Notices

Newbie looking for advice

Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie looking for advice

Hey All

I am a 21 year old new comer from Canada..I have been drinking since I was 15 years old and moved out on my own..being a naive kid thinking I know everything about the world..I have had an excellent job which allows me to work from home and earn a very healthy lifestyle which I think is also attributing to my problem. The lifestyle I started at a young age is catching up to me and after my latest 3 day no sleep drinking binge I think I am finally ready to stop.

In the past I have tried to stop only to last a few days..I found a local AA meeting only to drive to it and not go inside...mainly due to being nervous.

The group of people I hang out with are definitely not the best group to hang out with if you are one who doesn't want to drink...i've been to more then one of my friends funerals and each time I thought this would help me quit and make me finally realize that this isn't the best decision but each time I end up with the same problem..

Any advice for a stubborn young man? I am hoping to get enough courage to attend the meeting this Thursday.

Glad to of found these forums, there seems to be a lot of good advice here.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! I remember being nervous when I went to my first meeting. I understand how you feel. I think it would be good idea to attend a meeting...when you are ready. Do you know the meeting schedule--such as what kind of meeting it will be on Thursday....such as speaker meeting or discussion meeting? Speaker meeting is where one individual tells their story whereas discussion meetings are where multiple members can share openly about their experiences. (As far as meetings go--you are never required to say anything in meetings. You can share if you choose to.)
In the meantime, you are definitely not alone. Hang around here--keep posting.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't been to an AA meeting in 9 years and have been alcohol free for 10, but am now looking at going to NA meetings due to a pain killer problem. My body became addicted to pain pills due to an injury I had, but now I get to deal with the withdrawls of 8 years of treatment. I have been through the addiction programs before and am nervous as well, but life is about choices and you have the same choices as I am facing....go to a meeting, sit in a chair at the back of the room and listen or go out with friends and crack a bottle....ultimately it is what you are ready for. You are on this forum, which says you are ready for sobriety...take the next step and then let us know how it went.

Take Care and you will be fine.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

I was fortunate ... in early sobriety, I found an AA meeting
that was mainly other single people.
It was a great way to meet new friends who shared
the same problem and were learning how to live sober.

We did many things outside meetings and had a blast.

Yes! you too can win over alcohol
Please keep posting...we do understand
Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Adam,

Being here, reading and posting, is a good first step. And admitting you have a problem and want to quit is essential.

I found that after I really got it through my lousy head that I could not drink like other people and that I could not control my drinking, it was only one small step to admitting that I needed help. That I couldn't do it on my own. I had tried and failed many times.

I know there are people who do succeed at sobriety without treatment programs or 12-step meetings. But I wasn't one of those.

Once you know you need the support of meetings or programs, you just have to bite the bullet and be brave about it. I used a lot of self-talk to get myself in the doors. I'm very introverted and have a lot of social anxiety. Panic attacks, etc. But I told myself, over and over, you have to do this, you have to do this.

For me, it was a matter of life and death, literally. I stood to gain everything or lose everything. It was my choice and I knew it.

I hope you can talk yourself through what you need to do. There are no magic pills. That's where we went wrong the first time - thinking we could feel better with drugs or alcohol and that would take care of all that ailed us.

I'm glad you're here at SR. And I hope you find your path in sobriety.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Adam, one thing to keep in mind is that every single person in that meeting knows how you feel right now, they all had thier first meeting! I barely remember my first meeting, I was drunk as a skunk!!! One of the few things I do remember was the people were friendly and they made me feel welcome even though I was obviously drunk.

It was another 5 years before I went to another meeting and that was when I was in detox. Nothing had changed, the people were still friendly and made me feel welcome, the difference was I was not drunk!

A couple of ways to handle that first meeting, one is to go early when there is hardly any one there and ask the person setting up the meeting if they need help. Instant friend!!!

The second way is to show up just before it starts and walk in, grab a cup of coffee and take a seat, any seat, sit down and listen. When listening listen for things you can relate to and not for differences. Every alcoholic is unique in one way or the other, but we all have similarities we can all relate to.

The 3rd way is to call your local AA hotline and see if someone will take you to a meeting or meet you at a meeting.

As already said, you do not have to do a thing, if you do not want to say anything and you are asked to share just say "No thanks, I am just listening.", if you do not wish to pray, don't! There are no rules in AA, the only requirement is a desire to quit drinking, that is it.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome adam!
And ditto what Taz said!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow Taz! Sounds like you've been to a few of those meetings.

Hey Adam, it's not like going to a business meeting or a new high school.

Ed
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome Adam! Taz is a very wise one here at SR! Keep posting and take us along
on your journey...you are not alone! Glad that you found us-
Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, it is very comforting to be welcomed like this