Notices

Helping a friend - advice needed...!!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Helping a friend - advice needed...!!

So, I am in early recovery (27 days )!!

Anyway, I become friends with a girl I met at one of my first meetings who is also in very early stages of recovery.

She is going away for a city break with some friends for her birthday and is worried about it as a few of them are her drinking friends. A couple of them know she has stopped but she is worried about the whole thing and how she will stay sober.

I've offered to be on the end of the phone whenever she needs me but I just wondered if you have any advice for me on what I say to her as support if she's feeling tempted to drink and calls me.

I know the ideal solution would be for her not to go, but that is not an option so any words of wisdom for me to help her through it??

M x
Old 10-27-2008, 11:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

if she's feeling tempted to drink and calls me.
You will know what to say if you answer the phone with the spirit you had when you wrote this post.

you know you can't walk her recovery path AND you know that you do have support and kindness that you can give her.

If she calls you can offer to pick her up and take her to a meeting, or just be supportive on the phone if that's enough