Notices

Oh god..not again..codeine!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Oh god..not again..codeine!

Ok, here's my story in a nutshell.
About 7 years ago, I got hooked on over the counter codeine. Gradually, my intake increased time and time again. After 3 or 4 years on them, I was taking about 18-22 of them when I first got up in the morning and about the same amount about an hour 2 before bed. Then I started feeling the usual side-effects pretty badly..bad enough that I don't even want to mention them.
So, finally, I had enough, and went cold turkey.
Worst pain, and hardest thing, hands down i've ever done in my life. No question. That was about 2 or so years ago.
Then about 3-4 months ago, I bought a bottle because I was going through a lot of stress, in fact, almost unbearable amount of stress aside from working 7 days a week for 8 months. Well, guess what? Yeppers, I'm addicted again. Not like before mind you, i'm not taking the usual 18-22 or them twice a day, but i'm taking maybe 10-12 once a day. Well, i'm getting problems again, but i'm terrified as heck to go thru the cold turkey routine again..(it took about 3 days before the pain and suffering went away) although I'm going to have to do this within the next day or 2 because i'm seriously getting myself into trouble here, health wise. I can't go out in public much right now because, normally i'm a very cheerful person, but now, i want to rip out everyone's throat so badly at all hours of the day, and i'm a somewhat larger guy, and this is completely beyond me because i'm NEVER violent, i'm extremely friendly. I feel almost as if i'm going crazy somedays..which is scary as hell.
I'm trying to justify to myself that obviously this is better for me, and the withdrawls won't be as bad as the first time around. By the time I start (hopefully VERY soon) cold turkey on this again, i won't have time to see my doctor, (usually takes a week or 2 to see him b/c he's so busy) so should I wean myself off of it, or just flat out stop? Any advice anyone?
Appreciate anyone taking the time to read this.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't have any advice, Chris (other than to see a dr. even if it isn't your dr). Hang on, though, someone else will come along that can help more. Sundays can be slow, so don't get disappointed if it takes awhile for someone to happen by.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...glad you found us....

I've never taken codeine so I don't know
but ....as an alcoholic I can tell you
the sooner one quits...the easier it is.

Others will be along with more knowledge than I
Old 10-19-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thanks for the welcome. I'll keep an eye on my post for any advice. Anything to make it thru. I've been down the drinking road before, drank pretty hard for awhile, but found it wasn't anywhere near as bad as codeine, especially the withdrawls. I'll keep a watch though. Thanks a bunch...it helps.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chris,

I'm glad you found us.

I found this thread that might help you:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eine-free.html
Old 10-20-2008, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Hi Chris

I've been addicted to otc codeine for the last three years. I have made numerous attempts to get off them, all which have left me feeling like a failure. Anyway, I have a thread on the Substance Abuse forum (trying to live codeine free). You are welcome to read my story, for what it's worth!

I'm no expert, I have no idea how I am going to do this time, but I have only taken pills twice in the last month which is a runaway success for me!! I do go to AA meetings (I drank a LOT on top of the pills) but AA is good for anyone dependant on any chemical, IMHO.

SR has been a lifesaver to me - I can only get to two meetings a week and I am constantly on here, bothering people, LOL! They are great here. I couldn't do this without them.

It's not the giving up, for me. It's the coping without them. Some days are so hard.
Good luck.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amen Lost! The coping is hard! I know..although, I think I've kicked this habit now..again..hopefully, for good.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, Chris!

Keep posting.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you! It's not easy, that's forsure, and I feel for the people going thru the same thing. If you're going cold turkey, BE STRONG, and it will pass. I promise.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you dong Chris?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah I went cold turkey off it and it seems to be getting alot better lately. I was also doing oxy too, so I'm sure that's not speeding up the process.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by bostonluv View Post
How are you dong Chris?
Thanks for asking. I'm having up days and my down days. Not of cravings, but just headaches...BAD ones. I just take an advil or 2 and tough it out otherwise. I've noticed I have a harder time staying asleep though, but, really, that's not TOO big of a deal. Just taking it one step at a time. I certainlly don't want to be hooked like I was again, so, I'll just suffer until things pass..I'll live..I know it.