Notices

So Many Birthdays!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
6/20/08

So Many Birthdays!

Please tell us how and why you got sober.

Even if it's not your birthday please share. It's kind of a nice way to get to know people, too. Besides that, these kinds of threads are always uplifting.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Okay, after 30 years of drinking, I had stomach issues that scared me enough to make me stop (thank God). There were other things, like being sick and tired of being sick and tired. But the health scare finally shook me up enough to quit.

Have quit on my own, with the help of SR. 4 months, now. I'll never look back, one day at a time.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks ... This will be an interesting thread.

Alcohol was causing my depression...I was diagnosed
with situational depression. So...I decided to quit.

After many false starts....I read a book
"Under The Influence" I took that information
reconnected to God and AA and finally quit drinking.

It's been a fantastic journey...
I certainly hope everyone will find their way!

DOS 4-25-89
Old 10-19-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

I was out flying a kite, by myself, and running around with it. As I was packing up, I said (out loud) "that's the most exercise I've had in years". I stopped dead in my tracks...This got my attention because it sounded strange. I visualized the years of tipping the beer cans. I visualized all the activities I'd passed on because they'd cut into my drinking time. I visualized all the dates I passed on because they were at night. I visualized all the times I'd exercise only to feel like a hypocrite hours later. I visualized all the stupid things I've done while under the influence. "That's it" I cried! I was so determined to quit, I ran home and searched online for the tools to change my life. I found SR and the rest is history.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd lost the respect of my kids as well as my self respect. I kept trying to stop drinking and kept failing to stay sober. Well now I'm sober almost 99 days. I've got my self respect back, for the most part, but my kids' respect will have to wait til they're able to make sound responsible decisions, cause they must not respect me now based on their sh!tty treatment of me. Good thing I want to be sober FOR MY OWN GOOD cause the respect of my kids is something I'll probably never truly have - and I don't give a good sh!t if they ever do. I'm doing this FOR ME.

My self esteem has never been lower, but thank God I'm not drinking away what little I have left.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know why I'm sober right now. I have no idea how or why I suddenly quit.

I think SR had a whole lot to do with it.

Now every day is a birthday
Old 10-19-2008, 10:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I quit because it was going to kill me as I have a habit of taking to many pills while drinking.

1-15-08
Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

After a New Year's eve that lasted almost 2 weeks, in the early morning hours of Jan 2nd this year I found myself drunk beyond belief once again. I was planning on starting 2008 sober and not to drink anymore, or at least control my drinking and not get drunk for a while. I woke up Jan 1 with the resolve to not get drunk, but by 10:00 I was at the local bar watching bowl games and drinking my first (and planned only) drink of the day. After another and another and another I finally made it home at somewhere around 4am. I stood in front of my bathroom mirror and surrendered, I surrendered that I could not control my drinking and that I was a drunk. I accepted the fact that I was a drunk, I would always be a drunk, and I would die a drunk. I wished death would come soon.

I think my finally giving myself up to the fact that I could not control my drinking I finally surrendered. On January 3rd (my natal birthday as well) I reached out to a recovering alcoholic and went to my first meeting. That night I read the first 164 pages of the big book and knew it was written about me. I finally admitted I am an alcoholic.

Since then I have gotten a sponsor and have worked the first 9 steps. I am currently in the process of making amends and I have never felt more clear in my head. I still think about drinking often but have not gotten close to acting on it.

AA doesn't work for everybody, but it works for me so far.... I have a new life and I no longer want to die.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit because we were going on a family vacation and I realized ahead of time that I actually wanted to remember it, enjoy it, fully participate in it with my husband and kids, not be too tired, too hungover, too busy having drinks to be a part of it all. When I thought about it, I realized I was missing stuff every single day of my life, not just vacation. I stopped drinking, came to SR, and have been sober for a year and 12 days, working on a year and 13!!

Thanks for an interesting thread!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I'd dropped out of a fantastic school (and given up my hard-earned scholarships in the process), I'd lost all my friends, I was going to lose my job. I'd known I was an alcoholic for a long time, but I only decided to get better this past January 13. I'm lucky enough to still be on my parents' insurance, so I trucked off to a treatment center for ten days. Nine months later, still going strong.

I'd never have even gotten started towards sobriety without SR, I know that for sure.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I think you are all the most Awesome people. I share many aspects of many of your stories. I don't feel alone, here. I know this is rambling, it's just nice to know I'm in such good company. THANKS!