Notices

My heartfelt thanks to this forum

Old 10-19-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My heartfelt thanks to this forum

Hi all,
I would just like to give my heartfelt thanks to this forum, let me explain, on thursday night after a ten day bender I finally decided enough was enough with the booze, I thought for the last year I was able to control it but then i relapsed, so friday morning I awoke with the most terrible shakes ever and i had to work, I pulled this off by making sure if a cup of tea was handed to me I would ask them to put it down rather than pass it to me as i knew it would go flying, so friday night I made myself eat and then felt a bit better apart from the shakes, this I thought I could overcome on my own, but today i was trying to cut a wire and my hands shook so unbeleivably that I nearly cried, and then I found this forum, and after listening to your stories i made myself go to a&e, i was administered with lithium straight away and bloods where taken, then I was put in a ward to be monitored, that was twelve hours ago and they did an ecg on me and that seemed fine, the doctor allowed me to go home with a dose for this morning and i have an appointment with the detox nurse tomorrow afternoon. thanks for all your advice i feel a little calmer about the situation now and i know I will be here more often as the weeks go by.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That was a brave beginning.
It will only get better. I promise.

Stay close and keep posting. SR is here to help.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow! you did the safest thing and that's a great beginning.
Congratulations and Welcome to our recovery community
Old 10-19-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks, eyes, and sorry for my grammar, it is usually much better.
I think it may be the Lithium.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Kinpaul and God bless ya! I am so glad you came here and you took action. Can't wait to read more from you. :ghug3
Old 10-19-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have to admit it was scary, but I am so glad i did it, and i know this is very early days but i have never had the tremors before when I detoxed, so this knocked me for six.
To be honest with you guys i was so suprised with myself in how quickly I made the decision to go after spending only half an hour reading other members post concerning the dangers of going cold turkey.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Kinpaul, to the SR family, glad you joined us
Old 10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

kinpaul90,
SR has saved me as well. I'm so glad you found us. Keep reading and, more importantly, writing. I am so proud of you for catching yourself from falling. I believe we only have so many chances at that. Welcome! So glad to have you on board.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

:ghug3
Welcome! We are glad you are here.
Lots of information and support available to you.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinpaul90 View Post
I have to admit it was scary, but I am so glad i did it, and i know this is very early days but i have never had the tremors before when I detoxed, so this knocked me for six.
To be honest with you guys i was so suprised with myself in how quickly I made the decision to go after spending only half an hour reading other members post concerning the dangers of going cold turkey.
You were absolutely right to be concerned and I am glad you took that road instead of gambling on it. Some go cold turkey and its really scary! Again, glad you are here and I am off to bed. Good night and sleep well tonight.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There was a bit of humour to the trip tonight though, while I was waiting in a three bed ward a guy about my age (36) came in and could hardly walk, he was in agony.
And the doc came to see him and did a surgical procedure on him (you know the thing) so as Ii am waiting to get my appointment details he come out and looks at me with the biggest grin ever.... tottally relived
Old 10-19-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Trying eating chocolate it really helps with the shakes and it also replaces the sugar that you are losing.... Alcohol has a lot of sugar.....Glad to hear that you got help and admitted that you needed help...it's hard but you can do it we all believe in you and will be praying for you
Old 10-19-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi KinPaul,
Way to go!!!! I admire your quick decision in getting detox help. SR is a great place and has helped me tremendously. Glad your here!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and good information, as you found out! We're glad you're here. Stick around and travel the sober road with friends, it's easier and more fun than doing it alone.

:ghug3
Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add what I did last night on the ward for a bit of insurance, I got my cameraphone out and took a snap of the drip coming out of my arm, if I get the urge to drink again that little beauties coming out.

The funny thing was that as I was doing this the nurse walked into the ward gave me an odd look and walked back out again!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Way to go kinpaul, keep up the good work.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This forum has helped me alot too. I don't know where I'd be without it.