Notices

Pay It Forward - Today!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pay It Forward - Today!!!

I am so tired of rude, mean, incompetent, rushed, arrogant, thoughtless, selfless people that I decided to do something about it.

I don't know if you remember the movie "Pay It Forward" back in 2000 (his mother was an alcoholic), but I decided I would just do one very conscious deed a day to make the life of someone else better. It doesn't have to be much. Write a note to your grandma, stop by and visit an elderly neighbor, play kick ball with a kid who needs someone, help someone across the street, buy a homeless person a cheeseburger...I kept driving by the same homeless guy needing a meal and kept saying, "I should go get him something to eat, but there was too much traffic, had to turn around, out of time, etc......It is the smallest thing that helps someone else and I so believe in pay it forward and I also believe it helps us in our recovery.

I challenge each and every one of you to do something for someone else no matter how minor and let us know! Its a great feeling...

Me first...I turned around tonite and bought the homeless guy a cheeseburger and chocolate milkshake...you shoulda' saw his face!

You're next.....
Old 10-23-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Eclipse, that is AWESOME!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't remember the movie but....
I do remember a social movement called
"Random Acts of Kindness"

Today my RAK was helping a disabled woman
with her packages as we were riding the bus.

Thanks for reminding me Eclipse....
I am pleased to join you on this pleasant plan.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How true,

"you gotta like people, that's all we have around here" Lee Iacocca

I try to keep that quote in mind at home, in business and on the streets

Ed
Old 10-24-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cool thread Eclipse - THANKS!

Yesterday, I went to my sons' school at recess time and played jump rope with a little girl who is adjusting to not having her mom in her life anymore. She has been a very sad, lonely little girl for a while now since her mom left. Being able to share some time and some mama-love with a little girl who sorely needed it did as much (if not more) for me as it did for her.

Like Carol, I love the idea of joining you in making an effort to do something every day.

Thanks again for the thread!

Jomey
Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol, Ed and Jomey,

It really does make a person feel more worthwhile. My neighbor down the street is going through a divorce and is having a really hard time. She has a stressful job and is now becoming a single mom, so I told her to bring her kids over in the morning 3 days a week and I will get them on the bus so she can get to work earlier. One of their kids is good friends with my son, so it gives them some time together and I can give them some extra time while they are going through a hard time not having their dad around...who is a total jerk by the way.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A neighbor girl my daughters age has been depressed lately and wanted to talk to me. I let her know that the school couselor is always a helpful resourse as well as her own mother. She finally agreed on speaking to her own mother as well. Her mother was appreciative that I talked with her. I also let the girl know that I am always available to listen.

Great Thread Eclipse
Old 10-24-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First of all I have to admit that I'm not completely sober yet, but I'm trying. This thread hit me at just the right time. All day today I've been thinking about doing some type of volunteer work. I was thinking about contacting nursing homes in the area & doing something as simple as making cards for them, since all the holidays are coming up. I have 2 young boys who live next door to me & I was thinking about asking them to pitch in & help. I just started a job as a cashier a couple weeks ago, & I agree about all the rude, inconsiderate people out there. I make $7.00/hr & get treated like s***. In the time that I've worked there, NO ONE introduced themselves to me, & I'm talking about other employees & managers as well. I've had managers who are 10 years younger than me just walk past me with arrogance in their step. I've watched other cashiers treat the customers rudely & with disrespect. I can't even believe it. I have a college degree, & the only reason I took the job is because my husband's career has brought us to a very small town where jobs are hard to come by. I'm thinking I should just quit & start volunteering instead. Why should I stay with an organization who doesn't care about their employees or customers when I'm barely making any money?? Anyone have any other ideas about how to make a difference in the community??
Old 10-24-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's a rainy chill day ...
our unlocked PO boxes are at the end of my street.

Sooo...I played mail carrier for my neighbors
who had not yet splashed thru the puddles.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Birdie - I volunteer at a homeless shelter and a food pantry...with tough economic times hitting us and winter setting on in a lot of the country, the shelter and the pantry are needier than ever for support....you can donate time, food, blankets,clothes, gift cards for groceries stores and gas stations, holiday gifts for children, many food pantries also try to help out with other bills, maintaining emergency funds that the director can use to pay heating bills, etc. The pantry I volunteer at also tries to find people to donate cards to put in the supply bags at holidays, as you suggested, homemade cards are always treasured. Also, we are always SUPER grateful if someone does a collection and brings it to us....most in demand items? Diapers, wipes, personal size bath and body products, canned meat.

If your community is too small or possibly too blessed to need a shelter or pantry, check with the churches. The pastors almost always know of a family in need.

Maybe you could get to know your new neighbors by organizing a collection? That would kill alot of birds with one stone!

Oh...LOL...that's my good deed for the day....stocking shelves at the pantry for the weekend opening tomorrow morning!

Jomey
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I guess many of us do pay it forward in and out of the rooms its called service, giving away what we have in order to keep it, simply put selfless.

Kevin
Old 10-24-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I actually rented the movie, Pay It Forward tonite (I love Helen Hunt). I am going to get in bed with my tea and hopefully I can stay awake through the whole movie....I'm known to fall asleep...usually drunk, but not tonite!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

(Loved the movie, but oh, that ending!) Eclipse, thanks for this. I always tried to live my life with kindness and empathy, but I'm a little isolated right now, no people around me much. I think we can counteract all the bad stuff if we try hard. Remember this poem?

If I can stop one heart from breaking
I shall not live in vain
If I can ease one life the aching
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Into his nest again,
I shall not live in vain

E. Dickinson
Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh, I forgot about the ending....it was sad!

Beautiful day out today!! I am cleaning out the hall closet full of coats (I have 4 kids) and giving them away to "Coats for Kids".
Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I went through my closet about a month ago. Alot of brand new clothes and shoes I never wore.
I took them to Salvation Army.
But I saw how they just pile the stuff and leave it in the rain. Then I thought they just turn around and sell it in their stores.
I am glad people that cant afford full price will be able to get them.
But I kinda wish I would have taken the stuff to a place that just gives them to people in need.
Is that bad?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No, its not bad at all! I think its great that you did that...they sell the stuff for good prices so I am sure some people were very happy!
Old 10-25-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good thread

Yesterday my sister gave me a hug because I offered to give her gas money to go out of state to see my brother that was in an accident. She did not take it but was touched that I offered.

And I buy cat food for my neighbor. He has at least 20 cats. He might not appreat it but I know the cats do. He thinks mice is there supper.

Once I give a homeless man $10 and it was like I give him $100.

But I will make a point to help someone when I see they need it. It is better to give than recieve.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A couple of my managers, at work, and I fed a homeless woman, her 2-year-old and her mom for a week. We let them stay in the restaurant all night so they wouldn't be on the street. We would play with Max (the 2-year-old) and let mom and g'ma sleep. One of my mgr's bought max little toy guns that had flashing lights and made noise...we had a blast playing with him. All of the employees in the store took turns playing with Max.

I just found a website, yesterday, that a 10-year-old started. Every time you go to it, and play a little trivia game, whether you get the answer right or wrong, food is donated to shelters for dogs (on one site) and cats (on another). The response has been tremendous and many shelters are being helped. So, I go to the site every day now, and get to help a hungry little furbaby get food.

This is a GREAT thread!!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-25-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Thanks for this thread!

I learned this awhile back, but what I do is between myself and my HP for

personal reasons. But, the joy of giving back..doing something for others

withought thought of the cost ...I would not miss for the world.

And, we do not know here on earth the eternal consequences of our

kindness.

Hugs
Old 10-25-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I have a pay it forward that came my way while I was out relapsing.
I had no gas and this guy outside the grocery store offered to put gas in my car. He put $10 in and didnt want any payment later. I asked if I could send it to him later on. And he said no. It was fine.
I got home on that $10. Other wise I would have been stuck in that city longer than I was.