel that if I didn't have this website to come to, I would be having a much more difficult time. So thank you David, thank you SR for being my daily support. I greatly appreciate everyone!

Toodles for now...
Old 11-04-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm convinced that SR is definitely making it easier for me too. Something about it really works for me and it's great to see that it seems to be the case for others too.

Stay strong all.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I must be better! Even with the loss of McCain I still managed to not drink!!! As depressing as that was for me I took it in stride. (yeah I know that some of you were probably celebrating his loss) Anyway, that should have been a destructive time for me but what can you do. Figured out months ago that my party would most likely lose this term.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Been following quite a bit on TC over here. Whatever you might think about his politics I thought McCain did losing really well. Very gracious.

Anyway, glad it didn't tip you over. And for you at least, another day, another victory...and the say that winning can become habit.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Day 11 sailing by!!! Still feeling strong and determined as I was on day 1. Making life adjustments continues....just trying to return to some old hobbies again to keep me occupied (some much newly found free time). Got to find another classic car to restore....good times! Plus my son is probably old enough to start learning this stuff. Have not done one for several years but have been looking steady for the past week. Hopefully I will find the right car to restore....something that will keep me busy at least a year! Anyway, enough yapping....thanks once again all for the continued support and postings. YES.......almost 2 weeks!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good one David - Glad to see you moving right along. Rebuilding a classic car with your son sounds like an awesome goal.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

It will be fun if he is interested. I am sure he will be.....when I was building all the carnival games for a party they had last year he was "bugging" the crap out of me to help. Same thing when I was building our game rorom...the kid (actually my daughter was there as well) was under my feet at every turn. Guess I should consider myself lucky. I am sure some day they will both hit that age where they do not want to be around their parents at all!! Anyway, hopefully find something soon...before Xmas (guess that will be my gift to myself) so I can get it in the shop and start plugging away.

Thanks for the comments once again.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hello all......been busy this weekend so did not get time to write. Was moving my home office to another room....took a lot longer than I expected. Had to move phone lines, network lines, wireless, furniture, etc.... Mostly done now, one bad thing is I cannot find about half of my military and education awards! That is enough to put me in a bad mood but what can I do? I have torn most my house and one of my garages apart....still cannot find them. Oh well, I am sure they will turn up at some point. Unless they got pitched by mistake....(heads will roll) . Btw....DAY 14!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Ok..well the magic update.........I guess I am splitting with my wife. I will be moving out in early DEC for some unknown amount of time......perhaps for good. She said she is going through her own issues..(I will not go into detail) but just know that I am not happy about this. She has been talking to some guy from her LONG past but lied about it the whole time when I asked (told me I was crazy). I am just pissed, not jealous (not me...never jealous always think you should be who with you like)>

She say nothing is going on but regardless I do not care (after hours of phone calls). Now with her separation request I think something is not being told to me! Not sure why we are splitting?......my six figure income....she has to do nothing other than occasionally manage the home.....which I do as well. No big deal, just surprised. She has whatever she needs at her fingertips.......wtf? (please let me know ladies if I am missing something). I have been told this was some dream.....(no work, just manage the home, very attractive husband (no kidding!!!), smart, successful, and you have no need to work.) Damn, I would turn gay just for that!!! Guess I am confused as to why now? I am clean and clear..... but things are mucked up? Well whatever, she has stated she wants a "break" but no sex during this time. Hmmm? Honestly, I am a very attractive dude and have been hit on our entire 11 yr marriage (beyond that as well) but have never thought of straying.......now I wonder???? Do I sit here for weeks, months....and wait? Am I wrong for searching and touching base elswhere? I am confused and totally disabled right now!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

David,

I'm so sorry. I don't know the particulars, or anything about your relationship with your wife, but having this happen is shocking and emotionally devastating. Even more so this early in your sobriety.

Please find some support for yourself, face-to-face support. One step at a time. Drinking will not make it better, or improve the situation in any way. A clear head is paramount.

If you can, or want to, keep posting.

You are in my thoughts,

Donna