SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Remembering my friend (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/160039-remembering-my-friend.html)

Eyes2TheSoul 10-19-2008 01:36 AM

Remembering my friend

Derek was one of the first that greeted me. I was new. A stranger to this new job. Relationships had been established and made. I was the newbie. But he spoke to me anyways. An open heart.

We hit it off talking about music. He was somewhat close to my age, only off by 9 years. The others could be my children. We chatted often about music. I chuckled when he knew of a band I listened to in high school.

His smile was contagious. But I did see and hear a sadness from time to time. He was like a lost puppy. Cute and FULL of potential but also insecure.

Being a bartender for many years, I noticed he always had a "drink" stashed in the corner. A different color than a soda or water. He seemed to "protect" it. If only I would of asked???

My friend ....my coworker...died three weeks ago. He lost his battle with drugs and alcohol. I miss him. And I miss the fact that maybe I could of tried harder to help.

He lives on. His heart still beats...but in another body. He saved lives.
That comforts me. I wish he was still here though.

I hope I can live a better life for him.

Glad to be here. JL

Impurrfect 10-19-2008 02:50 AM

(((Eyes)))

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

mimi54321 10-19-2008 03:00 AM

Oh wow, so sorry, thinking of you...
M

timzup 10-19-2008 03:59 AM

Eternal rest be granted to Derek,
Let perpetual light shine upon him,
May he rest in peace within the Kingdom.

Battling through bereavement is a minefield of it's own unique sort. I know for sure because I'm in there myself. No-mans-land. Slowly progressing, step by petrifying step. PM me anytime you like.

Simon

Horselover 10-19-2008 05:37 AM

I am so sorry he is gone Eyes. He sounds like he was very kind soul. I am glad you are here with us. I pray he has found peace now and that you will soon find peace here on earth. Prayers going up for you today.

(((EYES)))

least 10-19-2008 06:28 AM

If at least one person can learn from his sad experience and death, he will not have died for nothing. Somebody here once said that 'some must die so others may live'. Derek's story has strengthened my determination to stay sober. Thank you for sharing this sad tale.

:ghug

dave47 10-19-2008 06:56 AM

Thank you for sharing and sorry for your loss,
best wishes to you.

CarolD 10-19-2008 06:58 AM

I am sad to know Brandon did not win over his addictions.

By sharing his story with us...
perhaps some one else will save their own life.
Thank You....:hug:

Toomutch 10-19-2008 10:24 AM

Eyes,

I am so sorry that Derek lost his battel with addiction.
My prayers go up to his family and all who knew him - including you Eyes.

Suzette

mle-sober 10-19-2008 10:36 AM

I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing. And I'm really glad you're here.