Notices

Update on Cam

Old 10-22-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on Cam

Many of you know that my son Cam was recently diagnosed with Juvinile Rheumatoid Arthritis.

He was put on prednisone and it seems to be working well for him, he is even back to participating in P.E.
If he over does it though, he ends up in quite a bit of pain.

Cam was going to be hunting this weekend with his stepdad, and two of his brothers. He decided yesterday that he was not going to go because he knows if he pushes himself for 4 days hiking around in a corn field, that he will probably end up missing a lot of school because he will be worn out.

I love that he has his priorities in line, and is putting school first. On the other hand he just turned 16 and I want him to have his youth - free from worrying about his health. He is such a good kid, has never been in any trouble and gets good grades. It is just heartbreaking to know that he is staying home from the hunting trip that he enjoys so much each year.

I felt compelled to share this with you all and perhaps get some feedback.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rheumatoid Arthritis has been the Demon within my family for generations so you have my healtfelt sympathy.

To see your son suffering at such a young age must be devistating for you. Only thing I do know is that research and developments in treatment are coming along well so perhaps the future may not be quite so bleak.

My Dad recently died of this condition but hopefully breakthoughs in treatment will come along soon to help your son live a more active life.

God bless
Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Wow, now that is one amazing young man you've got there!

I'm willing to bet he'll learn plenty of "life lessons" from his parents, Mom especially. And in spite of the hurdles he has to overcome, he sounds energetic enough to make the most of life with what he's given.

It seems to me that children are incredibly strong-willed and resilient as always. If there's something that they really want to do, they'll find the will and a way.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

timzup - I am sorry that your family has had this illness inpacting all of your lives. I too have autoimmune illness, and sometimes feel guilty for passing that on to him.

Astro - Yes Cameron has had to learn so many of lifes lessons and he is strong because of it. Thanks for your kind words.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Suzette)))

I am so glad that Cam is doing better and realizing his limitations. I know you feel bad that he is missing out on some fun stuff, but it sounds like Cam is dealing with it. Hopefully he will continue to improve and can do more fun stuff as time goes on.

I think he's an awesome young man, but it doesn't surprise me...he has an awesome mom.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes Impurrfect - Cam is realizing that he has limits.

He and I will make the best of it by having some bonding time. My daughter is going with her friend to her families cabin, so Cam and I will be able to spend some quality time together. Action packed movies, converstion ( yes he still likes to share with mom). I look forward to the time wi will be able to share.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
timzup - I am sorry that your family has had this illness inpacting all of your lives. I too have autoimmune illness, and sometimes feel guilty for passing that on to him.
Toomutch, I know it's easy for me to say 'don't feel guilty' but it wasn't something you chose, was it? If these things are in the family and our genes then what are we supposed to do? Stop regeneration?

You've been dealt a pretty crappy hand here but besides, I care to bet there are also some wonderful characteristics handed down from you also, either genetically or nurtured.

Hang in there and thanks for having the courage to share this.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

timzup, I know you said that Rheumatoid arthritis runs in your family, May I ask? Do you have it?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

timzup, I know you said that Rheumatoid arthritis runs in your family, May I ask? Do you have it?
That's a total blank for me I'm afraid. I was adopted by my folks. No way of locating my blood parents (or inclination to do so)

You'd have to ask the stork who dropped me in the cabbage patch!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do you have that storks phone #?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you have that storks phone #?
Yes, I do but have you ever seen a stork answer the phone in mid-flight?..... it's not good.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Thanks for the update on your son. I am sorry he cannot go hunting w/ his dad, but I am glad that he is mature enough to pace himself. That shows self control and not living "just for the moment" prayers being said for him for complete relief and healing.

blessings, Sheila
Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, and I would not want the stork to drop it's cargo...
Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sheila - Thank you for your prayers. I know all the prayers being sent up for Cam will eventually heal him.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Suzette -Thanks for sharing the update on Cam. I'm sorry, too, that he has to miss the hunting trip, but it may be that, just for this year, while God is shutting that door, He might be opening a window of opportunity for you and Cam to spend some real special time together. I know you guys are really close, but who knows why God is giving you this time together to talk and share. (Do you know what an amazing mom you are to an amazing kid? A teenage boy that stills hangs out and shares with mom? That is a miracle right there!) Try to take the positive out of the situation and enjoy it as much as you can. (I don't know if I could do it if I was in your shoes, but it sure sounds like wise advice, doesn't it? )

Love, Jomey
Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jomey - I do find the positive alot of the time. During the times I'm stuck in the negative, things are really tough.
Thank you for your kind words - you are one of the sweetest people I know.

Love,
Suzette
Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
believer

Cam is a huge inspiration for anyone, congrats to you for raising such a great kid
Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know Cam is feeling better....
he certainly knows what is best for him.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Thanks for the update toomuch. I'm sorry he'll miss the hunting trip. But, choosing NOT to miss school is so admirable. It's devastating that he has to live with this for sure but he's making good choices already managing himself & his illness. He sounds like a wonderful boy and I wish him some peace and pain free days. Hugs for you both .
Old 10-22-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Suzette, You are right...you are sooo positive, it's kinda a Pollyanna remark to say "take the positive out of it"! (esp. when I am pretty dang sure I wouldn't be able to do that myself!) So, instead of more "good ship Lollipop" advice, here's just a big ole hug for you!

love Jomey