Notices

All it takes is one glass of wine.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All it takes is one glass of wine.

I was doing great, over 30 days, had a little 2 glass lapse last weekend. Last night, a bottle. Day one.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's the thing - when you open the door, I think it's impossible to maintain control.

Eclipse, take it as a lesson learned and stay strong. You can do this!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yeah, that "one glass" crap knocked me down too many times to remember. Fix your relapse in your head as a warning for the future. Use that experience to strengthen your determination to stay sober. Don't give up. Get back up and start again. You CAN do this!

:ghug3
Old 10-18-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I have to agree Eclipse. I know if I started it would probably be controlled for maybe a week or so, but then I would be back where I was. It might even be sooner then a week. Good for you in learning your lesson and thanks for posting about it. Its sure to help many.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I wouldn't last a week, HL, if I took that one glass again. I've been there too many times. Justify it with "I'm an adult" or "I will stop with one glass" or "I don't have to work tomorrow so I can sleep it off". UGH!

Eclipse, glad you stopped after a bottle. Your head and I are really glad you didn't have a whole box of wine!

Hang in there. You did 30, you know you can do it again.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's so true "You did 30, you know you can do it again." I was the box of wine drinker by the way. I also was the jug of Carlo Rossi drinker before the boxes were in. Yuck!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck to you E.

As for me, I know I can't control it. My mindset is, "if I'm going to blow my sobriety, I'm getting wasted!!" Thus, I have to start at zero and stay there.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Even if I had a glass of wine or a whole bottle, the problem is for me that I shift gears and want to do the same thing the next night. I can't just do it then stop the next day and say, "Well I messed up again, let's get back up on the horse again." Gotta stay away at all costs for me personally. Besides I just keep thinking about the hangover the next day and also the thought of "What's the point?" It shuts it down pretty quickly.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

the more I stick around here, or go to meetings, the more often I hear my story retold over and over. I'm back, on day 4. My "slips" (all 3 of them) started with a drink or two out with the hubby, and seriously, the next day a bottle of vodka hidden in the closet. ICK! Those gates swing WIIIIIIIDE open!

I too think I get into the mindset "well I already blew it, why not REALLY blow it!"

sick of blowing it....
Old 10-18-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Geez, see a theme here everyone? Let's learn from our mistakes and say goodbye forever. We are not gonna moderate our drinking. That is a pipe dream.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for confirming once again that 'one is too many and a thousand never enough'.

I had trouble grasping it was the first one that got me into trouble until I drank again after 4 years.

I care not to repeat that insanity today.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
getting there

Hi Eclipse,
Thanks for starting this thread and sorry about your slip. You all have helped me a lot this morning. I have to go to a wedding this afternoon and every single excuse you have mentioned above has already gone through my head this morning! Gee, do you think I have a problem?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Ah weddings... enjoy the opportunity to see how ridiculous everyone else gets! they've made the same excuses you're thinking, and boy will they feel silly tomorrow
Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Eclipse :ghug3

So many times... the same thought goes through my head. Thanks for posting your story. It helps me remember.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, eclipse...

I'm having the same problem right now. It's hard to pull myself out of the hole.

Big hugs.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You have great courage to admit the problem...

Forgive yourself, and try again...:ghug2
You can do this...
Old 10-18-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are strting fresh.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Use this as a learning experience and pick yourself up.
Beating yourself up will hold you down longer.
You are courageous for your honesty and for seeing the problem that it really is.
I know you will emerge from this much stronger!
Old 10-18-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
letting God take the wheel...

oh yeah forgiveness is key girl! I am not always great at taking that advice myself, but I know that its the " welp, might as well just give up, I obviously cant get it right.." mindset after my relapses that kept me drinking far too long...i definetly think it varies and some fall off the horse more than others, I am on my fourth and pray to god final attempt, I think i finally got it! I loved wine too...it was a great passion of mine, now I am passionate about sobriety and getting in really great shape..that never happened while drinking..your amazing and its great that you posted because we all relate..Good luck this time around...you can do it and maybe try working out when you would normally sit around and drink.. just a thought XOXO
Old 10-18-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks! I was so devestated to have to post that I drank. I felt like the top of the world and was SO proud and setting a great example and look what I did! I had a really hard time coming back and posting, cuz I feel like I am letting you all down. But for me it is so therapeutic to let it out with you all of you here because you are the only ones that REALLY know what I am dealing with.

Thanks again!